Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears you're covered, but for future reference McMaster-Carr has 12-24 Hex head bolts. Search under Machine Screw rather than Bolt.

Yes, they have a lot of options that will work, but I think Jerry wants original, which is a "Hex Washer Head Slotted Machine Screw" and not available, at least from MM-C in 12-24 thread.

Right then, carry on...

Tim - Who just replaced some mangled Mac screws with button head allens and likes the look, but will not be able to open that cover in the field...

i'm finishing the assembly on my C5 rebuild tonight. final step, putting the starter on.
dam, only have 2 of the 3 hex head 12-24x3/4 machine screws.
from past experience i know that neither the bolt and screw shop nor the big box stores carry this original style.
anyone got one?

Recoil housing take four of those.:popcorn:

My local Ace hardware has #12-24 in slotted, round head at various lenghts. I stocked up on 1, 1 1/2 and 2 inch lengths and cut them off as required.

I scrap out every junker I can and save all the 12-24s. Roached XL-12 and Remy PL-4 are a great source.

Recoil housing take four of those.:popcorn:

My local Ace hardware has #12-24 in slotted, round head at various lenghts. I stocked up on 1, 1 1/2 and 2 inch lengths and cut them off as required.

I scrap out every junker I can and save all the 12-24s. Roached XL-12 and Remy PL-4 are a great source.

Doh, was just digging in my box-o-Homey bolts, never looked at the recoil itself. I've got another bolt and will put it in the envelope to give that one some company on the way to Arky-saw.

Toolslinger, I'm considering doing a Allen head changeover on a couple older saws. I dislike slotted head screws a lot. I carry one of those folding Allen sets in my tool bag for the newer saws anyway.

I'll have to look at my XL-12 when I get home so I know what I'm looking for... I found a couple different places listing "Hex Washer Head Slotted Machine Screw" in 12-24, though not as many as I thought there would be... Fastenal lists them by the piece, and a couple more obscure places have them by the 100...

Ok... So I'm a hardware geek... It bothers me when I don't have a source for something specific...

I'm no purist though as noted... I use what I think is the best choice rather than sticking to OEM... In my case, if a saw craps out, and I have to call it a day because I can't fix it right then, it usually doesn't matter... 'Course I try to have a backup saw to take care of that, but it doesn't always work out...

The only reason I keep slotted head screws is a situation where they're going to get painted over... It is far easier to clean out a slot than any of the other drive options... The instant they get a burr, or nick, they get replaced, and I keep the slotted screwdrivers square and sharp to avoid stripping...

Oh, THAT guy! I'm on his "blocked bidder" list:hmm3grin2orange: Seems he got his panties all in a bunch, after I tried to tell him that the piston rings, he was selling, would NOT fit a Poulan 306A AND the 245A, both. They are totally different bore sizes. He would hear none of that, though, because Poulan said that they were the same. I told him that HE, not Poulan, was responsible for what he said in his listing. So, if someone bought the rings, and they weren't right, it was his fault. Like they say....No good deed goes unpunished...

Yep, I think I inquired the same thing, even mentioned what the bore size was. All he said was he'd check into it.

Oh, THAT guy! I'm on his "blocked bidder" list:hmm3grin2orange: Seems he got his panties all in a bunch, after I tried to tell him that the piston rings, he was selling, would NOT fit a Poulan 306A AND the 245A, both. They are totally different bore sizes. He would hear none of that, though, because Poulan said that they were the same. I told him that HE, not Poulan, was responsible for what he said in his listing. So, if someone bought the rings, and they weren't right, it was his fault. Like they say....No good deed goes unpunished...

Well sorry to hear. Anyways, I have bought a lot of stuff from Bryce and never had a problem. I have used at least 3 of those tank gaskets.

I snagged this old hunk the other day, the guy said it was a 2000, but im thinking thats not the case. The good thing is it runs and oils. it is missing the bar tensioner assembly so i cant cut with it yet. If any one knows what it is that would be great. the more I look at it the more I think its about 4 different saws put together.

thanks

View attachment 250669View attachment 250670View attachment 250671View attachment 250672View attachment 250673

fee free to fix my pictures

It is definitely not a 2000, as the plug is on the other side of the cylinder. It is most likely a 1000 or 1020. It has the rare auto oiler clutch cover, which adds quite a bit of value. The horrible repaint job takes value away, however.

250669d1346354504-08-30-2012-005-jpg

250670-08-30-2012-006-jpg

250671-08-30-2012-008-jpg

250672-08-30-2012-009-jpg

250673-08-30-2012-007-jpg

Darn, that looks like a canidate for one of the famous Driver's repaint jobs. But, he has a XL-925 on the way from Ar-----Kan----Saw.

Thanks for posting my pictures, I actually was thinking about having mastermind doing a power coat restoration, but at that point it still was a homelite 2000. I am going to get it cutting and learn a little more about it before I think about restoration again.

Well sorry to hear. Anyways, I have bought a lot of stuff from Bryce and never had a problem. I have used at least 3 of those tank gaskets.

I didn't actually buy anything from him. I saw the listing while trolling ebay for Poulan parts.
I found a guy, locally, who has the gaskets anyway. Didn't end up taking the tank apart, I just removed the fitting........if you can't raise the bridge, lower the river..:msp_biggrin:

Thanks for posting my pictures, I actually was thinking about having mastermind doing a power coat restoration, but at that point it still was a homelite 2000. I am going to get it cutting and learn a little more about it before I think about restoration again.

Just take care of that auto oiler clutch cover. That thing is probably worth more than the rest of the saw.

Back