034 Resurrection....:dizzy:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is tight tolerances on a press fit.

Lol yeah I thought I'd mentioned that toward the end of my post...

Glad you got her apart! Interested in this thread more so because my 034 is the second and only other saw I've bought new, and still have a soft spot for her.

I guess you could use a propane torch. I never tried it. I always use a heat gun. You can evenly apply heat and keep it warm enough to penetrate through the whole case. I would recommend having the new bearing handy and once the old falls out install the new one unless you have doing something else to the case. No need of heating it twice.

Will a husqvarna case splitter work on a stihl? I am sure this question has been asked somewhere along the line, I just seem to have missed it.

Oh cmon where is the senes of adventure....:)

When I was a kid my father would bring home brown grocery bags FULL of magnesium chips / turnings. He would take them from the belly of his lathe when he was turning mag for certain projects. He'd light the whole bag up in a snow bank. The stuff would burn a whole in frozen earth :rock:

It would be a fun adventure for sure......but not in my basement.

I stay far away from mag and open flames.

Did you get the bearings out yet?

Not yet, havent really touched the cases since I got them split Fri nite. Been busy with the fam up until now. Went out for breakfast, did some grocery shopping, made a beef stew (should be ready by 6pm), doing some photo editing at the moment. Took a bunch of shots at the East Coast Snocross Triple Crown event yesterday. I'd post some pics here but dont want to be culled out (cause it aint saw related ya know!).

Nope....that would be driving the crank/bearing in the opposite direction. Doubt you'd ever remove it using that method without breaking the case halve.

You have to drive it from the outside - in.
A clutch spider will never thread on the flywheel side of the crank. Flywheel nut is right hand thread, clutch spider is left hand thread & different thread pitch to boot.

Not sure if the above quoted statement was made using experience or if your up too late trying to help a fellow AS member finger something out and just over-thinking :wink2:
It happens.

OMG now that I re read that, WHAT WAS I THINKING?!? Yup, up too late, not over thinking, just brain shut off. :bang:

Wife was trying to converse with me, I had just got back after being gone for a week for work, sleep was way overdue, and I absolutely got my crankshaft all twisted backwards. :bang:

Looks like a great time. I wished one of these was close to me.

It was about a 30min drive from home.

Side note: Best friend of mine was in the Pro rankings a few years ago. Had some big sponsors.Bombardier & XP-S Lubricants, Advance Auto Parts, Dayco, K&N...etc. He ran in the 440 & 800 Open Mod classes. His 800 was over 200hp. He qualified & raced at the X-Games in Aspen Colorado 05'.

If you live here in the North Country of NYS, you know his name.....he's Nutts :laugh:

Well, I finally got around to pressing out the crank in installing new bearings yesterday. Got the case all buttoned up.
Worked on it from 10:30-1:30 this AM. All thats left is the top handle, exhaust and recoil.
Without base gasket squish is around .0235"

I'm curious, what you're going to do with the muf? I'm rebuilding an 034 also. I want mine to be very much stock, so I gutted the muffler then beat the front deflector out as far as I could get it to go, which opened the outlet quite a ways.

I'm curious, what you're going to do with the muf? I'm rebuilding an 034 also. I want mine to be very much stock, so I gutted the muffler then beat the front deflector out as far as I could get it to go, which opened the outlet quite a ways.

I have 2 mufflers for this saw. One is pre epa and has a nice size port. That one will be left alone. The other one I have is a later version that appears to be all choked up, which might receive a Husky 266 deflector on the opposite side (recoil side). We'll see how it runs before I do any grinding and welding.

Before

IMG_0030-7.jpg

After

_MG_2042_zps2b6fd4b0.jpg

_MG_2043_zps8efc1064.jpg

_MG_2049_zps4b69c8e7.jpg

_MG_2048_zps029be367.jpg

YES.....I know, my tank vent is on backwards.....already taken care of that!!

Upon final assembly this afternoon, I discovered the wrap handle is severly bent. So if anyone out there has one that youre not using.....I sure would appreciate it.
Drop me a PM or whatever. I've waited all this time to get it running and now I can even fire it up......safely.

Last edited:
Before today, the last time I touched this saw was apparently March 25th.
Sheared flywheel key........damn 10 cent part.
She's all good now. Runs like I believe it should and more. Very impressed with it. :msp_wub:
Anyone want to buy a 10mm 044 :confused:

Just kidding :jester:

Back