Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a couple of saws, mainly because a friend of mine didn't want them. A Super 2 later version with adjustable oiler, and a Craftsman that they couldn't fix at the local shop. Should provide a few days of wasted time.

Cool. you should have that Super 2 done in no time. Right now I am working on a Olympic 254 that is locked up. Then I have a friend that asked me if I had a extra clutch cover for a Husky 268. Might offer him 20 bucks for it? Think thats a good deal? I know it doesn't run.

Got a 200 a couple weeks ago. The De---Luxxx of little red Homies. Anti vibe, chain brake, muffler guard :msp_ohmy: and high speed idle latch.

Fresh fuel after dumping the old crap, sharpened chain and a few pulls and we have another runner for the pile.

Super XL rebuild questions

So I am rebuilding my blue super XL and I have some questions.

What should the squish be? Has anyone ran without the cylinder gasket? Im asking because my new cylinder gasket measured at .030" which seemed a bit much. I could cut it in half and use it for the intake side and then use motoseal to seal the cylinder.

Mine has the auto oiler only (manual was disabled at factory). Do I need the copper tubing from the tank to the dysfunctional plunger? Doesn't seem to have a purpose.

I am converting from points to electronic using a mega-fire ignition. Where do you mount the module? The big magnesium piece that housed the points and capacitor doesn't have room for the module.

It has the original spur sprocket. I wanted to change to a rim drive. I got the right Oregon rim & drum (30666x) I think but it would not work. There is a small bushing that goes between the crankshaft and the clutch bearing. On mine it's too small in diameter to match the inner diameter of the bearing and drum. My previous sxl had a larger bushing and this rim kit worked great. Is this a spur sprocket only bushing?

That's all for now!

Cool. you should have that Super 2 done in no time. Right now I am working on a Olympic 254 that is locked up. Then I have a friend that asked me if I had a extra clutch cover for a Husky 268. Might offer him 20 bucks for it? Think thats a good deal? I know it doesn't run.

Actually the Super 2 already runs, just seems to run out of gas when you run it for a few seconds. Probably needs a little fuel system attention. I'll work on that tomorrow if wife doesn't have other plans.
As far as working on a saw that is locked up. I used to have an old Poulan 25 that was locked up so I filled the entire engine up with fuel mix and let it sit for a few days. It was stiff at first but finally got it so it would run. The Husky would be a buy at $20 for sure.

I heard something rattle in the oil tank. I pray its the duckbill. That porus sintered bronze 'filter' looking thing was connected to the oil line that hooks up to the bar mount. Someone must have worked on it before me. This is all very confusing. Seems like a lot of stuff just for a automatic oiler. I wish everything was still manual oiled.

Actually, these are about as simple as it can get, you just need to understand how it works. It uses crankcase pressure to push oil out of the oil tank and onto the bar. Because crankcase pressure isn't constant but a series of puffs and vacuum the duckbill is used to eliminate the vacuum half. It pressurizes the tank and pushes oil out the pickup.

That one looks identical to mine, but mine has a black gas cap in the same shape as yours. I can get another one that runs right now for $15 complete with bar and chain. Not sure if it will idle right because the guy just fired it up real quick then shut it off. I find them a lot at scrap yards around here for a few bucks each. I already have two tho. I told the guy that if he can show me that they piston and cylinder looks good, and that it will idle, then ill take it. Did not seem too anxious to show me :laugh:

It might not be what you think. Sometimes people are reluctant to take mufflers off old chainsaws because they're afraid they might break a bolt off in the engine and have a lot of work to do to fix it. I don't really like removing mufflers because sometimes when you loosen the bolts they won't stay tight any more and need retightening often.

It might not be what you think. Sometimes people are reluctant to take mufflers off old chainsaws because they're afraid they might break a bolt off in the engine and have a lot of work to do to fix it. I don't really like removing mufflers because sometimes when you loosen the bolts they won't stay tight any more and need retightening often.

Actually I traded that guy a Super 2 with a broken recoil, and a XL missing a few parts for that other 150 today. Did not expect it to run right but I took it home, gassed up, and she took off and idled fine. Needs just a small adjustment on the low speed jet since when you give it gas, it hesitates for a second. Glad I did that trade. Now I have two 150s that run great. (I did keep that other Super 2 of mine...gonna still try to get her oiling right. Just need the right parts) View attachment 248690

Actually I traded that guy a Super 2 with a broken recoil, and a XL missing a few parts for that other 150 today. Did not expect it to run right but I took it home, gassed up, and she took off and idled fine. Needs just a small adjustment on the low speed jet since when you give it gas, it hesitates for a second. Glad I did that trade. Now I have two 150s that run great. (I did keep that other Super 2 of mine...gonna still try to get her oiling right. Just need the right parts) View attachment 248690

I worked on my newest Super 2 today, bought it yesterday, it's one of the ones with the adjustable oiler which didn't work so I bypassed it but left it stock appearing. It finally runs after taking the saw completely apart, cleaning it, cleaning the carb, putting new fuel lines in, new gas cap replacing the primer bulb cap. Got my Craftsman saw also running better but think I may have to clean the carb on it sometime in the near future, I changed the module today. It's been a long day.

I worked on my newest Super 2 today, bought it yesterday, it's one of the ones with the adjustable oiler which didn't work so I bypassed it but left it stock appearing. It finally runs after taking the saw completely apart, cleaning it, cleaning the carb, putting new fuel lines in, new gas cap replacing the primer bulb cap. Got my Craftsman saw also running better but think I may have to clean the carb on it sometime in the near future, I changed the module today. It's been a long day.

No way same here. Thanks to your help, I got my Super 2 running great. I replaced all gas and oil lines, tore down the carb and cleaned it, and cleaned her all up. Runs great now. Just after about 15 seconds of idling, it has some problems staying idling tho. I messed with the idle jet but still the same thing. I don't wanna do anything with the low and high speed jets till I get a bar and chain. And as a added bonus, when I shut her off, I looked down by where the bar mounts...dripping oil down the side...Bingo!

No way same here. Thanks to your help, I got my Super 2 running great. I replaced all gas and oil lines, tore down the carb and cleaned it, and cleaned her all up. Runs great now. Just after about 15 seconds of idling, it has some problems staying idling tho. I messed with the idle jet but still the same thing. I don't wanna do anything with the low and high speed jets till I get a bar and chain. And as a added bonus, when I shut her off, I looked down by where the bar mounts...dripping oil down the side...Bingo!

My Super 2 is running good now, oiling a little. I sharpened the chain which is almost new as is the bar. I'll try it out a little tomorrow. I'll feel better when I can see a little more oil on the chain however. This thing starts fantastic, usually 1 pull.

My Super 2 is running good now, oiling a little. I sharpened the chain which is almost new as is the bar. I'll try it out a little tomorrow. I'll feel better when I can see a little more oil on the chain however. This thing starts fantastic, usually 1 pull.

Forgot to mention that the duckbill and little connector it sets on was at the bottom of that oil tank. Mine is like 5 pulls cold start. Then its 1 or 2 warm. Not like there that hard to pull over in the first place :laugh:

bought a 150 yestiddy for $7. been watching it and decided to get it when the guy dropped the price. first saw it it was $25. i know lots of yall hate these but also know some of yas like 'em. just decided to check em out.
the starter was hung up. already fixed that. needs some serious cleaning. don't know if i have spark yet. will check it out this weekend hopefully.
needs a fuel cap and looks like a grommet may be missing at the carb adjustment hole on top (i think thats what the hole is for). anyone got some of these?

bought a 150 yestiddy for $7. been watching it and decided to get it when the guy dropped the price. first saw it it was $25. i know lots of yall hate these but also know some of yas like 'em. just decided to check em out.
the starter was hung up. already fixed that. needs some serious cleaning. don't know if i have spark yet. will check it out this weekend hopefully.
needs a fuel cap and looks like a grommet may be missing at the carb adjustment hole on top (i think thats what the hole is for). anyone got some of these?

Thats funny too because in the last 2 weeks, I have bought three 150s haha.Two of them run good too. Traded the guy a non running Super 2 and a XL for it. Used it today to limb a tree that fell today. Only problem with it is that when it gets warm, it doesn't like to idle very strong. I messed with the jet and it is all the way in too. Think I might take it out and wrap some electrical tape around it so that throttle will open more when idling. Rings must be getting worn out.
The other 150 I fixed. Cleaned the carb and put in a new gas line. Runs great. Then the other one is in pieces because I need a certain plastic hose connector on the carb that broke. Anyways besides the funny looks, these saws tend to have good power and torque. I sure would only use them for limbing or small firewood. Check in scrap yards. You should beable to find lots of saws there like that. Just make sure you get em before they go in the crusher!

Last edited:

Those take a standard fuel cap like a Super XL would take. As for the grommet, I don't remember seeing one on top where the screws are, they just stick up through the holes on mine. I think they have springs on them to keep them in adjustment. Get your 150 running and you can consider that a major victory. Once you whip the frustration of these you can move up to the dreaded Mini Mac!

Those take a standard fuel cap like a Super XL would take. As for the grommet, I don't remember seeing one on top where the screws are, they just stick up through the holes on mine. I think they have springs on them to keep them in adjustment. Get your 150 running and you can consider that a major victory. Once you whip the frustration of these you can move up to the dreaded Mini Mac!

More like "move sideways"......:dizzy:

More like "move sideways"......:dizzy:

I know a lot of people who claim that they will work on any chainsaw but a Mini Mac. I have personally never seen one, but if I come across one i'd like to try and tackle it....if this sounds too crazy, someone try and stop me now!!! Na i'm always up for a challenge. Not too familiar with McCulloch's but I do have a Mac 2858 (or something along there) brush cutter and a old McCulloch generator with a 3 horse Briggs on it.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people who claim that they will work on any chainsaw but a Mini Mac. I have personally never seen one, but if I come across one i'd like to try and tackle it....if this sounds too crazy, someone try and stop me now!!! Na i'm always up for a challenge. Not too familiar with McCulloch's but I do have a Mac 2858 (or something along there) brush cutter and a old McCulloch generator with a 3 horse Briggs on it.

If you're serious about the Mini Mac there are lots of 'em out there. Problem is with them is they're made a little different in that you have to take the whole saw apart to fix almost anything and if you mess up even a little you have to do it all over again. My neighbor has one he would probably give me but the last time he offered I said "no thanks." I would have taken a 150 or a Super 2 but the Mini Mac taxes my patience just a bit too much. If it were me I'd look for a Poulan top handle or a 10-10 Mac to spend some time with.

Wife and I were at the flea market today and she spotted a Mini Mac and pointed it out to me. She said, "what do you want to do?" I said Run! and she did!

Last edited:
Anyway to turn up the oiler on my Homelite Super XL AO? Just picked it up the other day, the guy had a 22'' bar on it and it seems like it needs more oil when I start getting into a cut.

I'm thinking I'm going to drop the bar size down to a 20''. Seems like the 22" might be on the upper end of what the saw can handle.

Anyone know when 550's switched from red to black starter and clutch covers? ...or did somebody just repaint the black ones?
47b6a13b-300f-ada5.jpg
47b6a13b-3024-9cf1.jpg

Back