034 Resurrection....:dizzy:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make more sense now :msp_confused:

IMG_0027-3.jpg

Nice fab work there! It always feels good when you can make the tool you need to get a job done.

Ordered bearings from my STIHL Tech buddy. He ordered an OEM clutch side and AM flywheel side bearing :msp_mellow:

Tried splitting the cases last night. I could tell it wanted to come apart. You could see the halves beginning to split along the bottom of the crankcase and along the top of the oil tank. The alignment pins were holding fast however. I gave up and will give it another go another night.

Take a small drift punch and push the pins out. Make sure you push the pins back in when you assemble it. Makes it easier to line the cases back up. Make sure you have all the screws out also. That would suck to break the case because of that.

If you find you need to modify the case splitter, try welding on a fine thread nut. More suface area on the bolt threads and less torque-finer control when turning the stud.

Well I finally got around to driving out the alignment pins last night. However, I still cant get the halves to budge....even with my fancy pancy case splitter :bang:

Just got off the phone with my STIHL tech buddy. He's kinda old school with some of his methods, but they work and have worked for a number of mechanics for quite some time.
I was telling him about the cases not wanting to split.
He just laughed and told me this....

"get a large center punch and a 5lb hammer and give it a whack........she'll split"!

Not that I dont trust him....cause I do, but have any you guys done this?

Are all the screws removed, there's like 6 or 7 of them. Try a little heat to expand the case and break the gasket seal, even a hair dryer will give it enough to do that.

YES, that gasket holds pretty good. Tighten down the splitter to apply pressure and whack it! Just make sure the screws are ALL out or you'll take a chance of breaking the case.

Last edited:
Are all the screws removed, there's like 6 or 7 of them. Try a little heat to expand the case and break the gasket seal, even a hair dryer will give it enough to do that.

YES, that gasket holds pretty good. Tighten down the splitter to apply pressure and whack it! Just make sure the screws are ALL out or you'll take a chance of breaking the case.

Soon as the pins cleared the other case half, the cases were free. I can spin the 2 halves. Gasket isnt an issue.
All 5 screws are out. Just cant get the bearing to let go of the case using the splitter. I think it needs some harmonic vibrations to free it up.....as in blunt force trauma :smile2:

Yep. Heat and a nice whack from one of those orange plastic dead blow hammers will do the trick. If you have welding gloves just set the case on the stove until she gets nice and hot.

So where are we... all pins driven out and all screws removed.. case is still together?

You got it Randy. I gave it a good few whacks with a hard plastic dead blow last nite and NADA.
Might try to put her in the oven tomorrow AM while the wifey is away.
Gotta pull the rubber mounts out tonight.....dont want those going into the oven.

I've got all the parts and pieces for a complete rebuild (minus what youre sending me) and a carb kit.
I need a Zama RB-31 carb kit.

You got it Randy. I gave it a good few whacks with a hard plastic dead blow last nite and NADA.
Might try to put her in the oven tomorrow AM while the wifey is away.
Gotta pull the rubber mounts out tonight.....dont want those going into the oven.

I've got all the parts and pieces for a complete rebuild (minus what youre sending me) and a carb kit.
I need a Zama RB-31 carb kit.

I still haven't sent yet.. want the kit in that box? I can send it Monday if you do.

You said 4 screws? There are more than 4 IIRC, check again. One or two are deep in holes near the oil tank.

I still haven't sent yet.. want the kit in that box? I can send it Monday if you do.

You said 4 screws? There are more than 4 IIRC, check again. One or two are deep in holes near the oil tank.

Sure, throw it in if you want. Let me know how much $.
Nah.....there are 5 bolts & 2 pins. All bolts are out, both pins are punched to clear the other case halve.
The halves rotate freely, just cant get the PTO bearing to let go.

Soon as the pins cleared the other case half, the cases were free. I can spin the 2 halves. Gasket isnt an issue.
All 5 screws are out. Just cant get the bearing to let go of the case using the splitter. I think it needs some harmonic vibrations to free it up.....as in blunt force trauma

Back