Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that saw is based on the 540 chainsaw. Don't bother converting it to a chainsaw. You're better off selling it if you don't want a demo saw, then buying a chainsaw. I have a friend who has one of those. He calls it his "church key". LMK if you decide to part with it...

208890-homelite-dm-54-jpg

208891d1322448821-homelite-dm-54-jpg

Here's the 540 Chainsaw listing on Acres' site. You can see the resemblance...

Model Profile: 540

My father has a DM54 since new. He has repaired the muffler several times. Welded the handle bars back together and cleaned up a scored piston. That saw always starts and has cut alot of pipe and rebar. I second the above. It is a good tool to keep or put it up here as a parts or runner as the parts are hard to come by.

It is almost embarrassing to follow the 990G and 900G with this but I guess I will. Picked this up today, shows promise to be an actual runner.
What is the scoop on these as I have never owned a Homelite this young.
Never! They are all Homelites - just a few years apart. This is a Homelite thread, and as far as I'm concerned, they all belong here. :msp_wink:

Keep posting!

Chris.

It is almost embarrassing to follow the 990G and 900G with this but I guess I will. Picked this up today, shows promise to be an actual runner.
Photo0126.jpg

The last two I worked on the intake boots and fuel lines were mush. One was mine and the other one belonged to a friend otherwise I would sent them on down the road.

Difference shown between the early cylinder retaining studs and the later units which are fitted with 5/16 studs:

attachment.php

When Homelite was offering 114cc replacement topends that used 5/16" studs for the earlier cases with 1/4" studs, the owner didn't have to swap out studs like you did. The cylinders came with 4 adapter bushings. One of the NOS cylinders I held in my hands earlier this year had a pack of those bushings. (That might be the cylinder Aaron is getting.) I know the 2100/3100 uses 1/4" studs for the cylinder, and nobody in their right mind would ever call those saws weaker than the 900 series.

Chris B.

When Homelite was offering 114cc replacement topends that used 5/16" studs for the earlier cases with 1/4" studs, the owner didn't have to swap out studs like you did. The cylinders came with 4 adapter bushings. One of the NOS cylinders I held in my hands earlier this year had a pack of those bushings. (That might be the cylinder Aaron is getting.) I know the 2100/3100 uses 1/4" studs for the cylinder, and nobody in their right mind would ever call those saws weaker than the 900 series.

Chris B.

I read CM76's post after you'd sent out that jug Chris. Thought about asking you which size holes were in the flange of that cylinder...........but decided against it, as I figured it didn't really matter. I was just happy to be getting an NOS cylinder, and I'd make it work on my saw one way or the other.:D

Chris B.

Thanks for the info Chris. I did not know about the 114cc replacement top ends for these machines. I thought they were all 112cc across the board. The bushings are certainly interesting, as the parts list - even the generic one I have for the saws does not mention them. It does mention the different size studs. I can definitely see why they would have been used as the stud changeout (although alot more sound) is not a five minute fix.

Aaron - have you found a set of rings for your saw as yet ? I am thinking about getting some rings made, as I have a number of these engines which need them.

Regards,

Chris.

super 1050 sprocket

I am having trouble finding a sprocket that will fit my saw. I ordered up a 68727a hoping to convert to a rim sprocket set up, but there is a large bushing the old spur sprocket rode on that will not come off the shaft. The hole in the spur sprocket is about .10 larger than the rim sprocket drum. saw is UT101394. I will try to have pictures tonight. any one familiar with this setup and possibly know what I need to get this to work?

925 options with no spark

What can be done with a SXL 925 with the three piece ignition with no spark, can they be converted to points, what a nice saw.

What can be done with a SXL 925 with the three piece ignition with no spark, can they be converted to points, what a nice saw.

I have the same problem. Everything that I tested outside of the flywheel tests "ok". But I still have no spark. Luckily I have a second one that is not as nice but has good spark so I guess its time to pop the flywheel off and look further. I don't know that I'd take the trouble to do what you suggested nor is it possible. I would try and narrow down what the problem is and see if Mith, chainsaw lady or some other source may have the replacement electrical part you determine to be bad. I realize that is easier said than done and the two non running SXL 925's I have are proof.

Thanks for the info Chris. I did not know about the 114cc replacement top ends for these machines. I thought they were all 112cc across the board. The bushings are certainly interesting, as the parts list - even the generic one I have for the saws does not mention them. It does mention the different size studs. I can definitely see why they would have been used as the stud changeout (although alot more sound) is not a five minute fix.

Aaron - have you found a set of rings for your saw as yet ? I am thinking about getting some rings made, as I have a number of these engines which need them.

Regards,

Chris.

Sorry, meant 112cc. Mixing up the 2100s and 900s.

Chris B.

Regards,

Chris.

I don't have a set of rings yet Chris. Chris B suggested to me that I contact Hastings for the rings. That's what I'll do, as the last OEM set I saw on feebay went for something like $40 plus shipping about a year ago. Otto Engine Works is another possible source. I have a couple leads on OEM rings that were also suggested to me. Haven't gotten in contact with those possible sources yet. At the moment, Hastings looks like the best bet.

I don't have all the other bits for this project gathered up yet, so it's not on the front burner right now. A couple other saws are ahead of it in line. I have the cylinder on the way now from Chris and an NOS piston (no rings though) will be coming to me soon from another friend. I'm going to get the gaskets and crank seals all gathered up before I dig into it. I've found multiple sources for all the gaskets needed, aside from the one that goes between the reed block and the crankcase (56279). Bryce had one listed last year, but the listing ran out (I saved the listing) and he won't return my inquiries asking if he has more to sell. A search for that number only nets a different gasket with this number incorrectly placed in the heading (the correct number for that gasket is in the listing description). I'll get crank seals from my local bearing house.

I don't have a set of rings yet Chris. Chris B suggested to me that I contact Hastings for the rings. That's what I'll do, as the last OEM set I saw on feebay went for something like $40 plus shipping about a year ago. Otto Engine Works is another possible source. I have a couple leads on OEM rings that were also suggested to me. Haven't gotten in contact with those possible sources yet. At the moment, Hastings looks like the best bet.

I don't have all the other bits for this project gathered up yet, so it's not on the front burner right now. A couple other saws are ahead of it in line. I have the cylinder on the way now from Chris and an NOS piston (no rings though) will be coming to me soon from another friend. I'm going to get the gaskets and crank seals all gathered up before I dig into it. I've found multiple sources for all the gaskets needed, aside from the one that goes between the reed block and the crankcase (56279). Bryce had one listed last year, but the listing ran out (I saved the listing) and he won't return my inquiries asking if he has more to sell. A search for that number only nets a different gasket with this number incorrectly placed in the heading (the correct number for that gasket is in the listing description). I'll get crank seals from my local bearing house.

I think one of my conditions for sending you this cylinder is that you get cracking on this project and not make us wait another year.:msp_thumbup:

Chris B.

What size bore are you running?

Eccentric,

What's the bore size and thickness of the rings you're looking for? I may be able to point you in the right direction.

MP5N

Thanks for the info on Hastings for the rings. I will look into them as well. I picked up some NOS reed block gaskets not long ago - but these were not from Bryce. I will dig through my records to see who they came from and pass it on. The new cylinder and piston will make for a fresh saw indeed. I have found the chrome lining on alot of these cylinders starting to become quite thin, and some pitting (fortunately in non critical areas). I will be looking at getting a SD 166 cylinder re lined soon, and think I will send a couple of 900 cylinders along with it.

Regards,

Chris

I think one of my conditions for sending you this cylinder is that you get cracking on this project and not make us wait another year.:msp_thumbup:

Chris B.

Sir yes sir! I'll get it done within the next couple of months. I'll bump a couple saws and move it up near the front of the line. For the record............I've just now had this saw in my posession for about a year.:cheers:

Eccentric,

What's the bore size and thickness of the rings you're looking for? I may be able to point you in the right direction.

MP5N

The bore is 2-5/16". I don't know the ring thickness offhand right now. I don't have the saw torn down yet. Maybe Chris or Chris or Jacob or Lee can answer that better.

Thanks for the info on Hastings for the rings. I will look into them as well. I picked up some NOS reed block gaskets not long ago - but these were not from Bryce. I will dig through my records to see who they came from and pass it on. The new cylinder and piston will make for a fresh saw indeed. I have found the chrome lining on alot of these cylinders starting to become quite thin, and some pitting (fortunately in non critical areas). I will be looking at getting a SD 166 cylinder re lined soon, and think I will send a couple of 900 cylinders along with it.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'd appreciate the help in finding gaskets. I have a few leads left to follow up on. I'm going to save the old cylinder with the thought of a future replate or sleave fitting. You never know what the future brings. This 900D came to me as a total surprise last year. I hope to find a 900-995G 'mate' for my 900D some day......

I swore at one time I'd never like a 410. Just seemed odd somehow. Well, that changed a couple years ago. I picked up the first one fairly cheap and got it running. They are a very well built saw. Similar in many aspects to the 540/8800, but smaller of course. Really the only odd bit is the carburetor mounting and that funky side cover. These do have reeds too ya know :rock:. They feel balanced with a 20" or 24" bar and cut very well. Never tried larger, but I think they came with up to a 31"" or something like that from the factory.

All this is just personal opinion of course, but I say give it a try if it doesn't need much to fix her up.

Dan

I swore at one time I'd never like a 410. Just seemed odd somehow. Well, that changed a couple years ago. I picked up the first one fairly cheap and got it running. They are a very well built saw. Similar in many aspects to the 540/8800, but smaller of course. Really the only odd bit is the carburetor mounting and that funky side cover. These do have reeds too ya know :rock:. They feel balanced with a 20" or 24" bar and cut very well. Never tried larger, but I think they came with up to a 31"" or something like that from the factory.

All this is just personal opinion of course, but I say give it a try if it doesn't need much to fix her up.

Dan

Thanks for the info, I have not had time to tinker with it yet it just gets pushed around on the bench but will try to get at it this weekend. I think it just needs some new fuel lines and maybe a intake boot.

Had a busy day. Had to scoot out of work early to help with the girls. 10 year old cut her thumb early Wednesday evening. Lotsa blood and freaked out kids. 3 year old sister was beside herself. Family went to the ER while I fought traffic to get back (64 miles one way). Six stitches later and everybody is fine again. Spent an evening being the strong, comforting daddy.
Did have one bright moment though. Got to spend a few moments fondling the magnificent NOS Homelite 900D cylinder that was on the porch tonight. Thanks Chris!!!!!!!:cheers:

Pics of the cylinder when I get some time....

Latest posts

Back