Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where does Stihl source there 2 stroke oil from?

Or who makes it?

That is what I run, have run, and have had good success with it. 50:1 ratio

Amsoil have lost a lot of customers from their advertising for Saber. I don’t like the company, how they distribute products, their terrible and inaccurate testing and the cost of the oil out here, the only thing I like about Amsoil is how clean it burns and lack of smoke I get with Saber.

IMO and experience 40-50:1 is too much oil for most ope with Saber and I found it does leave spooge, but for saws 40:1 burns clean. Anything that tends to 4 stroke fairly frequently / light load applications (hedge trimmers, line trimmers etc) I’d happily run 65:1 in.
If you get that spooge you are running a bit rich.

If you get that spooge you are running a bit rich.
Hey mate, i find that it’s more related to a lack of load than it is rich or lean. You can only lean something out so far before the lack of load takes over regardless. I know you do this commercially so you have a lot more experience. How do you find you lean your engines like hedge trimmers for example, out enough to stop them 4 stroking without them being way too lean when there isn’t enough load placed on them?

Hey mate, i find that it’s more related to a lack of load than it is rich or lean. You can only lean something out so far before the lack of load takes over regardless. I know you do this commercially so you have a lot more experience. How do you find you lean your engines like hedge trimmers for example, out enough to stop them 4 stroking without them being way too lean when there isn’t enough load placed on them?
I feel that the saws always burn cleaner than the weedwackers and handheld blowers. I prefer to be closer to the rich side . I think the small stuff could us 50 to 1 whereas I use 40 to one in the saws. Furthermore, I just tune them where they are supposed to be.

I feel that the saws always burn cleaner than the weedwackers and handheld blowers. I prefer to be closer to the rich side . I think the small stuff could us 50 to 1 whereas I use 40 to one in the saws. Furthermore, I just tune them where they are supposed to be.
Yep that’s been my experience too 👍

Where does Stihl source there 2 stroke oil from?

Or who makes it?

That is what I run, have run, and have had good success with it. 50:1 ratio
Whoever sells them oil with the lowest bid. I was told Castrol sometimes, I quit using it because they don't stay with the same company for their base. It's different everywhere. The stuff where I live in made somewhere in Louisiana, Spectre I believe. Not 4 sure

Whoever sells them oil with the lowest bid. I was told Castrol sometimes, I quit using it because they don't stay with the same company for their base. It's different everywhere. The stuff where I live in made somewhere in Louisiana, Spectre I believe. Not 4 sure
Does it matter as long as it meets specs?

Does it matter as long as it meets specs?
IMO no, I just stick with one product that works for me. I don't care what anyone uses. I have seen some pretty odd ball stuff in equipment and it works for them, it's all personal choice. Sure isn't worth arguing about. I just look for something that is worth the money and keeps my money makers going for a long life. I don't care if people use diesel for a premix oil or used engine oil for bar oil it's, their equipment.

IMO no, I just stick with one product that works for me. I don't care what anyone uses. I have seen some pretty odd ball stuff in equipment and it works for them, it's all personal choice. Sure isn't worth arguing about. I just look for something that is worth the money and keeps my money makers going for a long life. I don't care if people use diesel fuel for a premix oil or used engine oil for bar oil it's, their equipment.

Out here it’s $40 Aud per L for STIHL ultra, it’s enough to put anyone off if the smell doesn’t.

Amsoil have lost a lot of customers from their advertising for Saber. I don’t like the company, how they distribute products, their terrible and inaccurate testing and the cost of the oil out here, the only thing I like about Amsoil is how clean it burns and lack of smoke I get with Saber.

IMO and experience 40-50:1 is too much oil for most ope with Saber and I found it does leave spooge, but for saws 40:1 burns clean. Anything that tends to 4 stroke fairly frequently / light load applications (hedge trimmers, line trimmers etc) I’d happily run 65:1 in.
I run it at 100:1 in everything except my paramotor. I run that at 66:1.

I run it at 100:1 in everything except my paramotor. I run that at 66:1.
We all have our preferred ratios 👍 for light loads it seems to get by at 80-100:1, but it’s just too dry in the bottom end for me. Long term, I think a bit extra oil is beneficial. Edit: I’ve always wanted to try paramotoring, but there is too much red tape out here.

Back