Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy with work BS. Going cutting on Saturday. That looks like a Super XP1020A (like JP said). You can just see part of the "Super" above "XP" on what's left of the logo on the tank top behind the fuel cap (to the left of the oil cap). That's the last of the XP1020A's, and basically the same saw as an early 1050A.

The puzzling thing about that saw is that the original idle circuit has been defeated, but I can't see the hole in the airbox for the idle screw. This saw may be a mix of a 1050 and a 1020, and that would explain where the updated carburetor came from.

Edit: Maybe some Super 1020A's came that way. It is possible, I guess. That air idle screw actually works pretty well, but it clogs up the airbox, and makes the saw much more difficult to work on.

247085d1343880197-006-jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Chris. Did you pick up any 8-29s or 3100Gs?

I am still chasing the elusive 8-29 JJ. I have not seen many come up in the time I have been looking for them, and the few I have seen have been well used, and needing full resto.

I have one 3100G, but always open to more!

Regards,

Chris.

compression

I have a couple of Homelite Super XL saws that start easy and run just great. Someone asked me how much compression they have and out of curiosity I checked them. One had about 90 and the other one had about 85. These ran so good it never occurred to me that the compression would be that low. Is this normal? Maybe having reed valves makes it better?

I have a couple of Homelite Super XL saws that start easy and run just great. Someone asked me how much compression they have and out of curiosity I checked them. One had about 90 and the other one had about 85. These ran so good it never occurred to me that the compression would be that low. Is this normal? Maybe having reed valves makes it better?

One of mine has 155 and another has 135.... 85 and 90 seems pretty low. Have you pulled the mufflers?

I am still chasing the elusive 8-29 JJ. I have not seen many come up in the time I have been looking for them, and the few I have seen have been well used, and needing full resto.

I have one 3100G, but always open to more!

Regards,

Chris.

I have a lead on both an 8-29 and another 3100G north of me. Fortunately, it's an older guy who does not use the internet (or cell phones) so these saws are not to be found on ebay or craigslist (or here for that matter.)

I'll let you know what I find out.

I have a lead on both an 8-29 and another 3100G north of me. Fortunately, it's an older guy who does not use the internet (or cell phones) so these saws are not to be found on ebay or craigslist (or here for that matter.)

I'll let you know what I find out.

There are a few in Coos also, that is where the ones I had came from.
No internet connection there either.

One of mine has 155 and another has 135.... 85 and 90 seems pretty low. Have you pulled the mufflers?

I changed the muffler on one of them and looked inside, just looked normal to me, no bad scratches or stuck rings. I'm using an el cheapo compression gauge but I've checked other saws, my Mac 610 was 180 psi. I checked it cold and it hadn't been run in a while. I guess I could mix the fuel a little heavier, might help. I'm now around 32:1.

Homelite 150

That'd be a hell of a road trip.:cheers:

Hey Aaron, I just picked up a red 150 today for $5 as well as a older Super 2. The Super 2 came with a bar, chain, and case for $10. The recoil must have broke on it and somebody put a XL cover on it and that messed up the rewind really bad :bang: Anyways I was wondering if you can give me some info on the Homelite 150? Looks like a really well built saw. Wondering if they had a good reputation. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey Aaron, I just picked up a red 150 today for $5 as well as a older Super 2. The Super 2 came with a bar, chain, and case for $10. The recoil must have broke on it and somebody put a XL cover on it and that messed up the rewind really bad :bang: Anyways I was wondering if you can give me some info on the Homelite 150? Looks like a really well built saw. Wondering if they had a good reputation. Thanks.

I won't lie to you my friend. I have no love for the 150. They do have good power. They're tricky to work on however. Some guys love 'em. Others....

What I like best about those is that they use the same rings, clutch parts, and bars as a Homelite Super E-Z. They were Homelite's first piston port saw, as well as one of the first "engine within a shell" designs.

I won't lie to you my friend. I have no love for the 150. They do have good power. They're tricky to work on however. Some guys love 'em. Others....

What I like best about those is that they use the same rings, clutch parts, and bars as a Homelite Super E-Z. They were Homelite's first piston port saw, as well as one of the first "engine within a shell" designs.

By any chance do they use the same pistons? I am in desperate need of a piston for my Super EZ. And I would sacrifice that 150 in a heartbeat to repair my pride and joy EZ.

I know most people cringe when they see a 150 but I kinda like them. I've liked them ever since they were new, just something about the looks of them. I usually keep one around so that people will stare when I'm cutting some wood and pull the 150 out of the truck. They have a couple of things about them that make them tricky to work on, but to me they're just like a Homelite Super 2...once you've done 500 of them the rest are easy. I'm almost sure I could put a Super 2 together blindfolded but not sure about the 150 yet.

If I had a good running 150 I sure wouldn't pull the piston out of it and put it in an EZ. Pistons are available on ebay occasionally for decent prices, others have them also..just seems like a lot of trouble for a piston. I've owned many 150s and EZs and actually think I like the 150 better. By the way, if memory serves me correctly they cost $335 new.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back