Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amsoil have lost a lot of customers from their advertising for Saber. I don’t like the company, how they distribute products, their terrible and inaccurate testing and the cost of the oil out here, the only thing I like about Amsoil is how clean it burns and lack of smoke I get with Saber.

IMO and experience 40-50:1 is too much oil for most ope with Saber and I found it does leave spooge, but for saws 40:1 burns clean. Anything that tends to 4 stroke fairly frequently / light load applications (hedge trimmers, line trimmers etc) I’d happily run 65:1 in.
Amsoil actually recommenďs no riçher than 50:1 todáy . I have run it @ 40:1 with my ported saws , but 50 :1 with my homeowner for many yrs with no issues . Only $14 a quart so reasonable pricing also . P.S. 70:1 is the lightest mix i have utilized & that was in a liquid cooled Marine engine application (1980 Evinrude 90 V4) , it was flawless for over 10 yrs idling or flat out !

Where does Stihl source there 2 stroke oil from?

Or who makes it?

That is what I run, have run, and have had good success with it. 50:1 ratio
No need to wonder. I sent them a message this morning and they sent back:
"Regarding your inquiry, we would like to inform you that the STIHL Ultra 2 Stroke oil is manufactured by: Omni Specialty Packaging, LLC"
On that note, we would also like to share the safety datasheet for the product which you can access using this link below:

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/MSDS/Stihl_HP_Ultra.pdf

I'm assuming all Stihl 2 stroke as of now is sourced from Omni

To those claiming trimmers, blowers,edgers won't burn clean. I say BS. It's all in the tuning.
You can’t out tune a lack of load or a limited ignition coil. If the hedge trimmer hits the ignition limiter constantly because you’ve leaned it out, I don’t care what you do with the screws, it’s making spooge Edit: hedge trimmers are the worst. Line trimmers and blowers aren’t so bad as they see more load, but still don’t burn as clean as a saw, just like lonewolf said. They’ll burn better if you lean them out. However when you get into a lot of thick grass they should be retuned to suite the extra load like you would changing bar lengths.

You can’t out tune a lack of load or a limited ignition coil. If the hedge trimmer hits the ignition limiter constantly because you’ve leaned it out, I don’t care what you do with the screws, it’s making spooge Edit: hedge trimmers are the worst. Line trimmers and blowers aren’t so bad as they see more load, but still don’t burn as clean as a saw, just like lonewolf said. They’ll burn better if you lean them out. However when you get into a lot of thick grass they should be retuned to suite the extra load like you would changing bar lengths.
I have three machines with limited coils in my garage tight now they all run clean. One is a Kombi power head that sees use with a hedge trimmer and edger. In fact, if anything they run cleaner than saws.
Shall I take pics?

I have three machines with limited coils in my garage tight now they all run clean. One is a Kombi power head that sees use with a hedge trimmer and edger. In fact if anything the run cleaner than saws.
Shall I take pics?
Redmax EXZ260PH used with edger and trimmer mostly, which is very low load, but also occasionally with a trimmer and broom.
20240802_220533.jpg
Husky/Redmax 580BTS blower.
20240802_220441.jpg
Redmax BCZ3060TS trimmer.
20240802_220503.jpg
Note that all of these are bone dry and are machines used in my sons lawncare business. The two Redmax's have only seen Red Armor at 50:1. The blower is very high hour and has seen damn near everything, but the last five gallons have been with Redmax FD oil I got for free.

Redmax EXZ260PH used with edger and trimmer mostly, which is very low load, but also occasionally with a trimmer and broom.
View attachment 1194750
Husky/Redmax 580BTS blower.
View attachment 1194751
Redmax BCZ3060TS trimmer.
View attachment 1194752
Note that all of these are bone dry and are machines used in my sons lawncare business. The two Redmax's have only seen Red Armor at 50:1. The blower is very high hour and has seen damn near everything, but the last five gallons have been with Redmax FD oil I got for free.
This is why I said, Amsoil at 40-50:1 doesn’t burn clean in low load engines, that 65:1 is where they burn best on low load engines. You’re taking my original post out of content by changing oils.

IMG_0125.jpeg

This is why I said, Amsoil at 40-50:1 doesn’t burn clean in low load engines, that 65:1 is where they burn best on low load engines. You’re taking my original post out of content by changing oils.

View attachment 1194799
I wasn't responding to you specifically. Others said something similar. Any oil that won't burn clean at 40-50:1 simply isn't a clean burning oil. In addition I would not expect an oil formulated to be run at 100:1 to burn clean at double the concentration or more.

Well, bwalker might say you are lying. But real-world results matter.
Only if they fit the narrative you want to tell. You've made that much obvious.
No need to wonder. I sent them a message this morning and they sent back:
"Regarding your inquiry, we would like to inform you that the STIHL Ultra 2 Stroke oil is manufactured by: Omni Specialty Packaging, LLC"
On that note, we would also like to share the safety datasheet for the product which you can access using this link below:

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/MSDS/Stihl_HP_Ultra.pdf

I'm assuming all Stihl 2 stroke as of now is sourced from Omni
Did they specify usa market or global market? recent posts from overseas with "mfg by Castrol" right on the bottle.

Only if they fit the narrative you want to tell. You've made that much obvious.

Did they specify usa market or global market? recent posts from overseas with "mfg by Castrol" right on the bottle.
No, they didn't. I copied here what they sent me but Omni is in Shreveport LA so at least the US and probably North America. Europe, Oceana and Africa maybe different but didn't ask

No, they didn't. I copied here what they sent me but Omni is in Shreveport LA so at least the US and probably North America. Europe, Oceana and Africa maybe different but didn't ask
The US oil was always made by a non major 3rd party. The Canadian stuff has always been made by Castrol.
I would ask why does it matter?

The US oil was always made by a non major 3rd party. The Canadian stuff has always been made by Castrol.
It doesn’t matter unless you’re planning on going to Canada to get oil. The stuff made by Castrol is supposedly pretty decent and clean. The stuff made in Shreveport is not

Doesn't at least to me. Someone above asked who made it in the US so I asked Stihl. As long as the specs are the same it is all the same

Latest posts

Back