What Tachometers are you guys using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboA2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I spent about 25 bucks on one that a youtube channel (steves small engine saloon) recommended and it sucks donkey (most likely user error). I can't get a decent reading. therefor I can't trust it. and it didn't come with direction. I've always tuned by ear but with tech available I'd like to be able to maximize what I can compared to what "sounds" safe to my ear. I know I'm missing on performance.

I’ll give you a hint. It has chintzy looking plastic . Seems to be lean And probably wont be covered under warranty .

I’ll give you a hint. It has chintzy looking plastic . Seems to be lean And probably wont be covered under warranty .
are you talking about the tachometer or the saws I'm working on?

What brand saw are you working on?
Husqvarna 298xp and a 281xp. They were given to me and parts are hard to come by for the 298xp. They're runners and I want to error on the side of caution with a Tach. I'd use it to keep tabs on my normal use saws (461, 026, and Echo 330T) I don't want to push boundaries but I don't want to under sell the performance either.

My tach is an echo, made by opama. My husqvarna dealer is the one who recommended it to me and it seems to work great. I checked other reviews on it and they were all positive. Nothing chintzy about it. Seems to have a pretty quick refresh rate. I’d buy the same one again.

My tach is an echo, made by opama. My husqvarna dealer is the one who recommended it to me and it seems to work great. I checked other reviews on it and they were all positive. Nothing chintzy about it. Seems to have a pretty quick refresh rate. I’d buy the same one again.
thank you I'll check them out

Fast-Tach. Wireless. Distance from the plug wire is critical. Too far away and it won't read. Bought a plastic holder that attaches to the handle bar and it's useless. Have to hold it in my hand near the plug to make it work. But when it works , it is great. Refresh time is much better than the cheap ones with wires.

I tune by ear. I'd be interested to know what my ear says is safe compared to what setting it to factory specs on a tach would put it at. I'd bet most are on the rich side tuned by ear. If I had to buy a tach it would probly be a works tach/hour meter and just mount it on the saw.

I only have to tune maybe 4 or 5 saws per year...so Im not sure if I really need a tacho. But my ear is far from being expert at it. So what about tuning saw at factory setting, then only tune it a tad bit from that starting point ?

If you use a wired tach make sure and get plenty of wraps around the plug wire.
I saw a difference between the suggested 3 wraps and the 5 I ended up using.
The tach settled on a number sooner and seems correct.
Buffer rate is slow with these things... wait for it (the number to change).
Also make sure and set the tach up correctly for piston count and firing. Yeah.... read the manual even if it's in CantonEnglish.

My ear sucks setting up a carb. I moved to M-tronic.

I use a Hardline 8061. It’s the exact same product that Stihl rebrands as their EDT-9. I picked it up from Amazon for about $25.

Latest posts

Back