Gas Cans/Ethanol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those replacement spout kits can also be found on ebay. My experience with them has been that they work just as well as the ones from TSC, but are much less expensive.
Good to know.

3 things kill plastic - heat, UV, and OZONE. If you store it in a shop, barn, or garage with electric motors stopping / starting throughout the day, I'd wager it's due to the ozone formed.

I've got around 12 or so plastic cans that have had E10, diesel, and E0 in them for DECADES without issue. Some of my cans are 30+ years old!
All of my plastic gas jugs are over 40 years old and none of them have had this issue yet. One thing I have noticed is that they hold more fuel than what it says on the jug. A few of my 5 gallon jugs will hold 6.5 - 7 gallons.

Would you take a guess what would cause a can to get brittle like this? Given your background you might know.
It is possible that this jug was a bad mold pour when made and came out of the mold with thin wall areas.
Yeah, our "lovely" Commonwealth deems it necessary to "protect" us from ourselves in every aspect of life. They tell us what insurance we can buy while forcing us to buy auto and health insurance, which firearms can be sold / not sold due to some arbitrary "safety" ******** & black guns are banned I suppose because they scare these city dwellers, etc., etc., etc., ... Don't get me started!!! :mad:

Back when I worked recycling for a huge corporate trash hauler for a major MA metro account, I grabbed every single gas can that got tossed out, knowing that some day I'd be able to source spouts for them. Thank God I did!! That's a large portion of my fuel sourcing now, now that some stations flip out when I show up with a 55 gallon drum. A real PITA filling that drum from the cans, though! Hard to find funnels with flutes in the spout for air to escape! (I have a pump in the big bung). :mad:

I also hoarded 5 & 6 gallon buckets - came in super handy after building a waste oil burner.

As with EVERYTHING today, from lawnmowers & pickup trucks, to toasters & washing machines.

The fix is in for those absolute GARBAGE EPA mandated fuel cans: https://gasspouts.com/
Taxachusetts would be a much better name for this State.

All of my plastic gas jugs are over 40 years old and none of them have had this issue yet. One thing I have noticed is that they hold more fuel than what it says on the jug. A few of my 5 gallon jugs will hold 6.5 - 7 gallons.

Fuel cans are designed to only hold the listed amount, the rest is to allow for an air gap and expansion contraction. That said, if I'm going to use it immediately and the weather isn't too hot, I force in a bit more too :)

However if mixing with two stroke, the extra space and having an exact amount of fuel is quite helpful.

It is possible that this jug was a bad mold pour when made and came out of the mold with thin wall areas.

Taxachusetts would be a much better name for this State.
I have no idea as I didn't look at it that closely.
The only thing I noted as the plastic was very brittle. Pieces could be broken off very easily.

Lots of consumer goods are packaged in very similar materials. Milk jugs, some juice or tea jugs, windshield washer fluid, etc. Any issues with any of those plastics in the same area? If not, that would likely rule out external contaminants.

My money is still on a goofy blend at the factory.

Lots of consumer goods are packaged in very similar materials. Milk jugs, some juice or tea jugs, windshield washer fluid, etc. Any issues with any of those plastics in the same area? If not, that would likely rule out external contaminants.

My money is still on a goofy blend at the factory.
No, and I have a cabinet full of assorted oil jugs close to where this can spent most of its life.
You are probably correct. A QC foul up either in the plastic beads or the molding equipment.

I have no idea as I didn't look at it that closely.
The only thing I noted as the plastic was very brittle. Pieces could be broken off very easily.
It sounds like thin wall plastic. I cracked one of mine on the upper corner a long time ago. The jug is like an 1/8" thick. I repaired it using my soldering iron and other plastic scraps that I had. That was at least 15 years ago and it has not cracked since.

They do seem to be transitioning to something other than a tractor and farm supply store. I am not sure what they are transitioning into. I get cheap bar oil there and occasionally buy clothes or hardware. But actual farm equipment or parts is getting rarer. They do have the Bad Boy ZTRs, and those seem pretty good to me. I mow about 5 acres and have had a Bad Boy for about 15 years. We have had only minor repairs.
They are stocking to their customer base. There are far more yuppies in Volvo SUV's than serious farmers and the want a lawnmower belt, gloves and bag of popcorn. I delivered to a number of TSC's in the SE. You could definitely see the difference from Norfolk, VA to Wilmington,NC in what they carried

4 pages so far with just one picture posted??
One sketchy picture is hardly enough to draw any scientific conclusions.
It's like the posting for a used car or better yet motorcycle that states: "it was running when parked."
How are we to start conspiracy theories off of one picture. Ugh

4 pages so far with just one picture posted??
One sketchy picture is hardly enough to draw any scientific conclusions.
It's like the posting for a used car or better yet motorcycle that states: "it was running when parked."
How are we to start conspiracy theories off of one picture. Ugh
Would ten pics of the same thing make a difference?

I'd post what they are "transitioning" to but it would probably get deleted.

They recently issued a public apology for their poor corporate decisions. Easy to find if interested.
They lost so much $$ when people found out what they were doing is what caused them to backtrack. As others have said, they are not focused on farming/ag supply as much, seem to be catering more to suburban homeowner.

They lost so much $$ when people found out what they were doing is what caused them to backtrack. As others have said, they are not focused on farming/ag supply as much, seem to be catering more to suburban homeowner.
My local ACE and Agway has more for the farmer than TC

The ones around here treat their employees pretty crappy too. I worked with a guy who had been a former store manager for them, and have had multiple students who have worked there. None of them had good things to say about TSC at the end of the day.

TSC has become more of a "home, lawn, and garden" store than a true ag store anymore.

Back