Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda makes it hard to get parts for it. Especially hard for the next owner who won't have a clue what it is!

Yep. Homelite use about 27,000,000 different part numbers for the pistons, cylinders, and many other parts in this saw series too. There's interchange, but it's extremely hard to figure out what will work and what won't (such as what pistons can be paired with what cylinders). I have a buddy who owns boxes of old Homelite service bulletins and such. It's totaly disorganized. We need to go through and organize/catalog it all. I do remember seeing a service bulletin that listed some piston and ring interchange info between saw series in all that mess. I really need to go see him again...

In late summer of '76 I was going to buy a 8 cyl. Monza w/air & 4 spd.. I went shopping for a vet instead. Still have the vet.

All the Vegas and Monzas were biodegradeable.

Did you go shopping for a vet.......or a Vette????? BIG Difference!!!

Be glad you didn't get the Monza.... the first ones were a B!+ch to work on!

Mike

In late summer of '76 I was going to buy a 8 cyl. Monza w/air & 4 spd.. I went shopping for a vet instead. Still have the vet.

All the Vegas and Monzas were biodegradeable.

A professor at a local University brought her Cosworth Vega (76?) to the dealer where I worked. Got to do valve job on. Once was enough.

OK back to chainsaws:msp_tongue:

I just got a new cylinder for my Super XL auto Big Red saw and need to get a new piston and rings. I see an OEM one on the bay for $50:msp_unsure:

Does Bailey have a piston for this model? I did a quick search and saw nothing. I would like to put new in it since it is a new cylinder and saw is darn near mint condition.

This will be my first piston/cylinder replacement on a saw so I would like to do it up right.

Can I do a standard vac test on this saw or is there anything I need to seal off special in the process? I would like to vac test it before tear down and after put back together.

OK back to chainsaws:msp_tongue:

I just got a new cylinder for my Super XL auto Big Red saw and need to get a new piston and rings. I see an OEM one on the bay for $50:msp_unsure:

Does Bailey have a piston for this model? I did a quick search and saw nothing. I would like to put new in it since it is a new cylinder and saw is darn near mint condition.

This will be my first piston/cylinder replacement on a saw so I would like to do it up right.

Can I do a standard vac test on this saw or is there anything I need to seal off special in the process? I would like to vac test it before tear down and after put back together.

I've seen aftermarket pistons on feebay from time to time. IIRC they were in the $30 range. Try mweba. Mitch got a buncha NOS Homelite stuff recently, and some of it was XL-12/SXL related. Vac/pressure tests would be the same as on most any other saw. Remove the carb and block it off there. Block off the exhaust outlet. Run your pressure/vac fitting at one of those two blockoff points or at the spark plug hole. There's no external impulse line for the carb (the impulse passage is in the intake manifold) and no pulse passage or line going to the oil pump (as it's crank driven) on these saws.

Mitch is who I got the cyclinder from:msp_thumbsup: I don't think he had a piston.

I see the aftermarket ones on the ebay and there is also an NOS ones for more coin.

Wondering if anyone has any hard run time on the Aftermarket ones?

Don't want to risk buying one to only possilby ruin a new cylinder:(

1050 info quest

Picked up a non-op 1050 last week and looking for some info in my quest to bring it back up to operational condition. I took the bar and chain off and noted that the drive sprocket was kind of rattle-ish/loose. How much play and wear on the teeth is considered "normal" !??? What is the recommended clutch/drive sprocket removal process......sure don't want to mess anything up on the first 6 cube saw in my saw stable. I've got some pictures of the 1050 and one that shows the wear on the drive sprocket teeth .

Saw pictures...........can anyone tell me what the manufacture date was of this saw by the S/N in the 4th picture?? Was it common or the 1050 to not come with a falling spike or ?? I'd like to get a OEM one for it......source suggestions?

IMG_6410Medium.jpg

IMG_6411Medium.jpg

IMG_6412Medium.jpg

IMG_6416Medium.jpg

Here is the drive sprocket teeth.......does it need to be replaced?? It's kinda rattle-ish/loose so I'm wondering about the condition of the bearing.

IMG_6446Medium.jpg

Also wondering about the blade length...........is it a 32 inch / .063 gauge ??

IMG_6425Medium.jpg

IMG_6428Medium.jpg

IMG_6447Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back