Handling Damaged Batteries

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we did not have enough to worry anout . . .

Washington Post article, today, noting how Li-ion batteries, including those in EVs, submerged in salt water, could ignite (!). 48 such fires reported in Florida, from Hurricane Helene (!).

Philbert

“When the powerful Milton makes landfall Wednesday night or early Thursday, it’s expected to generate devastating storm surge that could inundate coastal communities with up to 15 feet of saltwater in some areas. Saltwater is corrosive and leaving electric vehicles submerged in it could lead to the large lithium-ion batteries short circuiting and catching fire.

“Anything with those lithium-ion batteries needs to be moved out of the surge zones where it could be exposed to saltwater,” Cathie Perkins, Pinellas County’s emergency management director, said during a Wednesday morning briefing. Lithium-ion batteries are also used to power golf carts, electric bicycles and scooters”

Our wonderful Governor, Wretched Whitmer signed into law, a bill that removed control of where Townships (like ours) could control where solar or wind installations could be located and turned that control over to the State department of Environmental control and that includes battery storage installations and we now have an outfit that wants to locate a large battery storage facility right behind some residential housing. it will be a Li-Ion battery storage facility and our local fire department is ill equipped to fight a battery fire if one occurs and under the new law, they can locate them anywhere without township control.

In essence, they could locate a Li-Ion battery storage facility on my farm ground behind our home as they can exercise the right of imminent domain as well.

Our Governor dances in lockstep with the current administration and she' is of course, a Democrat and no, I did not vote for her either.

I for one, don't want a huge Li-Ion battery facility anywhere near us but now, we have no choice. I'm not against wind or solar power, but I am against where it's located in our very rural township.

Talk about a bad law, there is is.

I'm surprised anyone is using lithium ion for gird scale power storage. Lifepo4 is less $$$$/kwh and hugely safer.

Maybe check and see if the governor or her husband is on the board of any of these companies. Follow the money.

I'm surprised anyone is using lithium ion for gird scale power storage. Lifepo4 is less $$$$/kwh and hugely safer.

Maybe check and see if the governor or her husband is on the board of any of these companies. Follow the money.
It all boils down to energy density. Life p04 isn't nearly as energy dense as li-ion or li-po. Higher energy density has greater risk of going boom. Just how it is. Any lithium battery that fails will be proportional to its state of charge. Having said that, there a huge push to "recycle" used ev batteries into this kind of stuff. They won't see the high cyclic rates ev batteries do, so the thought it to use grid scale storage as an end of life cycle before "recycling" the ev batteries. It's an interesting concept but I think it will be much more difficult in practice.

It all boils down to energy density. Life p04 isn't nearly as energy dense as li-ion or li-po. Higher energy density has greater risk of going boom. Just how it is. Any lithium battery that fails will be proportional to its state of charge. Having said that, there a huge push to "recycle" used ev batteries into this kind of stuff. They won't see the high cyclic rates ev batteries do, so the thought it to use grid scale storage as an end of life cycle before "recycling" the ev batteries. It's an interesting concept but I think it will be much more difficult in practice.

In grid scale, you have space, and you're not hauling it around, so weight matters less too. Most important is that the $$$/kwh storage is lower for lifepo4, and lifepo4 also doesn't go kaboom like lithium ion does.

Recycled EV batteries makes more sense, though. That'd be lower $$$/kwh than new lifepo4 cells.

Edit: Ironically, the lifepo4 cells in my solar power system were originally destined to go into EVs. They didn't quite make the grade, and got sold on the secondary market. Had to add my own BMS, but very low $$$/kwh.

Back