Another beginner situation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dennis,
You wanna Greffardize my Stihl FS85 Brushcutter and BR400 leaf Blower? I'll bet you could make the leaf blower powerful enough to blow my 110 lb. son over when he wears it.

I would not use a brushcutter for 200 pines that could be up to 5' in diameter. That would be slow cutting. Brushcutters are great for saplings, blackberry stalks, etc, but up to 5" diameter trees is really outside where they are efficient.

Now a gas powered pole saw should do OK and save your back. You could also use a Xmas tree bar for a std. chain saw. It makes it easier to slice off small trunks.

Originally posted by Dennis
I find it interesting that noone has mentioned a brushsaw...for 2-5 inch stems...that would take alot backbreaking work out of the job...granted..the price immediately jumps...but for the ease of the job...I wouldnt use anything but...with proper sharpening and cutting technique..the brushsaw would also be quicker...

I think Eyolf mentioned it...do you plan on keeping the saw? There is always the option of converting it to a grasstrimmer...if you have the need...sometimes you can get a really good brushcutter with both options for about 500cdn...check Shindaiwas pricing...great brushsaws...Husky has a couple out this year that I will be buying, and using on a burn project we are doing for moose habitat...
Just another option...

HI George, I'm no Pro but our family has been cutting poles at or above that elevation for several years in the Bighorn Mnts.You will spend more time carrying your weapon of choice than using it.My small saw is an 028 stihl ,16"bar, 15-16 lbs.At the end of the day it feels like 1600 lbs.Go as light as you can.Forget limbing with the saw,you'll break your back,try holding10-15 lbs at arms length for 5 minutes and you'll see what I mean.I would use a light axe or a long machete.Seems a shame to use poles for firewood.We have built a 36x50 barn,24x14 covered porch and use them for fencing.If you decide to peel any of them let me know,I'll let you in on some things I learned the hard way.
P.S. I heard 5% per 1000'
Good Luck,
Rosco
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having fun cuz I want to do it

346 pipe

Hello dennis and doug,
All this talk about modified 346's Is interesting. When I get john lambert's 346 husky finished we'll have to run them all and see who's 346 outcuts who's. will doug babcocks outcut dennis's? will john lambert's outcut them both. tune in tomarrow.
enclosing a photo of john lambert's 346 pipe
kdhotsaw

KD and Den,

Enough of this stutus quo muffler boredom. Let's pipe everything!
Ken, is that pipe aluminum? When I get home tonight I'll post a pic of a 15cc (.9 CID) pipe I use. Makes about 5 HP at 22,000 on alcohol and 25% nitro, so they say.

Hi George,

Lot's of suggestions to mull over I guess. Well, like everyone else I have an @$$hole so I also have an opinion. I think the idea of going light is imperative. I'll let the professionals suggest saws. (I like my 346xp) I just was wondering if there was some consideration of the future maintainence of this fire break? Stuff has a tendency to grow back. As to the chipper rental, I know up my way they can be pretty pricey (up to $275 a day, less for longer terms) so you might want to rent one a couple of times when you have a full days work instead of paying money for it to sit idle while you make work for it. Good Luck!

aluminum pipe

hello doug,
that is a aluminum pipe. it fits a 2.4 cubic inch r.c. controlled airplane engine. should be just the ticket for john lambert's 346 husky motor.
doug your 3120 husky is on the way. the ups tracking no. is 1z8523310341008438
kdhotsaw

davefr, I have to disagree with you on the fact that the brushsaw is slow...I have a crew of about 12 guys that consistently (every spring/summer) make their money with these saws. They are spacing with them and with a 10"opti blade can more effectively and efficiently work than a chainsaw, in sapling and small trees up to 6"...I have been on the block with them and watched them work...it is an impressive sight what an experienced person can do with a brushsaw...I am decent enough with a chainsaw, but couldnt keep up no how....

Ken...those pipes look nice..wherever did you find the chamber in aluminum? Or did you have it built?
I tried out some chain that I found in mail the other day./..havent timed it yet, but have it on video...it seems pretty fast...;)

aluminum pipe

hello Greff,
That pipe is made by a company in southern california for rc airplanes. it fits 3.0 to 4.8 c.u. engines but the center section is to long, it will have to be modified. the center section is too long. enclosed a photo of a expansion chamber i purchased last weekend. its for a cr-80. the center section measurement is 15.5 inches so if i build a 8.5- inch header it should be just right for a 372 or 2171 woods saw.
kdhotsaw

you'd still have to limb and buck those poles. might be kinda tricky with a brush saw. 200 2-5" poles shouldn't be that big a deal, should it, a couple of days or so?

OK, I confess that I was a "newbie" with my brushcutter!!

Originally posted by Dennis
davefr, I have to disagree with you on the fact that the brushsaw is slow...I have a crew of about 12 guys that consistently (every spring/summer) make their money with these saws. They are spacing with them and with a 10"opti blade can more effectively and efficiently work than a chainsaw, in sapling and small trees up to 6"...I have been on the block with them and watched them work...it is an impressive sight what an experienced person can do with a brushsaw...I am decent enough with a chainsaw, but couldnt keep up no how....

I like a long,light khukuri for limbing small stuff.Himalayan imports sells first-rate stuff.you can even have blades custom made in nepal for cheap. Khukuris are more ergonomic than a machete and don't transfer much shock to the hand or arm.A 22" 22oz kobra or sirupati is a lightsaber in light limbs and can be used for hatchet-like work as well.stay away from the indian tourist stuff though,it's junk and has given the khuk a bad rep.a machete works good too but isn't as much fun.

George, prepare for a sh*t storm of replies to this post but, the Stihl 017 is on sale almost everywhere for 159.99 this time of year. This saw has few fans on this board, but for the work you have in front of you this would be a fine saw. Someone on this board knows of these saws being used professionaly in bucket trucks. Check e-bay to see the kind of re-sale value the 017 has, buy a new one use it for your project and sell it on e-bay, the use of the saw might cost you $25.00 this way! Oh yeah, where'd the 2 other fingers go?

Latest posts

Back