What is the all time best chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned Husky and currently stihl. I just by the best performing saw. No loyalty either way.
I've owned most of the saws built in the last 20+ yrs, if one color doesn't work for the application, I'll get a different color too:cheers:.
Life's too short to run junk.

Along with my McCulloch 610 Timber Bear that I bought back in 1977:
View attachment 1197947
I started and ran in last week. It will pull a 28" bar and chain if I ask it to.

Those old Homies and Macs weren't fast but they would keep on a chugging. Heavy no AV or brake but good reliable saws.

The Homie super XL was only 60cc and slow, but the reed valve motor would pull a 24" bar in hardwood. I fell and bucked a 50" ash with my fathers years ago. I was young and didn't worry about the white knuckle back then.

You can run a 36” on the 500i, it’s the max stihl USA recommends though, in Australia it 25”
Right
A 25” maintains good balance (which is lost on bar lengths above this), effective oil capability and offers enough power under load for all timber species, especially when the saw is actually worked hard.
"Good balance" I mean yeah sure, I find it balances real nice with a 28", but that's probably preexisting bias from always running it that way.
Although longer bars may be ok in soft species of wood up to 36” in America, it doesn’t change the premise that it won’t be as balanced or oiled appropriately on anything much longer than 25”.
so stihl does say you can run a 36" but it won't be oiled appropriately? I beg to differ. My crew's big saw is a 500 with a 36", we run that thing in big (usually 40"+) wood all day every day and we don't burn up bars or chains any more than the rest. It oils just fine. As for balance, there aren't many saws that have ~good balance~ on 36, 42, 50 inch bars but it kinda doesn't matter cause you need em that big.
Actually, the perfect length for a 500 is probably 32"....
If you want to run 36-42” bars frequently, you’d be better off in every respect with 90+cc’s - a tool that’s designed for that task.
Ohh yeah. I wont be arguing with that one.
The thing is though the 500 CAN do it if you need it to. And it's light for packing around on the steep wet hillsides. And it's the best saw for auto adjusting to elevation changes. That's why it appeals to loggers even if a 395 or a 661 has more power.

I had to put a piston in one that was a day old after user dogging it in a big red oak with a 36 inch bar.
Don't let me tell you your business, I run the saws I don't (usually) fix them. But was the bar length really the issue or did he just Rev it super high before it warmed up? One of our other climbers blew up a couple 500s (lol) holding them wide open before they did their little auto adjust thing.
Or maybe running it too hard before it was broken in. I knew an OLD saw guy who always told me to break in brand new saws by running them light duty until you got a few tanks of gas through them.

Don't let me tell you your business, I run the saws I don't (usually) fix them. But was the bar length really the issue or did he just Rev it super high before it warmed up? One of our other climbers blew up a couple 500s (lol) holding them wide open before they did their little auto adjust thing.
Or maybe running it too hard before it was broken in. I knew an OLD saw guy who always told me to break in brand new saws by running them light duty until you got a few tanks of gas through them.
Or how about a dull chain and forcing the hell out of it through each cut until it heated up then seized.

Those old Homies and Macs weren't fast but they would keep on a chugging. Heavy no AV or brake but good reliable saws.

The Homie super XL was only 60cc and slow, but the reed valve motor would pull a 24" bar in hardwood. I fell and bucked a 50" ash with my fathers years ago. I was young and didn't worry about the white knuckle back then.
Homelite 925 Super was a fast cutting saw!

Listen here, there's three things I'm good at:
1. Slaying big muthaf u c k i n g trees
2. Talking **** on the internet
3. Blowing up chainsaws
so heyyyy maaaaan.... don't tell me MY business!
And you're from Washington state? So soft wood territory. That sums up most of your argument.

Latest posts

Back