Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were shilling, I would expect to get paid for it. But I do not. I happen to believe that most of what Todd does at Project Farm is well-thought out, thorough and technically sound, as well as practical and useful. I also have seen a lot of data on Amsoil, including chemical analysis, as well as more than a few anecdotal stories about how well their products work, which also matches my own experience with their products. I note that the chief detractor of both of these organizations on this forum has been quite cagey about what his supposed college degree is. I suspect it is not in science, technology, engineering or math, as he does not seem to have a clue about how science actually works.
You've seen a lot of data, and I suppose that accounts for something to someone. To us guys in the field, it doesn't mean ****. Reputable companies like Chevron, Shell and Mobil don't have to **** around with meaningless facts and figures to try and flatter the folks who don't have the grease under their fingernails to know the truth.

You've seen a lot of data, and I suppose that accounts for something to someone. To us guys in the field, it doesn't mean ****. Reputable companies like Chevron, Shell and Mobil don't have to **** around with meaningless facts and figures to try and flatter the folks who don't have the grease under their fingernails to know the truth.
He doesn't get it, never will. Big difference between 3 gallons and 20+ going into the crankcase, occasionally using a vehicle vs working a machine 3 shifts 360 days a year. Companies figured out who makes the best lubes years ago. Amsoil never was or will be on any major job site, coal mine, quarry etc.

I have also seen many testimonials in different sections of this forum from dozens of Amsoil users, along with my own personal experience. I also know of a diesel mechanic that keeps about 4 dozen school busses running, who uses nothing but Amsoil in his personal vehicles. Amsoil has a higher concentration of anti-wear additives than any of the big brands you mentioned, and therefore tests better in extreme pressure tests. It also does better in the Noack volatility tests. I believe the main reason many heavy equipment operators do not use it is false economy. They buy a cheaper oil and change it more often. That works, but costs more in the long run.

He doesn't get it, never will. Big difference between 3 gallons and 20+ going into the crankcase, occasionally using a vehicle vs working a machine 3 shifts 360 days a year. Companies figured out who makes the best lubes years ago. Amsoil never was or will be on any major job site, coal mine, quarry etc.
Actually, running an engine for 3 shifts 360 days per year is much easier on the engine and the oil than intermittent use, such as stopping and starting frequently in traffic and taking short trips. According to Bobistheoilguy, 90% of an engine's wear occurs during startup. I don't know if that figure is accurate, but I am sure that starting up an engine is way harder on it than running it at operating temperature.

I have also seen many testimonials in different sections of this forum from dozens of Amsoil users, along with my own personal experience. I also know of a diesel mechanic that keeps about 4 dozen school busses running, who uses nothing but Amsoil in his personal vehicles. Amsoil has a higher concentration of anti-wear additives than any of the big brands you mentioned, and therefore tests better in extreme pressure tests. It also does better in the Noack volatility tests. I believe the main reason many heavy equipment operators do not use it is false economy. They buy a cheaper oil and change it more often. That works, but costs more in the long run.
If it was worth it, it would be the standard of the industry, and it obviously is not.

They buy a cheaper oil and change it more often. That works, but costs more in the long run.

These guys have operating costs calculated and tracked down to the penny. If it cost less to go with longer oil change intervals with a more expensive oil, that's what they'd do.

Personally, I looked into Amsoil. I'd have to run it 4x longer just to break even vs. what I use. I'm a big fan of cheap clean oil being better than dirty expensive oil, so I'll stick with my cheap stuff and change it frequently.

If it was worth it, it would be the standard of the industry, and it obviously is not.
If there were such a thing as a standard of the industry, all operators would use the same oil. But they do not. Some buy Shell, some buy Chevron, some buy Exxon, and yes, some buy Amsoil. You give fleet operators way too much credit when you say they have costs down to the penny. They do not.

These guys have operating costs calculated and tracked down to the penny. If it cost less to go with longer oil change intervals with a more expensive oil, that's what they'd do.

Personally, I looked into Amsoil. I'd have to run it 4x longer just to break even vs. what I use. I'm a big fan of cheap clean oil being better than dirty expensive oil, so I'll stick with my cheap stuff and change it frequently.
That's fine. But I would say you should change every 3000-5000 miles with cheap oil. I change oil every 25000 miles on most of my vehicles, changing filters every 12,500 miles. I have been doing this for more than 40 years, on many different vehicles adding up to several million miles. I have never worn an engine out. I normally keep most vehicles for about 250,000 miles, as the body and interior are pretty worn out by then.

If there were such a thing as a standard of the industry, all operators would use the same oil. But they do not. Some buy Shell, some buy Chevron, some buy Exxon, and yes, some buy Amsoil. You give fleet operators way too much credit when you say they have costs down to the penny. They do not.
For every truck on the road running Amsoil, there are thousands running Delo, thousands running Rotella, and thousands running Delvac. You mean to tell me that they're all wrong and you're right because you've read a testimonial from some mom and pop excavating outfit?

For every truck on the road running Amsoil, there are thousands running Delo, thousands running Rotella, and thousands running Delvac. You mean to tell me that they're all wrong and you're right because you've read a testimonial from some mom and pop excavating outfit?
Do you really believe they have all gathered quantitative data as to which oil gets the best fuel economy and which makes the engines last the longest? If they did that, wouldn't they all use the same product? Why do some use Delo and some use Rotella? I can tell you from years of working for a major process equipment manufacturer that few customers actually gather longevity and repair data on anything. I worked in an industry where some manufacturers made products that typically lasted 20-25 years and others lasted 3 to 5 years. The ones that lasted 3-5 years were typically 15-25% cheaper than the ones that lasted over 20 years. The cost of downtime obliterates the up-front cost savings. Yet, customers still buy the cheap brands, even though that is the wrong economic choice in terms of return on investment. I believe it is the same when making decisions about which oil to buy.

Do you really believe they have all gathered quantitative data as to which oil gets the best fuel economy and which makes the engines last the longest? If they did that, wouldn't they all use the same product? Why do some use Delo and some use Rotella? I can tell you from years of working for a major process equipment manufacturer that few customers actually gather longevity and repair data on anything. I worked in an industry where some manufacturers made products that typically lasted 20-25 years and others lasted 3 to 5 years. The ones that lasted 3-5 years were typically 15-25% cheaper than the ones that lasted over 20 years. The cost of downtime obliterates the up-front cost savings. Yet, customers still buy the cheap brands, even though that is the wrong economic choice in terms of return on investment. I believe it is the same when making decisions about which oil to buy.
Nope. We run Chevron products because that's what the vendor carries in 55 gallon barrels. We run Rotella in our smaller equipment because it comes from a different vendor who carries it in quarts, gallons and 5 gallon pails. They could flip brands tomorrow, and it wouldn't change a thing for our service intervals. I'd be 100% confident switching all of it to Delvac as well. No reason to waste time and money with some obscure, small time, pyramid scheme oil company who doesn't own a refinery based on the testimonials of a mom and pop excavating company and a backyard chemist.

Nope. We run Chevron products because that's what the vendor carries in 55 gallon barrels. We run Rotella in our smaller equipment because it comes from a different vendor who carries it in quarts, gallons and 5 gallon pails. They could flip brands tomorrow, and it wouldn't change a thing for our service intervals. I'd be 100% confident switching all of it to Delvac as well. No reason to waste time and money with some obscure, small time, pyramid scheme oil company who doesn't own a refinery based on the testimonials of a mom and pop excavating company and a backyard chemist.
I did not mention any excavating company. I also did not mention any backyard chemist. The chemical tests I refer to have been done by independent testing labs, as well as certified tests by the oil manufacturer. Do you know which is best between Chevron, Delvac or other products? I doubt it. You seem to believe that all the best products must come from large companies. But that is not always the case. High-volume marketers are often targeting price buyers. Smaller companies often offer superior products at a premium price. And then there are some large companies that offer brands at different quality levels. Contrast Black and Decker with DeWalt. Both are owned by the same company, but the brands target different customers. Based on all I have seen as well as my personal experience, I believe Amsoil does indeed market superior products to those that are mass-marketed by the big oil companies. Frankly, I don't care what oil you or anybody else uses. I don't have any financial stake in the game. But I dislike it when people disparage a company and its products without evidence.

I did not mention any excavating company. I also did not mention any backyard chemist. The chemical tests I refer to have been done by independent testing labs, as well as certified tests by the oil manufacturer. Do you know which is best between Chevron, Delvac or other products? I doubt it. You seem to believe that all the best products must come from large companies. But that is not always the case. High-volume marketers are often targeting price buyers. Smaller companies often offer superior products at a premium price. And then there are some large companies that offer brands at different quality levels. Contrast Black and Decker with DeWalt. Both are owned by the same company, but the brands target different customers. Based on all I have seen as well as my personal experience, I believe Amsoil does indeed market superior products to those that are mass-marketed by the big oil companies. Frankly, I don't care what oil you or anybody else uses. I don't have any financial stake in the game. But I dislike it when people disparage a company and its products without evidence.
None of the 3 are best between them, they are interchangeable, readily available and cost effective, unlike Amsoil which has none of those qualities. Once again, if it was worth the hassle, we'd all be using it and everything else would be collecting dust on the shelves.

None of the 3 are best between them, they are interchangeable, readily available and cost effective, unlike Amsoil which has none of those qualities. Once again, if it was worth the hassle, we'd all be using it and everything else would be collecting dust on the shelves.
Not true. Most people are unwilling to spend more for a better product. That is why some people buy Black and Decker instead of Bosch or Milwaukee. Moreover, most people do not have the means to determine what product is best. That includes operators of heavy equipment. And I can guarantee that there are differences in composition between all of the products you mentioned, so there will be finite differences in performance. Ultimately, you don't really know which is best. The differences might be small, but they are there. Specific to Amsoil, it has been shown to have a higher level of anti-wear additives, detergents and a higher base number than the oils made by the big manufacturers. It also has lower volatility loss, as shown by the Noack tests. Although engine use is not considered extreme pressure, Amsoil performs better in both the Timken test and the 4-ball wear test, indicating it has better lubricity under extreme pressure conditions. I find it hard to believe that an oil which provides better wear protection under EP conditions would not also provide better wear protection under less severe conditions.

Actually, running an engine for 3 shifts 360 days per year is much easier on the engine and the oil than intermittent use, such as stopping and starting frequently in traffic and taking short trips. According to Bobistheoilguy, 90% of an engine's wear occurs during startup. I don't know if that figure is accurate, but I am sure that starting up an engine is way harder on it than running it at operating temperature.

It's much more than just running at operating temperature. Depending on application, Industrial engines run at a much higher duty cycle than anything found in a passenger vehicle, and will push an oil to its limit.
Aside from that diesel engine oil has a much harder job to offer the same protection as anything in a gasoline engine. The parameters are so vastly different they aren't comparable.

Not true. Most people are unwilling to spend more for a better product. That is why some people buy Black and Decker instead of Bosch or Milwaukee. Moreover, most people do not have the means to determine what product is best. That includes operators of heavy equipment. And I can guarantee that there are differences in composition between all of the products you mentioned, so there will be finite differences in performance. Ultimately, you don't really know which is best. The differences might be small, but they are there. Specific to Amsoil, it has been shown to have a higher level of anti-wear additives, detergents and a higher base number than the oils made by the big manufacturers. It also has lower volatility loss, as shown by the Noack tests. Although engine use is not considered extreme pressure, Amsoil performs better in both the Timken test and the 4-ball wear test, indicating it has better lubricity under extreme pressure conditions. I find it hard to believe that an oil which provides better wear protection under EP conditions would not also provide better wear protection under less severe conditions.
100% true, and the industry has proven it 1,000,000 over, you just refuse to admit it.

Back