Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, just having trouble getting a straight answer anywhere about what the lubricity of R99 renewable diesel is at the pump. Found a paper showing that R99 without any lubricity additives is better than ULS dino without lubricity additives, but neither comply engine mfg specs until lubricity additives are.......added.

Wtf is the lubricity after it's been treated, when it comes out of the pump, though?

R99 has similar lubrication properties as ulsd, it's basically a drop in replacment for ulsd, slightly less btu per lb. Mass produced bio diesel typically has a higher lubricity rating. I've been lead to believe it has to do with its chemical make up and slightly higher density vs r99/ulsd. In reality they are all pretty close to the same. the edge going to bio diesel, but just slightly.

I've seen lubricity for biodiesel being quite a bit higher than ULSD and R99, but ULSD and R99 being pretty well equal.

Found an R99 pump that's barely out of my way, and it's a buck a gallon cheaper than ULSD. Lots of behind the scenes reasons for R99 existing at all and why it's cheaper, and basically none of them I agree with, but also nothing I can do anything about. It's super high quality fuel for a buck a gallon less, I'd be dumb not to run it.

I had this book marked from years ago.
Interesting read, even if there's no sources sited.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/diesel-lubricity-additive-study-results.125503/
I don't agree with the ratios they made up themselves, they are arbitrary and "just felt good". I also didn't like that they didn't test the bio diesel by itself, but it did have good results at a 50 to 1 ratio.
Edit: I'll also include a second thought, related to bio diesel. The lubricity content can vary from batch to batch and also with base stocks used, this also effects cetane rating, it's oxidative stability among other things. I think it's a big reason why it's been regulated to b20 mix, besides all it's other downfalls.

I've skimmed that report before. Didn't realize they didn't use mix ratios that were what the product manufacturer specified, which completely invalidates the test for those products.

I've skimmed that report before. Didn't realize they didn't use mix ratios that were what the product manufacturer specified, which completely invalidates the test for those products.
They made up the bio diesel, motor oil, and other things that didn't have a ratio listed on the label. So the major marketed additives were used at the correct ratios. How they picked 200 to 1 for the motor oil and 50 to 1 for the bio diesel is beyond me. Just dumbness imo.

They made up the bio diesel, motor oil, and other things that didn't have a ratio listed on the label. So the major marketed additives were used at the correct ratios. How they picked 200 to 1 for the motor oil and 50 to 1 for the bio diesel is beyond me. Just dumbness imo.

I've heard of people using 200:1 for two stroke oil, so it makes sense to test that.

Most pump biodiesel mixes are 5%, so that's the ratio they should have tested for biodiesel.

I can say with 100% certainty that a used oil sample after 30k miles will not and can not test out as being equal to a new oil. Didn't happen. In fact AW,,detergent,TBN all decline with time and anyone who is knowledgeable would know this.
You misunderstand what I am saying. I am not saying there was no change between Amsoil oil when new and after 30,000 miles. I am sure there were changes. But the changes did not take the oil outside of new oil requirements. The base number and viscosity were within new oil specs, as were detergency and anti-wear additives. That is probably because Amsoil starts out with higher additive concentrations to begin with. I stand by what I said, as I did send the sample in and I did get the results I claimed. But I changed the oil change frequency to 25000 miles due to the high soot content.

I've heard of people using 200:1 for two stroke oil, so it makes sense to test that.

Most pump biodiesel mixes are 5%, so that's the ratio they should have tested for biodiesel.
They were testing used engine oil at the 200 to 1. I've heard of the ounce per gallon for 2 stroke oil, 128:1.
I agree, although I don't know what or if there's any bio content in the diesel around here. They should have tested a common % blend.

Cp4 aren't renowed for longevity no matter what you do to them. Looking at the filter for metal flakes basically means damage had been done, but doesn't quantify the extent of damage. The pump would need disassembled for that.

Cp4 aren't renowed for longevity no matter what you do to them. Looking at the filter for metal flakes basically means damage had been done, but doesn't quantify the extent of damage. The pump would need disassembled for that.
Correct and they are known for failure, the idea is seeing the degradation particles captured as well as any additives captured by the filters.

The filters shouldn't be capturing any additives they should be in solution, not suspension. I don't like the how much metal in the filter, for my previously mentioned reson. The pumps already going out by the time you see metal in the filter. I do see where you're coming from though. Less metal = less wear.

The filters shouldn't be capturing any additives they should be in solution, not suspension. I don't like the how much metal in the filter, for my previously mentioned reson. The pumps already going out by the time you see metal in the filter. I do see where you're coming from though. Less metal = less wear.
Most diesel filters today are 10-20 ish micron rated and are capable of removing some of the additives found in oils especially the dual layered variety. I am surprised a magnetic band or cage has not been added to them in recent years.

You misunderstand what I am saying. I am not saying there was no change between Amsoil oil when new and after 30,000 miles. I am sure there were changes. But the changes did not take the oil outside of new oil requirements. The base number and viscosity were within new oil specs, as were detergency and anti-wear additives. That is probably because Amsoil starts out with higher additive concentrations to begin with. I stand by what I said, as I did send the sample in and I did get the results I claimed. But I changed the oil change frequency to 25000 miles due to the high soot content.
What are you even saying?
What where the specs for the used sample and what are the specs for the new one?
Additive depletion tracks pretty close to mileage in most normal conditions btw.

I find that highly unlikely.
Here is a list of fuel filter ratings for 2003-2007 5.9L cummings, the newer ones are even stricter on the particles captured

Fleet guard FS19579 ---10 micron
FS19855---10 micron--replaced the FS 19579
FS19856---7 micron
Wix 33585------10 micron
Baldwin PS7977-----5 micron
Donaldson P550800----7 micron

Here is a list of fuel filter ratings for 2003-2007 5.9L cummings, the newer ones are even stricter on the particles captured

Fleet guard FS19579 ---10 micron
FS19855---10 micron--replaced the FS 19579
FS19856---7 micron
Wix 33585------10 micron
Baldwin PS7977-----5 micron
Donaldson P550800----7 micron
Additives are in solution.

Most diesel filters today are 10-20 ish micron rated and are capable of removing some of the additives found in oils especially the dual layered variety. I am surprised a magnetic band or cage has not been added to them in recent years.
10-20 micron on a common rail isnt typical for a final filter. 5.9L cummins uses a cp3 not a cp4. They don't have the issues a cp4 does. Cummins quick serve shows oe filter has7 micron rating. Anything above would be an incorrect filter. 2007.5 and up has a 5 micron rating.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721_083414_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721_083414_Drive.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 1
Back