What should I upgrade to?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proclive

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone been reading for awhile and just decided to come in ask a question. I purchased my first saw about a year ago for around the home tasks (MS 250). However, I have always wanted to remove a swath of trees on my family property that cuts right through the middle. The biggest one is probably around 3' in diameter. Now I don't think that the little MS 250 is up to this task as there are about 500+ trees to cut down of varying sizes. This project is still off by a few months but I wanted to go ahead and purchase another Stihl (sorry i didn't like the way huskys felt) to do this job. What would be the next useful upgrade do you think?

For a 3' diameter tree and several hundred more, I would want a 361 at a bare minimum and preferably a 441 or a 460.

For a 3' diameter tree and several hundred more, I would want a 361 at a bare minimum and preferably a 441 or a 460.

3' diameter is the largest and not all of the trees are that size. Most are only about 2'. Then of course there is the smaller stuff and brush that has grown around all those trees.

3' diameter is the largest and not all of the trees are that size. Most are only about 2'. Then of course there is the smaller stuff and brush that has grown around all those trees.

2 foot is still pretty big. I would want a 70 plus cc saw.

Husky 372xp or Jonsered 2171, unless you want an unwieldy and overly heavy Stihl (441). :)

It's not that I have to have a Stihl. It's that the dealer is less than a mile away and when I bought the 250 he was very helpful is showing me on how to operate and take care of it. Today he sharpened my chain for free which is always nice. As far as Jonsered I wouldn't even know where to buy that.

I would go with a MS460. It is a good all around saw and should have the power you need. If your dealer is just a mile away, maybe just ask him if he could stop bye and look at your what you are planning to do. He could then suggest a saw to buy. Use the search button if you find yourself looking for information on a saw, there are tons of information on 372s, 460s, 441s, 440s, 7900s. Also, if you keep looking on here, you will most likely buy more than one saw. It's a hard disease to stay away from:chainsaw:.

It's not that I have to have a Stihl. It's that the dealer is less than a mile away and when I bought the 250 he was very helpful is showing me on how to operate and take care of it. Today he sharpened my chain for free which is always nice. As far as Jonsered I wouldn't even know where to buy that.

Ok then, get a 460, not a 441 - if vibes and so-so air filtraton is OK, it is OK if you know what you do - or do much better and get a Dolmar 7900.

Or just get a 372xp/2171, and be happy ever after, even though they doesn't have the same power as the 7900 - everything else is right on those...

sounds like a good guy.maybe give him your business.

that is close and not everyone gets that lucky.i am in the same boat but my guy sells stihl and husky.

when i lived in Michigan,there wasn't alot of choice close by.had to drive a while for anything.there are dealers there now but they suck.for both brands.when i go home and have to stop in,i realize how lucky i am.one of the few good things about Connecticut is the great dealers around.

i even go to far away dealers when i can.i know a guy in eastern CT that is not close to me at all but he is a great guy and takes all the time in the world with you,has alot of parts on hand, and great prices and selection.hard to find that these days.

If you are only going to get one, I would say go with the 361, unless you are rushed for time or something. Sure the bigger saws will be faster on the big stuff, but the 361 will be easier to tote around, easier on the gas, and perfect for the bulk of the work. I would rather spend a little more time on the big 2-3' trunks than have to heft a 46 around limbing stuff up and cutting brush and small trees.

Or you could get a 260 and a 66, that would be a great combo...or..

....of course what you really need is a "golf bag" with your 200, 260, 361, 441, 460, 660, 880 so you always have the perfect saw for the job. :chainsaw:

If you are only going to get one, I would say go with the 361, unless you are rushed for time or something. Sure the bigger saws will be faster on the big stuff, but the 361 will be easier to tote around, easier on the gas, and perfect for the bulk of the work. I would rather spend a little more time on the big 2-3' trunks than have to heft a 46 around limbing stuff up and cutting brush and small trees.

....of course what you really need is a "golf bag" with your 200, 260, 361, 441, 460, 660, 880 so you always have the perfect saw for the job. :chainsaw:
Dude already has a 250.

70cc+ for 24"+ hardwoods. One vote for the 460. Power to rip through your bigger stuff, yet still handles good. Perhaps a bit steep on $$, but well worth it IMO if you can justify the cost.

Haha I know what you are talking about. I do carpentry work and I have 6 different nailers/staplers for the right occasion. I have 4 circular saws and 2 tables saws and multiples of various other tools. Variety is the spice of life right?

Back