A Trio of Stihl 07S Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A Stihl 07S was one of the first saws I acquired and rebuilt for my collection years ago. I find them to be one of the most interesting saws Stihl ever made. I'm not aware of another saw with a "hood" like the 07S has. It's also very unique in that it's a 75cc top handle saw. OSHOA would have a fit today, lol!

IMG_2428-L.jpg

IMG_2429-L.jpg

IMG_2430-L.jpg

I like them so well that I bought another to have as a GTG runner. It required a full rebuild. I replaced the P&C and perhaps the crankshaft. I don't recall for sure. It's not a looker by any means, but runs very well. For several years now, I've looked for a nice 1/2 wrap handle for this saw. Just a couple weeks ago, I bought another complete 07S, only for it's nice handle. That handle is now on my GTG runner. Notice the different muffler on this one.
IMG_2446-L.jpg

IMG_2447-L.jpg

IMG_2448-L.jpg

I decided to do this third saw justice, and go through it and get it running good before selling it. It needed some help, but is now running very good, with a nice 170 PSI compression. I hope to get a video of it in the wood tomorrow evening. Notice that this one has a red clutch cover. Most think of the 07S as always having a red cover. However, two of my three are grey, and is the original color. I believe the "hood" on this one was originally red, just as the other two are.
IMG_2439-L.jpg

IMG_2440-L.jpg

IMG_2441-L.jpg

IMG_2442-L.jpg

IMG_2443-L.jpg

IMG_2444-L.jpg

IMG_2445-L.jpg

Great work as always.
That 07S would look really nice next to my 08S and S10. Did you use the same type of paint on the 07s that you used on the 08s?
Yes. Those are the only two that I painted with automotive paint. I now would use a fast drying machine enamel if painting another. That's what's on my Mall Model 6 and Homelite Super 1050. It's less expensive, durable, and makes a nice finish.

would be very interesting to see how these run. i had no idea they were 70cc's. i just figured they were smaller then an 08s which is a turd. would be nifty if they could make a 75cc top handle handle like a 200t

Anyone need a good laugh this morning?OK, this one's on me:(

So, after rebuilding the carb and replacing the fuel line last night, the third one was running good at first. Then it started acting like it was starving for fuel again. So, I swapped carbs with my GTG runner. That didn't help. I checked the compression hot. That was good. I cleaned the points. No better. What is going on here?! Add to this two broken recoil ropes, then a replacement, then a broken and repaired clutch spring. OK, you're starting to get the picture. Finally, I decided to check the new fuel line to see if it might be kinked inside the tank. Well, can you guess what I found? Yup, that's right. OUT OF FUEL!!! There was enough in there to run, but then it would suck air. DUHHHHHHH!!!:ices_rofl::popcorn::sucks:

Did it on a 200t that I put a new top end on. I was so panicked that I blew it up that I pulled the muffler to check before checking the fuel level.

Anyone need a good laugh this morning?OK, this one's on me:(

So, after rebuilding the carb and replacing the fuel line last night, the third one was running good at first. Then it started acting like it was starving for fuel again. So, I swapped carbs with my GTG runner. That didn't help. I checked the compression hot. That was good. I cleaned the points. No better. What is going on here?! Add to this two broken recoil ropes, then a replacement, then a broken and repaired clutch spring. OK, you're starting to get the picture. Finally, I decided to check the new fuel line to see if it might be kinked inside the tank. Well, can you guess what I found? Yup, that's right. OUT OF FUEL!!! There was enough in there to run, but then it would suck air. DUHHHHHHH!!!:ices_rofl::popcorn::sucks:
That's even worse than forgetting to put the caps back on after fueling it up.
But I've never done that before...:rolleyes:

Beautiful 07S's.. Do you know about what time they changed the cases and cranks on these things. I had one with a good case and bad crank, and another with a good crank and bad case. I attempted to mate the two, but they were a little different on the flywheel side. I managed to machine the case to accept the other crank, but I couldn't find the year that it switched over. Mine will be done this winter.. Too short of summer in Alaska to mess with them.

Latest posts

Back