Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good info as usual Dan. The XL800/900 based demo/concrete/cutoff saws were the XL88 and XL98 series. Later XL98's having "A", "B", "C", or "D" as model suffix's. There was the XL12 based DM20 as well as the 410 based DM40, 450 based DM50, and 540 based DM54.

Usually if these machines were used much for cutting concrete they're CLAPPED OUT. Even if the P/C survived a dusting from poor AF maintenance, the bearings and seals are often whipped. Saws used for cutting cable, rebar, rails, and car bodies/frames are often in better shape. I think that's due to the lack of concrete dust, and the more intermittant use cycles for cutting those materials (which is more like 'regular' chainsaw use) rather than the LONG WOT grind when making a long concrete cut (especially if the saw was used on a cart).
Thanks for your imput and knowledge about the Homelite demo saws. I've uploaded some pictures and I think the info shared by you and others has lead me to believe the saw I'm looking at is a DM-50.

It doesn't look like it's too clapped out / used hard and put away wet. What are your thoughts by looking at these pictures!???

1a7715c6.jpg

82af1913.jpg

1e416fdf.jpg

0e8034ab.jpg

fb9f312d.jpg

79614507.jpg

I got that Homelite 2000 from Procarbine, and fixed it all up. Thanks man for the nice saw. It needed a new clutch, and I changed the 1/2" sprocket out for a 404. I fixed the crack in the starter with some JB weld, and it seems to work well. I added a west coast spike, and a full wrap handlebar. Mounted a nice 36" roller nose bar and chain. Made a quick vid. Enjoy!!!

013-2.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-3.jpg

[video=youtube;AhTx7ZJxMo4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhTx7ZJxMo4&feature=plcp[/video]

Lookin and soundin good JP.
Great saw. Bring it to the next gtg.

Lee

If you are really good you can replace the line without opening the tank. Run a thin wire through the hole and then feed the new line over the wire. The wire will guide the new line right to the fitting. You can then push it on with a medical clamp, or your fingers if they are small.

Bryce sells tank gaskets on Ebay if you open up the tank.

If you use the proper screwdriver, the tank screws usually come off pretty well.

OK. I've removed the gas tank, to get to the outside fitting. What size is the fuel line?

No Decals, etc big Homelite?

hemiyota;

Nice score on your big saw the 36" bar. That looks like a minor evolution from my old XP1000. I would guess a 1020 or a XP1020, based upon the north carolina tag and opposed to Port Chester NY tag mine had. The paint is very similar, that is the air cleaner cover is the same as the base color, rather than the black the 1050's got as well as the newer incarnations of the same basic saw (100cc's) that came later.

John

I can fix you up with a good AF cover.

I have misc. XL-101 type leftovers from building four.

Thank you but I have a few floating around here waiting for me to get to them. This one will be offered up to a fellow who handed me a xl-12 that he managed to break the connecting rod while at full throttle, what a mess.

i'm finishing the assembly on my C5 rebuild tonight. final step, putting the starter on.
dam, only have 2 of the 3 hex head 12-24x3/4 machine screws.
from past experience i know that neither the bolt and screw shop nor the big box stores carry this original style.
anyone got one?

hemiyota;

Nice score on your big saw the 36" bar. That looks like a minor evolution from my old XP1000. I would guess a 1020 or a XP1020, based upon the north carolina tag and opposed to Port Chester NY tag mine had. The paint is very similar, that is the air cleaner cover is the same as the base color, rather than the black the 1050's got as well as the newer incarnations of the same basic saw (100cc's) that came later.

John

That's a C-72. A 100cc XP series Homelite built at the time when those black/silver UTN/SN decals were being used (instead of the alluminum MN/SN tag on the FW cover) would have been a 1050 (which has the auto oiler pump). That saw has the manual oiler style clutch cover as used on the C-series and manual-only XP-series saws. The AO equipped XP series saws have an outboard clutch and a different clutch cover. The C-72 was the only manual oiler-only C/XP series saw being built at the time of those black UTN/SN decals.

The fittings are the same size on the outside and inside. Can't remember what line fits best.

Here is the gasket:

HOMELITE CHAINSAW 1050 200 2100 C-51 C-71 TANK GASKET | eBay

The outer barb takes 3/16" ID line. I use automotive line, as its larger OD seals well against the hole in the carb box. The inner barb is also 3/16" on most of these fittings. Some take 1/8" ID line instead however. My 1050A fitting is that style. Obviously you'd want to use more flexible line (Tygon, Oregon, etc) on the inside of the tank (either 1/8" or 3/16" ID depending on the barb size). On that 1050A, I was actually able to easily unscrew the fitting from the tank. That was a first for me. They're usually LOCKED in there in my experience.

Last edited:
i'm finishing the assembly on my C5 rebuild tonight. final step, putting the starter on.
from past experience i know that neither the bolt and screw shop nor the big box stores carry this original style.
anyone got one?

Gotcha covered buddy.

PM me your address (I seem to have misplaced my "AS trading partners" address book) and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

anyone got one?

It appears you're covered, but for future reference McMaster-Carr has 12-24 Hex head bolts. Search under Machine Screw rather than Bolt.

The fittings are the same size on the outside and inside. Can't remember what line fits best.

Here is the gasket:

HOMELITE CHAINSAW 1050 200 2100 C-51 C-71 TANK GASKET | eBay

Oh, THAT guy! I'm on his "blocked bidder" list:hmm3grin2orange: Seems he got his panties all in a bunch, after I tried to tell him that the piston rings, he was selling, would NOT fit a Poulan 306A AND the 245A, both. They are totally different bore sizes. He would hear none of that, though, because Poulan said that they were the same. I told him that HE, not Poulan, was responsible for what he said in his listing. So, if someone bought the rings, and they weren't right, it was his fault. Like they say....No good deed goes unpunished...

Back