Home made log spliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cledoux

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey,

I had a old log splitter give to me, the engine was shot so I bought a 13Hp brigs and stratton, and it is running a 22gpm pump. and small and medium logs work just fine for spitting, but when it comes to bigger logs it won't split, it doesn't have enough power. The hydraulic cylinder is only 16 old crappy one but it is going to be replaced eventually to a bigger. An then i adjusted the pressure on the pump and now it just bogs the engine down to the point it shuts it off. What am I doing wrong. I can upload a video and pictures of my log splitter. Is the engine to small for the pump or what. Thanks

Chris

I ran a 22gpm pump for years with a 15hp kohler, and when I re powered another splitter (same pump) I went with a V twin, I think it is 17hp... Seems likely that your 13 is "close". if you adjust the pressure a bit lower, it will work. but there in is the problem of not having enough oomph when you need it.
a 2 stage pump is what I hope you have! and that 13 should be enough to kick it to the second stage.
There is a adjustment on the pump for when it will drop out high speed, about 500 psi, and run the low speed to the max pressure (2250, if stock).

I run a 5 inch ram on mine, gets me a honest 22 tons68817139920__97E1D233-29B3-4CF7-B442-960BC88F2C1C.jpg

I ran a 22gpm pump for years with a 15hp kohler, and when I re powered another splitter (same pump) I went with a V twin, I think it is 17hp... Seems likely that your 13 is "close". if you adjust the pressure a bit lower, it will work. but there in is the problem of not having enough oomph when you need it.
a 2 stage pump is what I hope you have! and that 13 should be enough to kick it to the second stage.
There is a adjustment on the pump for when it will drop out high speed, about 500 psi, and run the low speed to the max pressure (2250, if stock).

I run a 5 inch ram on mine, gets me a honest 22 tonsView attachment 1213759
Some pumps have a high low adjustment, not all. most pumps haven't for years now. Kick down should be 700 psi, not 500. It sounds more like his relief is too high. 13hp should be fine for 22gpm 2 stage pump, if he has a 2 stage.
I'm running a 16 gpm, 9hp, 2800 psi relief and pump kick down is the factory 700 psi. (Non adjustable) Same size 5" cylinder on my current home built splitter. Been operating fine for the past 10 years.

it is a 13.50 briggs and stratton and this is the pump that i got for it

RYFT Hydraulic Log Splitter Pump 22GPM 2-Stage Gear Pump, HI/LO Gear Pump, Wood Splitter Pump 3000 PSI, 3600RPM Aluminum Log Splitters Pump for Log Splitters

Or can it also be my hydraulic tank, isn’t big enough I read on a website for the pump you need at least a 12 gallon tank.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3410.jpeg
    6.8 MB
  • IMG_3407.mov
    3.4 MB
Unless you're running the tank dry, your tank isn't the issue. This wouldnt cause the engine to stall. It would cause the pump to suck air and cavitate. The tank requirement is to keep the fluid from getting too hot. Your issues sounds like either an engine problem or a relief problem.

Unless you're running the tank dry, your tank isn't the issue. This wouldnt cause the engine to stall. It would cause the pump to suck air and cavitate. The tank requirement is to keep the fluid from getting too hot. Your issues sounds like either an engine problem or a relief problem.
The engine is practically brand new, cause the problem is i can split really big round logs with it doesn't have enough power. Even if have the log on the one side and split it multiple times. maybe tonight i will attach a video on what is happening. but i will check the tank with a flash light to see how much fluid is in it. Its an old control valve, So i don't think has a relief valve on it, I maybe be wrong. i got it the log splitter for about 50 bucks and all i did was put a new engine on it and a pump. nothing else, but i am going to put a longer hydraulic cylinder

Power is directly proportionate to cylinder size and relief setting. Most splitter valves have the relief built in. You didn't post a good enough picture of it to point out where it is. Irregardless, you're limited to the pressure the weakest component can take. Seeing it's an older unit, I would guess it's going to be a ~2000 psi system, possibly 2250 psi. Another note, the street 90s arnt really rated for high pressure either, another reason why I think it's a lower pressure system. Larger pumps have zero effect on the power, they just flow more oil. Making the cylinder retract and extend faster.
Longer cylinder will require more oil, you're already running a pretty little tank, one you may run out of oil with a longer cylinder, and 2 you're going to get the oil hot fast.
Anyway, here's a good calculator to figure out the force of the cylinder.
https://www.baumhydraulics.com/images/calculators/cyl_calc.htm
You should have a pressure gauge teed in before the valve so you know what pressure the relief kicks in at. It's a baseline means to see how the system is operating. You'll also be able to tell when the pump kicks out into high pressure mode (what psi)
Without these basic things, and not being there in person, we're just guessing what your problem could be. If everything ends up checking out, you'll need a larger cylinder to generate more splitting force.

Power is directly proportionate to cylinder size and relief setting. Most splitter valves have the relief built in. You didn't post a good enough picture of it to point out where it is. Irregardless, you're limited to the pressure the weakest component can take. Seeing it's an older unit, I would guess it's going to be a ~2000 psi system, possibly 2250 psi. Another note, the street 90s arnt really rated for high pressure either, another reason why I think it's a lower pressure system. Larger pumps have zero effect on the power, they just flow more oil. Making the cylinder retract and extend faster.
Longer cylinder will require more oil, you're already running a pretty little tank, one you may run out of oil with a longer cylinder, and 2 you're going to get the oil hot fast.
Anyway, here's a good calculator to figure out the force of the cylinder.
https://www.baumhydraulics.com/images/calculators/cyl_calc.htm
You should have a pressure gauge teed in before the valve so you know what pressure the relief kicks in at. It's a baseline means to see how the system is operating. You'll also be able to tell when the pump kicks out into high pressure mode (what psi)
Without these basic things, and not being there in person, we're just guessing what your problem could be. If everything ends up checking out, you'll need a larger cylinder to generate more splitting force.
Here is the hydraulic valve that I have on it. I’m probably just going to start pre building one for base and just start buy a new cylinder, tank and valve. For now it works for the time being. But I would like to build a bad a$$ one in the future that would take on bigger longs. Cause that’s what basically what I have in my back yard that the tornado came and up rooted everything in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpeg
    4.3 MB
  • IMG_3402.jpeg
    6.4 MB
Back