Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron, thanks once again. You are a fountain of knowledge.

Dieselsmoke, I'll measure a bit more carefully tomorrow, could well be 7/16" chain.

Gonna be a lot of silly questions on various flavors of saws soon. My chainsaw budget got funded a bit thanks to o.t., and the WI GTG is in 2 weeks. Gonna get some pieces and parts headed this way to tie up some 1/2 finished projects, and try to get a couple more done as well. I loved playing with the old saws more at the IA GTG this spring than I did the new stuff, so I'm gonna bring as much old iron as I can get running along with me. The ZIP is for sure on that list, because ZIP racing is a popular sport in WI (No one ever considered people who enjoy living here "normal") probably due to the fact that the stopwatches don't need second hands :laugh:

Damn crank seals

Morning Gentlemen.

I've been trying to buy some crank seals for my homelites (923,944,955).

They all appear to have the same seals although the part numbers change with model.

I cant find anyone who still sells them so was wondering if any of you who are wize in all things homelite know the actual seal sizes so I can try and get them from a seal supplier.

I live in England (metric system) and the only imperial measuring tool I have is a ruler, which aint much help on this one as you can imagine.

Thanks in advance
Timmy

Morning Gentlemen.

I've been trying to buy some crank seals for my homelites (923,944,955).

They all appear to have the same seals although the part numbers change with model.

I cant find anyone who still sells them so was wondering if any of you who are wize in all things homelite know the actual seal sizes so I can try and get them from a seal supplier.

I live in England (metric system) and the only imperial measuring tool I have is a ruler, which aint much help on this one as you can imagine.

Thanks in advance
Timmy

The seal may have a part number on it. Here in the US we just take that seal to a local auto parts dealer and they can usually come up with the right part. NAPA is usually our best store to go to for something like this.

Super EZ Piston And Rings

Anyone have a spare Super EZ Automatic piston and rings in working order that they would like to sell to me? Mine is scored really bad but still likes to run but only will at full throttle. I can't seem to find any for it at reasonable prices. Thanks
(I can also trade parts too. I have a few scrap Homelite's laying around)

Last edited:
Not to me it wouldn't be. Seven spline??
(Posted by the fellow who has three Remingtons running 7/16" chain.)

Trade you a 3/8-7-9 spline even up. No idea what it fits.

Carl.

Carl it may well be a six spline rim (once common on large homelites). Could be seven spline though.

I am VERY interested in that 3/8-7 9 spline rim. Where'd you get it? It should be a 3/8"LP rim. I need one for my Poulan XXV 9 spline rim drive drum (it came to me with a 1/4" pitch rim. You can have the 1/4" rim ifya want it..............although I doubt you do.

Last edited:
Carl it may well be a six spline rim (once common on large homelites). Could be seven spline though.

I am VERY interested in that 3/7 9 spline rim. Where'd you get it? It should be a 3/8"LP rim. I need one for my Poulan XXV 9 spline rim drive drum (it came to me with a 1/4" pitch rim. You can have the 1/4" rim ifya want it..............although I doubt you do.

wow, say that really fast 3 times in a row.

I wish I could post some new stuff for the Homelite thread but the Homelite well as been really dry this summer. I do have a couple 360pro parts saws here mayhap I can put one together.

Didn't have much of a Homelite day today. Went cutting, and brought the SXL-925W that I recently squared away. Left it in the truck however, as the cutting I was doing was all well within the capabilities of the yellow 70cc saw I'd brought along. There was one large madrone that I planned on bucking up with the Homelite...........but the guy that felled it hit a nail (dead center in the wood) as he was completing his back cut. Hmmmm.....I spent some time filing that chain into shape last night............maybe I'll leave this log to the other guys....:D

Still was a good day of cutting. Norm put a crusty, whipped old mag case XL2 in my pickup before I packed up though. Said it belongs to a friend at work and asked me to get it running for him. Probably will just take the usual fuel/oil lines, duckbills, and carb rebuild. Compression 'feels' good...

At least a rusty but salvageable 42" Homelite branded Windsor Speed Tip bar in the TXL mount (XL-series Homelite, 750, etc) also found its way into my picup. Rails look great. I think it was put aside (when the prior owner put a 48" Cannon on the 750) and it sat in a basement for 30+ years.

Next weekend I'm going to a fellow AS member's ranch to help him buck up some large downed oaks. The SXL-925W will not stay in the truck this time.:D

I am VERY interested in that 3/8-7 9 spline rim. Where'd you get it? It should be a 3/8"LP rim. I need one for my Poulan XXV 9 spline rim drive drum (it came to me with a 1/4" pitch rim. You can have the 1/4" rim ifya want it..............although I doubt you do.

Picked up two 3/8 x 7 rim sprockets one day down at Jeff's Small engine repair. When I got home I loolked and one was 9 spline. W.T.H.!! :confused:

Same O.D. as a regular 3/8 x 7 but thinner by about 1/16".

It's ben on the peg board since.

I have your address here somewhere.

Carl.

I've been wanting to put these 2 together for awhile--my 700G and this bow I got some time back. Not a Homelite brand bow obviously, but it works. I was fortunate to have a good loop of 1/2" that fit right on.

Chris B.

700Gbow_1.jpg

700Gbow_2.jpg

Good stuff as always Chris. Interesting to see a bow bar in combination with the H&S dogs. This SW77 (I think that's what it is..........there's no mn/sn tag) that I'm working on for a friend has a set of H&S dogs similar to those. A member here just sent me the bar clamp/adjuster assy and some bar plates so the 'custom' wingnut and washers setup can go away now. I see that your 700G has the 'ashtray' (with the 700G logo on it). Rare to see that.

photobucket-37479-1340611735532.jpg

photobucket-32357-1340611745627.jpg

I've been wanting to put these 2 together for awhile--my 700G and this bow I got some time back. Not a Homelite brand bow obviously, but it works. I was fortunate to have a good loop of 1/2" that fit right on.

Chris B.

700Gbow_2.jpg

Nice 700G Chris. The Bow bar looks like it was made for a Homelte.

Good stuff as always Chris. Interesting to see a bow bar in combination with the H&S dogs. This SW77 (I think that's what it is..........there's no mn/sn tag) that I'm working on for a friend has a set of H&S dogs similar to those. A member here just sent me the bar clamp/adjuster assy and some bar plates so the 'custom' wingnut and washers setup can go away now. I see that your 700G has the 'ashtray' (with the 700G logo on it). Rare to see that.

photobucket-37479-1340611735532.jpg

Wow, it never occured to me to use wingnuts for the bar clamp and I see why. That would be scary.

Nice 700G Chris. The Bow bar looks like it was made for a Homelte.

I'm looking at my 700G manual and it shows a Homelite bow guide that is not symmetrical like mine. The slot appears angled to keep the bow and spurs out of the dirt with the saw sitting on the ground, whereas mine has a pronounced lean from the bow. Still it is a Homelite mount, just aftermarket.

Chris B.

Wow, it never occured to me to use wingnuts for the bar clamp and I see why. That would be scary.

Chris B.

They actually used a couple of washers and the original bar nuts under the wingnuts. I think the wingnuts were used as 'locknuts'. I don't know what they were thinking really (or why the OEM clamp/adjuster assy was gone). People do strange things. Just look at the 'custom' paint job on the saw. The P/C looks to be perfect, and it has tons of compression however...

I'm looking at my 700G manual and it shows a Homelite bow guide that is not symmetrical like mine. The slot appears angled to keep the bow and spurs out of the dirt with the saw sitting on the ground, whereas mine has a pronounced lean from the bow. Still it is a Homelite mount, just aftermarket.

Chris B.

You could make some guards for your Bow bar.
A bow bar like this one?

attachment.php

Good stuff as always Chris. Interesting to see a bow bar in combination with the H&S dogs. This SW77 (I think that's what it is..........there's no mn/sn tag) that I'm working on for a friend has a set of H&S dogs similar to those.

Don't give me too much credit--I'm too lazy to remove the spikes, they're a pain to unbolt, and I don't want to lose them.

Something awesome I just found out. I forgot and just rediscovered my 770G has H&S spikes.:rock:

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back