Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was able to make saw dust. Actually it was like long strips of wood. I could have slept on it after the work was done. And here's the run down.

The Super XL ran very well. I had taken file to the chain and thought that would work. But believe I should have the chain professionally sharpened. It would ride on the wood and suddenly bite and pull through it very quickly. Yes the chain is the correct direction. It also felt and sounded like the chain was slipping on the new drive gear. Could it be slipping of the clutch? In the end when it bit it went through the wood(Ash 6 mo dry) very very quickly.

The Super 2 ran like it always has. Awesome. I put a new Oregon bar and chain on it. Wow for a little saw it really chews through the wood.

Is it normal for these older Homelites to start so well? All the time? Never ending?

Pretty much, as long as it has the basic ingredients, spark, compression, fuel and timing it should run. I guess eventually the seals may wear out but it seems to take a long time.

Just got this hoss!

Came in a package of 5 saws, for $120. There was the 990, a very nice Wards (Remington Pl-5), a Poulan 245A, a David Bradley 360, and a Stihl 028. All saws will run. I plan on selling the 028, and hopefully all the others will be FREE!!
The 990 started, with a squirt of mix, and after keeping it running, with the mix, for a few seconds, it went on and ran by itself. It has a 26" bar.
I will need the oiler button assembly and the recoil cover....Anyone have those??

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Came in a package of 5 saws, for $120. There was the 990, a very nice Wards (Remington Pl-5), a Poulan 245A, a David Bradley 360, and a Stihl 028. All saws will run. I plan on selling the 028, and hopefully all the others will be FREE!!
The 990 started, with a squirt of mix, and after keeping it running, with the mix, for a few seconds, it went on and ran by itself. It has a 26" bar.
I will need the oiler button assembly and the recoil cover....Anyone have those??

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice. You and WatsonR come up with 990's at almost the same time. What is going on south of the Mason Dixon??

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That part is IMPOSSIBLE to find... however I do have one that I'd be willing to share... send the saw to my house, I'll take good care of it and return your $120 dollars without questions! Forget about that starter cover, we all need them.

Very nice find! Glad your said sell the Stihl... I get a free Homelite... rep headed your way.

That's one hell of a score. You bigtime suck. I agree.....sell the stihl and keep the good stuff. I of course especially dig the 990G and 245A. Seen an NOS oiler shaft and levers on feebay recently. The dog dish covers are HARD to find. I need to find a G brother for my 900D....

I figured out the clip, the piston has a place to reach in and remove the clip on the other side of the piston than the one i was working on, i left the coil and bracket on and could not see. If there is one thing i should of have learned by now is to take your time and look everything over. I got the clip out on the wrong side but now i know. Now how do i figure out if and how to hone the cylinder, is it hard to find a 2 inch hone?

I figured out the clip, the piston has a place to reach in and remove the clip on the other side of the piston than the one i was working on, i left the coil and bracket on and could not see. If there is one thing i should of have learned by now is to take your time and look everything over. I got the clip out on the wrong side but now i know. Now how do i figure out if and how to hone the cylinder, is it hard to find a 2 inch hone?

You aren't supposed to hone chainsaw cylinders. Some old Macs have plain cylinders but most are chromed and honing them is a no-no. I have taken a little bit of fine sandpaper and went around the cylinder to remove the glaze but that's not to be overdone either. If you have a really rough cylinder you might consider replacing it.

You aren't supposed to hone chainsaw cylinders. Some old Macs have plain cylinders but most are chromed and honing them is a no-no. I have taken a little bit of fine sandpaper and went around the cylinder to remove the glaze but that's not to be overdone either. If you have a really rough cylinder you might consider replacing it.

I have a 922 p\c on the way but with the 925 so very hard to find the p\c i thought i would try to save the old one if possible. In my goose chase looking for these parts i have found someone that is getting pistons made for the 925 and with speaking with him it was said they clean up cylinders by honeing them i thought he said becuase they are chromed they can be saved. I just want spare parts for the three 925es i now have.

I have a 922 p\c on the way but with the 925 so very hard to find the p\c i thought i would try to save the old one if possible. In my goose chase looking for these parts i have found someone that is getting pistons made for the 925 and with speaking with him it was said they clean up cylinders by honeing them i thought he said becuase they are chromed they can be saved. I just want spare parts for the three 925es i now have.

Okay, but when you hone them you remove some of that chrome. Maybe he has an outfit that re-chromes them after they are honed.

Nice saw dude. I am pretty sure that the dog is upside down though. :msp_wink:

LOL....I did not put it on but I will have a closer look at it.

Well its on the saw right but I turned it over so you could see.

Looking good now...........not..:biggrin:

254332d1348641151-spike-1-jpg

254333d1348641259-spike-2-jpg

Its just the way it bolts on that makes it look funny.
254334d1348641351-spike-3-jpg

Last edited:
Homelite Super XL Rebuild

Was wondering how hard it is to rebuild one of these. Never tore one all the way down before. (Just simple parts for maintenance) I need to replace the crank seals. This one is fairly new so I imagine it has the electronic system. Any idea what year? It has the plastic decals on it (mostly tore all the way off :laugh:) They just say "Homelite Super XL". It has the auto oiler with manual override.
I have rebuilt a few Homelite's in the past...including the dreaded boot replacement on the 330. I ended up tearing that all down and replacing the crank seals in it. It was not bad except for all the parts!

Back