Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here i go again with the newbie type question (someone's gotta ask).
saw a red super xl with 18" b&c (could be 20") in a pawn shop today. looks used but not worn out. lightly pulled on the starter to check compression and it feels good. haven't started it but would before i bought it. af looks good. can't see any cracks or dings.
i already know what i think but was wondering if $40 is a good price? kinda surprised me with it being mixed in with the newer poulans and couplea older stihls that were all more expensive.

Naturally. I'd try to work them down a bit. If it's the Automatic and there were no cracks/breaks/exclusions, I'd probably bite. I had one here recently and it was easy to work on. Ran great after a carb cleaning!

I picked up a Homelite 54 or Solo today for $20.00. Haven't had a chance to really look at it yet. Partly dissembled has what looks like a 20" b&c. I have a 47 and it runs quite nicely so I'm hopeful. If I'm unlucky I'll part it out

Pics to follow or it didn't happen:biggrinbounce2:

Lee

Had a quick look at piston Oh Oh, saw looks like it's been run without af. may have to part this one out. Anyone need parts for a Solo 654?

I'm learning about good saws (rebuildable) VS non-rebuildable do to lack of parts...Are the parts not available to rebuild the 654? I see with your saw collection there must be a reason not to rebuild...

I'm sure there is a thread on the topic and have not found it yet...thanks.

saw a red super xl with 18" b&c (could be 20") in a pawn shop today. looks used but not worn out. lightly pulled on the starter to check compression and it feels good. haven't started it but would before i bought it. af looks good. can't see any cracks or dings.
i already know what i think but was wondering if $40 is a good price? kinda surprised me with it being mixed in with the newer poulans and couplea older stihls that were all more expensive.

If it was in K.C. or St. Joe, you would have to beat me to it........................................................................................

Pawn shops around here would be asking 80-100.

Make sure you start it first if you can. Only really expensive parts on those are the P/C, and the coil if they're an electronic ignition saw. The 'blue coil' ignitions are known to take a dump. NOS and new aftermarket coils are around..........and go for around $50-$60. Ouch...

:msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

If its going to the collection, even flipping it you should be OK if its all there.

I agree. They've been going for bigger money (often well over $100 for 'average' examples) lately. Hell I might put one of mine on the bay for a bit of cash. Just did that with a Poulan 3400. Gotta trim back on the 'multiples' a bit.:D

Naturally. I'd try to work them down a bit. If it's the Automatic and there were no cracks/breaks/exclusions, I'd probably bite. I had one here recently and it was easy to work on. Ran great after a carb cleaning!

You did pretty well on the ebay flip too IIRC.:clap:

I'm learning about good saws (rebuildable) VS non-rebuildable do to lack of parts...Are the parts not available to rebuild the 654? I see with your saw collection there must be a reason not to rebuild...

I'm sure there is a thread on the topic and have not found it yet...thanks.

I guess I'm a dumpster diver, I like to get good saws for real cheap. Ones that just need carb rebuilt etc.
I don't think I'd spend $150.00 on a p&c just to sell it for $80.00.
I don't use my saws too much just the odd tree to drop and a bit of firewood.
Thanks for the thought though. I'll search for a Solo rebuild thread.

Regards,

Lee

I plucked this good Homie from a local auction for 34.00. The auctioneers assistant tried to start it with no choke or throttle lock. Before the next item was sold, i had this saw fired up enough to get a lot of dirty looks from a few others that let'r go so cheap. Score! :msp_w00t:

900evl005.jpg

900evl006-1.jpg

Suggestions on Super Wiz 66.

When cutting downwards and the power head and bar are almost vertical it seems like it is starving for fuel and dies. If you fall a tree and go into it sideways it does the same thing. Grabbed an RK-88HL kit and rebuilt the carb. Checked fuel line and gas filter. Ran the entire today with no problems until I get into either position with the saw.

Any clues what I could be missing here?

When cutting downwards and the power head and bar are almost vertical it seems like it is starving for fuel and dies. If you fall a tree and go into it sideways it does the same thing. Grabbed an RK-88HL kit and rebuilt the carb. Checked fuel line and gas filter. Ran the entire today with no problems until I get into either position with the saw.

Might want to check and see how the fuel line is floppin' around in the tank.

You may be experiencing problems due to the fuel line having restricted movement, coupled with the fuel level being below a certain level.

If I remember correctly the fuel line originates in the bottom of the tank and flopps around with weighted filter. Check your fuel line to make sure it is not stiff, it is easy to get to and remove, also make sure the weighted filter is attached to the fuel line, this will keep it at the lowest part of the tank. Old saws are fun to work on and great to play with but I feel sorry for the old timers that had to cut enough wood to heat their house with them.

Might want to check and see how the fuel line is floppin' around in the tank.

You may be experiencing problems due to the fuel line having restricted movement, coupled with the fuel level being below a certain level.

If I remember correctly the fuel line originates in the bottom of the tank and flopps around with weighted filter. Check your fuel line to make sure it is not stiff, it is easy to get to and remove, also make sure the weighted filter is attached to the fuel line, this will keep it at the lowest part of the tank. Old saws are fun to work on and great to play with but I feel sorry for the old timers that had to cut enough wood to heat their house with them.

Thank you gentlemen. I did replace the fuel line from the tank to the carb. First thing I checked was fuel level and even after just putting two new filters in my C51s The thought of the filter being wedged or disconnected didnt come to mind. Forgot to check the simplest things, thank you!

As far as the men that had to run these things to heat their homes, they knew work! I ran both C51s and the SW66 all day today and my arms feel like jello. They sound great and are fun to run but they will kick your &$#.

As always, thanks for the great help!

Got this saw as a freebie, just hoping someone could give me some info on it. First off, looking for what model it is :dizzy: Tried a search for "Textron" but I guess that's not the model since I got some pictures coming up that didn't really look like it. Can you help a newbie out?

img3708h.jpg

img3709ng.jpg

Thanks!

Looks like a 360 and they are known for carb boots cracking. Good strong running saw though.

Simple thing, filter and line had come off the nipple in the tank. Back up and running in all directions, thanks guys!!

Got this saw as a freebie, just hoping someone could give me some info on it. First off, looking for what model it is :dizzy: Tried a search for "Textron" but I guess that's not the model since I got some pictures coming up that didn't really look like it. Can you help a newbie out?

That's a nice saw. Haven't been able to find one here yet. The 35SL had lots of changes compared with the 350/360. The ignition was changed to a one-piece module (think it was the same as on the 330) from the 360's 2 piece. Also, the air filter setup was changed. The chain-brake was used on some 350/360s, but think it was on all the 35SLs (That's what the SL designator meant on several of the pro series models.) Can't beat one for free! :rock:

Dan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back