2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garden pest control on the job this morning! :drinkingcoffee:
View attachment 1187547
IMG_3489.jpeg
Had a buddy on my snow white habanero plant Friday morning.

View attachment 1187548Had a buddy on my snow white habanero plant Friday morning.
Do you have a water source near your garden?
Your plants look nice and healthy - bug catcher doing his job!

My garden is right next to my fish and frog ponds... and now my new tad tank.
There are so many frogs this year - and I'm loving it! :dancing:

something is eating up corn seed. I plant it 1" deep and get nothing. now it's to late to plant. I don't know what to do to prevent this.
Treated or untreated seed? Seed corn maggot is usually the culprit. I had black cut worm damage this year but that was after the seed germinated and it was through the ground

something is eating up corn seed. I plant it 1" deep and get nothing. now it's to late to plant. I don't know what to do to prevent this.

Dig them up and see what the seeds look like. I've had super sweet varieties that rot in the ground. It's like their higher sugar content and shruken kernels promote decay organisms. I've also noticed it worse where compost had been more recently spread.

I don't usually have much cut worm damage in my corn but I do in my cole crops. I usually dig around until I find them then I pop their little heads!

I've also had crows and thrashers pull up corn to eat the seed, the bastids.

Pop stuff out of the ground a take a look.

ground squirrels here are murder on corn! This year we had second planting rot in the ground. Same seed , same bag, same tractor and planter! Here we plant sweetcorn up til July 10 and usually get a decent crop depending on the weather. This year there wont be anything since the 7 foot tall corn is tasseling at 3 feet and looks ratty as hell! Little cabbage starting to get ready. Nice solid heads,--a bit small but very tasty fried with onions mixed in.
Short day onions are small this year but the long day ones are getting some size to them now so not sure about the quality of them.
Probably wont freeze dry anything this year due to the poor quality of everything. Will can tomatoes IF we have any. Plants look good for now, well some of them do.
My lady friend that runs a nursery gave us 1,200 tomato, pepper, and basil plants that she had left over so we planted them and still have room left.

ground squirrels here are murder on corn! This year we had second planting rot in the ground. Same seed , same bag, same tractor and planter! Here we plant sweetcorn up til July 10 and usually get a decent crop depending on the weather. This year there wont be anything since the 7 foot tall corn is tasseling at 3 feet and looks ratty as hell! Little cabbage starting to get ready. Nice solid heads,--a bit small but very tasty fried with onions mixed in.
Short day onions are small this year but the long day ones are getting some size to them now so not sure about the quality of them.
Probably wont freeze dry anything this year due to the poor quality of everything. Will can tomatoes IF we have any. Plants look good for now, well some of them do.
My lady friend that runs a nursery gave us 1,200 tomato, pepper, and basil plants that she had left over so we planted them and still have room left.
What do you think is causing the issues this year in your garden?

hot dry weather and no rain to wash the chemicals off the leaves is the main problem. They just keep on dumpin **** on the fields and the hot sun evaporates the spray then the wind takes it for miles landing on everything in sight.
Normally we get enough rain to keep the plants washed clean and the sprays washed down and into the ground.

hot dry weather and no rain to wash the chemicals off the leaves is the main problem. They just keep on dumpin **** on the fields and the hot sun evaporates the spray then the wind takes it for miles landing on everything in sight.
Normally we get enough rain to keep the plants washed clean and the sprays washed down and into the ground.
:mad:
My gawd, Sonny! I just looked at a satellite view of Il. and your entire state, except for the large cities, is one massive crop farm! The southern part of the county where I live is like that.
I can't imagine what the ambient air level of pesticides must be where you are??!!
You are one brave man to grow a garden in those conditions!
I'd guess, too, that's one reason your sweet taters do so well - they're underground.
I'm going to stick with potatoes next year also... if I can find them. Couldn't find any sweet potato plants this spring.

Can you plant around the farmers spraying times?
Here. I know they spray twice; once when they plant and again about 6 weeks later. I was able to cover my garden when they sprayed and I think it helped this year.

Couldn't find any sweet potato plants this spring.
You need to research how to make your own sweet potato slips.
I cut one in half, drill some 3" screws in the middle to support it in a quart jar of water in April.
Keep it warm, mine are in the cellar with the wood stove.
Keep the water topped up.
When the shoots are about 6" tall, break them off & stick in a glass of water on a window sill.
Usually ready to plant by mother's day.
Try one now, just to practice & you'll see how easy.
A single potato can give you 8 or 10 slips.
I don't know whey they call em slips.

You need to research how to make your own sweet potato slips.
I cut one in half, drill some 3" screws in the middle to support it in a quart jar of water in April.
Keep it warm, mine are in the cellar with the wood stove.
Keep the water topped up.
When the shoots are about 6" tall, break them off & stick in a glass of water on a window sill.
Usually ready to plant by mother's day.
Try one now, just to practice & you'll see how easy.
A single potato can give you 8 or 10 slips.
I don't know whey they call em slips.
I will do that!
I need a visual though...
Do you cut in half across the middle, or lengthwise?
Is the cut side up, or in the water?

I have a question about the yellow beans... not a cooking question, more of a "what's in the water?" question

I steamed my yellow beans and both times I noticed the water after steaming is reddish-brown... and yes, I washed them first.

Google has nothing.

I used tap water, no salt.

DSC00155.JPG
DSC00156.JPG

I did find this:
When we soak beans, why do we throw the water rather than cook in it?
When beans are soaked in water, the phytates, tannins and polyphenols leak into the water. These phytates, tannins and polyphenols bind to nutrients in food and reduces the absorption of iron, zinc and calcium from food. Soaking the beans increases the enzymatic action of the food and also improve the body’s ability to absorp nutrients. Therefore, if the water in which beans are soaked is used for cooking and not thrown away, then the anti nutrients are again consumed and the higher absorption benefit cannot be achieved.

:popcorn2:
@Mad Professor

Do you cut in half across the middle, or lengthwise?
Is the cut side up, or in the water?
I cut in half across the middle, gives you 2 cone shaped pieces.
drill 3 or 4 screws about the middle to support the potato on the mason jar edge.
Cut end goes down in the water about 2 or so inches.

And I'd eat your yellow beans.
soaking refers to dried beans before cooking.

I cut in half across the middle, gives you 2 cone shaped pieces.
drill 3 or 4 screws about the middle to support the potato on the mason jar edge.
Cut end goes down in the water about 2 or so inches.

And I'd eat your yellow beans.
soaking refers to dried beans before cooking.
Thanks! That's what I imagined, similar to sprouting an avocado pit.

Yes, the beans are delicious. I was just wondering what it is that turns the water red/brown... if it contains lost nutrients or something else.

Back