Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amsoils "in house lab" testing was a complete joke. They never even took the time to set the carbs on the trimmers they used and that's just the beginning.

I will bet money that Amsoil has either not tested Saber using the Jaso FD test regime or if they did it will not pass. Probably the former.

It's well known by many who have tried that Saber doesn't burn all that clean at ratios from 50:1 on down. This is important because for instance the jaso FD smoke gets IIRC is ran at a 10:1 oil ratio.
I checked with them. They do indeed have the required test engines, and they have used them to internally verify JASO FD standards. If you want to call them liars, that is your prerogative.

Response to my query:
"AMSOIL does have its own in-house mechanical testing laboratory for verifying our oil's performance in actual engines and allows us to do product development in-house. In addition to this in-house testing, AMSOIL also uses independent third-party engine testing performed in accordance to JASO standards, and utilizing the specific engines needed to perform these tests. The third-party testing also allows the results to be unbiased."

I will also mention that I have encountered several people on YouTube who have evaluated Amsoil Saber at 80:1 on multiple saws that were run hard for years. They looked better than those using the Stihl Ultra at 50:1 when the engines were torn down: less wear and carbon build-up, and a visible oil film in the engine. While these evaluations were not under controlled conditions, the overall picture is clear. I remember one of the guy's last names: Flagg. But when I see several people independently coming to the same conclusion, I have to give it some credibility.

I checked with them. They do indeed have the required test engines, and they have used them to internally verify JASO FD standards. If you want to call them liars, that is your prerogative.
Well, I emailed them asking them why they did not have a Jaso certified oil and they dodged the question completely. When I replied trying to pin them down they didn't respond. This was telling to me.
I doubt they have the required test engines. You probably got some flunky in the marketing department. Regardless I would love to talk to this person. Please provide their contact information.
But let's say they did have the engines. Why then would they run a very sloppy test using trimmer engines and publish it in their marketing? Why then would they not then spend the small amount of money to have the oil certified? Why would you not publish the results?
You do realise the things you do to make an oil work at 100:1 are counter productive to passing an engine test at 10:1, which is what ratio one of the JASO FD tests specs?
I am saying whoever you talked to is lieing.
It's also worth noting that on their website they in the past claimed Saber to "meet" JASO FD. They no longer claim that on their website.

Well, I emailed them asking them why they did not have a Jaso certified oil and they dodged the question completely. When I replied trying to pin them down they didn't respond. This was telling to me.
I doubt they have the required test engines. You probably got some flunky in the marketing department. Regardless I would love to talk to this person. Please provide their contact information.
But let's say they did have the engines. Why then would they run a very sloppy test using trimmer engines and publish it in their marketing? Why then would they not then spend the small amount of money to have the oil certified? Why would you not publish the results?
You do realise the things you do to make an oil work at 100:1 are counter productive to passing an engine test at 10:1, which is what ratio one of the JASO FD tests specs?
I am saying whoever you talked to is lieing.
It's also worth noting that on their website they in the past claimed Saber to "meet" JASO FD. They no longer claim that on their website.
You asked for a contact. This will not be helpful, as there is no person's name, but here it is.

AMSOIL Technical Services
Tech Line: 715-399-8324
Email: [email protected]

Did they provide whom the third party test company was? I would think at minimum they should be able to provide the test results and at minimum who did the testing. It all sounds extremely suspicious imo.
You are welcome to contact them.

You are welcome to contact them.
So they didn't provide any of that information then? Pretty basic stuff for any vendor to provide any third party testing results along with the company that did the testing. Just saying they had it done is telling, and your stark defending and side stepping of the question is very telling.

So they didn't provide any of that information then? Pretty basic stuff for any vendor to provide any third party testing results along with the company that did the testing. Just saying they had it done is telling, and your stark defending and side stepping of the question is very telling.
No side stepping. I asked them and they answered. I did not ask what engines they used. I have no financial interest in Amsoil. What I do have is more than 2 million vehicle miles using their products with extended oil change intervals, with zero oil-related problems. That gives them credibility in my book. There are several 2-cycle mechanics on You-tube that have evaluated their Saber product on a variety of saws with good results. Why don't you ask them some very specific questions and post their answers here?

No side stepping. I asked them and they answered. I did not ask what engines they used. I have no financial interest in Amsoil. What I do have is more than 2 million vehicle miles using their products with extended oil change intervals, with zero oil-related problems. That gives them credibility in my book. There are several 2-cycle mechanics on You-tube that have evaluated their Saber product on a variety of saws with good results. Why don't you ask them some very specific questions and post their answers here?
2 million miles is nothing BTW, probably should stop bragging about it. Worked heavy duty diesel most my life, put more miles on my service truck in a year then most will in 10 years driving. Worked on extremely high hour machines, working in some of the harshest Conditions imaginable, rebuilt thousands of engines at this point. Oil related failures are a extremely small percentage of failures. Your experience would have received the same results with any number of oils, making it an antidote at best.
You certainly seem to have a vested interest in amsoil. If not, you've reached some sort of fan Boi status that is unparalleled. You've stated, you asked several questions about their testing and certification (lack of) amd their response is "we have our oil tested by a third party." Buy didn't tell you whom the third party is. Full stop. Thats a red flag of bs to the highest degree. If you can't see that it's not my problem. Nor do I care to do the r&d you should have done when questioning them.

2 million miles is nothing BTW, probably should stop bragging about it. Worked heavy duty diesel most my life, put more miles on my service truck in a year then most will in 10 years driving. Worked on extremely high hour machines, working in some of the harshest Conditions imaginable, rebuilt thousands of engines at this point. Oil related failures are a extremely small percentage of failures. Your experience would have received the same results with any number of oils, making it an antidote at best.
You certainly seem to have a vested interest in amsoil. If not, you've reached some sort of fan Boi status that is unparalleled. You've stated, you asked several questions about their testing and certification (lack of) amd their response is "we have our oil tested by a third party." Buy didn't tell you whom the third party is. Full stop. Thats a red flag of bs to the highest degree. If you can't see that it's not my problem. Nor do I care to do the r&d you should have done when questioning them.
Bragging? Very odd that you would think that was what I was doing. I am just relating a satisfied customer experience. My experience was with cars and light trucks, and they are not designed to last as long as heavy duty trucks such as the one you drove. But my oil change interval was 25000 miles in most cases (except for my current F350 where it is 10,000 miles. ) I also use it on my tractors with a 200 hour interval. When I had a diesel Suburban, I once ran it to 30,000 miles and then drew a sample and had the oil tested. It met the viscosity, base number, detergent and anti-wear additives expected on a new oil, though I am sure all were depleted to some degree. The main change was high soot loading, which I attribute to the fact that the Suburban diesel was a really crappy engine.

Bragging? Very odd that you would think that was what I was doing. I am just relating a satisfied customer experience. My experience was with cars and light trucks, and they are not designed to last as long as heavy duty trucks such as the one you drove. But my oil change interval was 25000 miles in most cases (except for my current F350 where it is 10,000 miles. ) I also use it on my tractors with a 200 hour interval. When I had a diesel Suburban, I once ran it to 30,000 miles and then drew a sample and had the oil tested. It met the viscosity, base number, detergent and anti-wear additives expected on a new oil, though I am sure all were depleted to some degree. The main change was high soot loading, which I attribute to the fact that the Suburban diesel was a really crappy engine.
I can say with 100% certainty that a used oil sample after 30k miles will not and can not test out as being equal to a new oil. Didn't happen. In fact AW,,detergent,TBN all decline with time and anyone who is knowledgeable would know this.

Did they provide whom the third party test company was? I would think at minimum they should be able to provide the test results and at minimum who did the testing. It all sounds extremely suspicious imo.
To be clear Hermio claimed Amsoil has the Jaso test engines.
Yet no posted results and instead they post some trimmer test where they didn't even adjust the carbs..

To be clear Hermio claimed Amsoil has the Jaso test engines.
Yet no posted results and instead they post some trimmer test where they didn't even adjust the carbs..
He also claimed they had third party testing done. Which every vendor I've ever felt with is usually mire then happy to fork over the test results. To the point, we just had a bullion from a semi automated pneumatic/electric cylinder that during a test by tuv, they found under certain circumstances they won't get to the mfgs advertised cycle span. Which happens to be how we use them. All testing data from tuv was forked right over.

He also claimed they had third party testing done. Which every vendor I've ever felt with is usually mire then happy to fork over the test results. To the point, we just had a bullion from a semi automated pneumatic/electric cylinder that during a test by tuv, they found under certain circumstances they won't get to the mfgs advertised cycle span. Which happens to be how we use them. All testing data from tuv was forked right over.
Amsoil has a long history of making false, and misleading statements. They do make some decent products, but they are by no means magical as their marketing would have you believe. I trust nothing they say without proof.
I will say again that I would find it highly unlikely a oil formulated to work at 100:1 would pass the JASO FD tests from a purely technical standpoint. Just like an oil formulated to pass NMMA TCW3 will not pass JASO FC/FD.

Back