Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super Wiz66

If anyone is looking for any Super Wiz66 parts, I'm going to be parting one out. It's a runner that's missing the recoil, but there's a lot of good parts if anyone is looking for anything specific shoot me a PM, and hopefully I can help you out.

Tomorrow picking up a 707-G for $60.00 has a 42 inch bar on it the fella said. He stated needs some carb tinkering but wants to run. Have an extra new RK-88-HL carb kit for the #117 makes life good when I stock up on HL kits for old saws. 5.8cu inches around 96cc give or take and with the gear drive a wood killer indeed:hmm3grin2orange:

Tomorrow picking up a 707-G for $60.00 has a 42 inch bar on it the fella said. He stated needs some carb tinkering but wants to run. Have an extra new RK-88-HL carb kit for the #117 makes life good when I stock up on HL kits for old saws. 5.8cu inches around 96cc give or take and with the gear drive a wood killer indeed:hmm3grin2orange:

Good deal!:msp_thumbup:

Whats a XL-88? Same as a XL-98? Is it a little less than a 101 or way more better? Inquiring minds need to know.

Co-joined twins. They have to share a muffler for now.

View attachment 206641
206641d1320982174-xl-101-notes-013-small-jpg

View attachment 206642
206642d1320982178-xl-101-notes-014-small-jpg

Latest one is on the left.

I have lots of leftover misc. if anyone needs sumpthin'.

Last edited:
Whats a XL-88? Same as a XL-98? Is it a little less than a 101 or way more better? Inquiring minds need to know.

It's just an earlier XL-98 Jeff. Aaron wants/needs an XL-88/98 BTW. They're usually WAY overpriced for the condition in my area (I'm not paying hundreds for a dusted, clapped out old concrete saw). The XL-88 has a less effective air filter setup than the later XL-98 series cutoff/demo/concrete saws.

It's just an earlier XL-98 Jeff. Aaron wants/needs an XL-88/98 BTW. They're usually WAY overpriced for the condition in my area (I'm not paying hundreds for a dusted, clapped out old concrete saw). The XL-88 has a less effective air filter setup than the later XL-98 series cutoff/demo/concrete saws.

Wow. Homelite was way out front of ICS on concrete saws, cause mine has a bar and chain and what looks to be an oiler plug on top. It runs, I have that on good authority, but have not myself yet, and is not all clapped out or dusted. I do need an air filter. Pictures if I can remember how. I'm suspecting the XL-88 rewind and cover was transfered to something else, but what?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Co-joined twins. They have to share a muffler for now.

View attachment 206641
206641d1320982174-xl-101-notes-013-small-jpg

View attachment 206642
206642d1320982178-xl-101-notes-014-small-jpg

Latest one is on the left.

I have lots of leftover misc. if anyone needs sumpthin'.

They look nice. Everything worked out then less the muffler. I have a ratted out one but don't think it will do you any good. I still have not messed anymore with my 113 to see what is bothering it:msp_sad:

They look nice. Everything worked out then less the muffler. I have a ratted out one but don't think it will do you any good. I still have not messed anymore with my 113 to see what is bothering it:msp_sad:

Lets see....................The handle from your saw is on the right and the crankcase now has a 101 handle bolted to it on the left. They both now have 1.750" bore cylinders. So.......................................That makes them 102's...................I think, sorta.

Interesting discovery.

Was trying to start my resurected 101 type #4 (see above on left) without any success. Decided maybe the absense of a muffler might have some effect on the cylinder charge as all I could get was an occasional pop. Robbed #3 of his muffler and put him on #4 and presto he started.

I think the saw needed a tad bit of backpressure to keep the air/fuel mix from being diluted.

Wow. Homelite was way out front of ICS on concrete saws, cause mine has a bar and chain and what looks to be an oiler plug on top. It runs, I have that on good authority, but have not myself yet, and is not all clapped out or dusted. I do need an air filter. Pictures if I can remember how. I'm suspecting the XL-88 rewind and cover was transfered to something else, but what?

You suspect correctly Jeff. That XL-88 starter assembly was swapped onto some unidentified XL-900 series chainsaw. Most XL-88-98 family demo saws don't even have the tank casting drilled for the oil filler cap. Just a blank casting with the sealing ridge visible. I've seen a few with a black plastic cap pressed into the fill hole though. IIRC, the XL-88 just has the chainsaw style air filter setup (with the cover that's on that frankensaw), while the XL-98 saws have the round AF setup on top. Some of the late XL-98C saws have a plastic gas tank filler extension neck with a large filler cap. Probably easier to fill..............but BUTT UGLY. I still wouldn't turn my nose up at one though!:D

One more Homelite

I noticed I was getting a lot of Homelite top handle saw parts around the garage so I stuck 'em all together and made a complete Homelite XL out of them. Haven't put any fuel in it yet but I did pour some in the spark plug hole and it ran as long as there was fuel so it shows some promise! I still have some parts left over but not enough for another one...

I noticed I was getting a lot of Homelite top handle saw parts around the garage so I stuck 'em all together and made a complete Homelite XL out of them. Haven't put any fuel in it yet but I did pour some in the spark plug hole and it ran as long as there was fuel so it shows some promise! I still have some parts left over but not enough for another one...

A good crank/rod assembly?

I got my Super 2 put back together and discovered the surface for the clutch bearing had been eaten down .010"-.105" makeing the clutch drum wobble/drag. Not only that but I got the wrong ring from the 'Greek guy' and had only 90psi comp. Set it aside for later.

I got my Super 2 put back together and discovered the surface for the clutch bearing had been eaten down .010"-.105" makeing the clutch drum wobble/drag. Not only that but I got the wrong ring from the 'Greek guy' and had only 90psi comp. Set it aside for later.

I'm not sure if I have another engine or not, I'll have to do some digging. If I had a crank or rod it would be inside an engine and I think I may have used my last engine on the Frankensaw.

You suspect correctly Jeff. That XL-88 starter assembly was swapped onto some unidentified XL-900 series chainsaw. Most XL-88-98 family demo saws don't even have the tank casting drilled for the oil filler cap. Just a blank casting with the sealing ridge visible. I've seen a few with a black plastic cap pressed into the fill hole though. IIRC, the XL-88 just has the chainsaw style air filter setup (with the cover that's on that frankensaw), while the XL-98 saws have the round AF setup on top. Some of the late XL-98C saws have a plastic gas tank filler extension neck with a large filler cap. Probably easier to fill..............but BUTT UGLY. I still wouldn't turn my nose up at one though!:D

Gee, Aaron, frankensaw seems a little harsh, its only a rewind and cover, and not even a made to fit one, its from the right series and almost the same shade of red.
Any way to tell which it is, a 923 or a 925?

I've been looking on Acres site and noticed the XL, Super 2 saws were available in several different sizes. I wonder if the crank and rod assemblies was changed when they went to the the different size engines. I actually have no clue of what size engine I put in that XL that I just put together. The engines are identical on the outside except for the newest plastic ones with the primer bulb. I try to stay away from them because of all the hoses on that model.

Gee, Aaron, frankensaw seems a little harsh, its only a rewind and cover, and not even a made to fit one, its from the right series and almost the same shade of red.
Any way to tell which it is, a 923 or a 925?

It's not a negative term for me Jeff. Also just about impossible to nail down exactly what model the saw actually was.............especially if it was put together (or rebuilt) from parts. Homelite changed back and forth between several charactaristics throughout the XL700/800/900 series run. The saws were all built with the same stroke, but went back and forth between 2.0" and 2.125" bores......sometimes in the same model. There were both 5.01 and 4.71 ci 925's for example. The last SXL925's were 4.71ci..................even though most of the earlier 925's were 5.01ci. The info for this saw series on Acres site is particularly sketchy and error filled. That's understandable, as this saw series is probably the most chaotic of any that Homelite produced. I doubt there's a man alive today that can make sense of it all with 100% certainty.

Homelite played with ignition systems (both phelon and wicco points systems, then prestolite and possibly other electronic systems), compression releases (or the lack of 'em............with the last saws again not having 'em), manual oiler pump locations (some in the C-5 type location.........and others in the XL-12 type location), starter cover designs (some with slots, others with the 'shaver' grilles), exhaust port shapes (some bridged, some oval), intake manifold shapes, paint and accent/trim colors, compression ratios, piston ring types, and other things I can't even remember now. Some charactaristics came and went. The model # system made no sense. I have a frankensaw XL 900 series project saw that appears to be an XL 903, yet has charactaristics that supposedly aren't "right" for that model. Chris T has an XL 700-ish frankensaw as well.

Last edited:
It's not a negative term for me Jeff. Also just about impossible to nail down exactly what model the saw actually was.............especially if it was put together (or rebuilt) from parts. Homelite changed back and forth between several charactaristics throughout the XL700/800/900 series run. The saws were all built with the same stroke, but went back and forth between 2.0" and 2.125" bores......sometimes in the same model. There were both 5.01 and 4.71 ci 925's for example. The last SXL925's were 4.71ci..................even though most of the earlier 925's were 5.01ci. The info for this saw series on Acres site is particularly sketchy and error filled. That's understandable, as this saw series is probably the most chaotic of any that Homelite produced. I doubt there's a man alive today that can make sense of it all with 100% certainty.

Homelite played with ignition systems (both phelon and wicco points systems, then prestolite and possibly other electronic systems), compression releases (or the lack of 'em............with the last saws again not having 'em), manual oiler pump locations (some in the C-5 type location.........and others in the XL-12 type location), starter cover designs (some with slots, others with the 'shaver' grilles), exhaust port shapes (some bridged, some oval), intake manifold shapes, paint and accent/trim colors, compression ratios, piston ring types, and other things I can't even remember now. Some charactaristics came and went. The model # system made no sense. I have a frankensaw XL 900 series project saw that appears to be an XL 903, yet has charactaristics that supposedly aren't "right" for that model. Chris T has an XL 700-ish frankensaw as well.

Kinda makes it hard to get parts for it. Especially hard for the next owner who won't have a clue what it is!

Back