Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need your help Ladies and Gents. Was out running the C-51 today and poof, no spark. The plug wire was in bad shape when I got her but I put a new tip on it and she ran.
After tracking the wire back until I found fire about two inches off the coil. A gentle pull and this is what was left. I am getting fire from whats there but seems weak IMO.

Can I splice another wire into what I have or should I bee looking for another coil set up? The only ones Ive seen for sale have had the plug wire cut off them so I will be splicing something in anyway if its possible. Really need some help on this one as I HATE to loose this saw.
c51ignition008.jpg

Need your help Ladies and Gents. Was out running the C-51 today and poof, no spark. The plug wire was in bad shape when I got her but I put a new tip on it and she ran.
After tracking the wire back until I found fire about two inches off the coil. A gentle pull and this is what was left. I am getting fire from whats there but seems weak IMO.

Can I splice another wire into what I have or should I bee looking for another coil set up? The only ones Ive seen for sale have had the plug wire cut off them so I will be splicing something in anyway if its possible. Really need some help on this one as I HATE to loose this saw.
c51ignition008.jpg

just remove that wire, get another one approximately same size from napa, screw the new wire into the coil, reinstall boot and clip, voila, you're back cutting. no biggie, easy peasy. just be sure the new wire is screwed in tight.

just remove that wire, get another one approximately same size from napa, screw the new wire into the coil, reinstall boot and clip, voila, you're back cutting. no biggie, easy peasy. just be sure the new wire is screwed in tight.

Yup, just make sure to take a piece with you to get the same diameter and get wire that has a copper core.

So what is left should screw out?

If thats the case Im back in business. I will follow up tomorrow with the outcome.

Typically, the plug wire goes into a 'cup' at the bottom of which there is a screw to hold it. I'll install a new wire and then seal it in there with a small bit of RTV.

mentioned last week i was looking at an SXLAO at a pawn shop for $40 (what?????). went back the next day with some mix and a round. pulled the muff and there were some mini scores that looked like carbon caused. showed that to the counterman and took it outside for a trial. added mix. it started on 4th pull. dayum! it literally attacked that round in the back of my truck. took it back in, explained about the awful scoring and how i'd have to rebuild it, and asked what their lowest price would be. he said $35 out the door. didn't even quibble, just handed him $35 and left. used the saw saturday on some white oak alongside my 375 and while its not near as fast as the 375 it ain't no slouch.
was i surprised at the asking price? yep.
could i have bargained for a lower price? maybe.
am i very pleased? yep.
now, here for your viewing pleasure.
I got a XL-12 from a member for $45 (plus $15 shipping). When it arrived 5 pulls is what it took me. Bar was junk but chain was good. Went out and put another $45 into it with a new 20" bar and chain. Perfect piston. Sure beats any brand new Wal Mart $150 Poulan or Homelite. Glad I bought that. Jerry looks like your really getting quite the Homelite collection. :yoyo: I know you got that and that C-5, what else you got?

I had a few 650s and 750s "in a box" and recently scored an nos piston and cylinder. So I put one together. It's got new seals, air filter, lower frame, carb kit, starter screen, and best of all, the big carb. here it is with a 36" bar and some 3/8" full skip chisel all serviced and ready to go......
View attachment 268513
View attachment 268515
......except for one thing. I was literally ready to put the air filter cover on and needed to switch the knob over to the threaded style of filter stud when I discovered that the 650 air filter cover has a different size and shape hole for the cover nut. Please help!!! I need the 1/4 twist style cover mount that came on 650s. Here is the differenceView attachment 268516 None of my sources have one. I've got money or stuff to trade!

When it's done I'm going to post a video of the 166 and 750 heads up, both wearing equivalent b&c. Should be a good race. Thanks for the help

You think that sounded alright? I thought it sounded a little rich to me...

I will have to let the experts here say for sure but to me it sounded like it didn't ever really "clear out". Not being familiar with a Zip Im just comparing it to my later model saws. I dont like to run these old lead sleds WOT on a bench so I tuned when I was out cutting and could cut, tune, cut tune etc. Didnt take long and the saw let me know when it was happy.

My Homelites are Kind of PO'd at me right now anyway, I drug home a McCulloch Saw :laugh:

Last edited:
So what is left should screw out?

If thats the case Im back in business. I will follow up tomorrow with the outcome.

Couldnt wait so I did dig all the wire out with dental picks. Made sure not to disturb the pin in the bottom or the threads. Age, heat, glue etc made it real fun lol.

Ill go find wire tomorrow and get her back going hopefully..... THANK YOU!

Couldnt wait so I did dig all the wire out with dental picks. Made sure not to disturb the pin in the bottom or the threads. Age, heat, glue etc made it real fun lol.

Ill go find wire tomorrow and get her back going hopefully..... THANK YOU!

This stuff works great to seal the joint with the new plug wire.

View attachment 268545

Be carefull with that coil as they don't come up on evilbay. The insulation on them tends to be soft mush. I went thru three for my latest C5.

This stuff works great to seal the joint with the new plug wire.

View attachment 268545

Be carefull with that coil as they don't come up on evilbay. The insulation on them tends to be soft mush. I went thru three for my latest C5.

That's what I use too. It works great on all electrical repairs and imo is a must have for the DIY guy.

Ps. The spray is great too, but very thin.

Last edited:
... Jerry looks like your really getting quite the Homelite collection. :yoyo: I know you got that and that C-5, what else you got?

not a big collection but big enough for now until the next one shows up
projects - xl-2's, ez auto's, 150
runners - sxlao, c5, 330, 410
but, like my sig says i'm an equal opportunity saw lover. just sayin.
startin to wonder "what the h am i doing with all these saws? i must be sick (like the ol says) or something:msp_smile:"

not a big collection but big enough for now until the next one shows up
projects - xl-2's, ez auto's, 150
runners - sxlao, c5, 330, 410
but, like my sig says i'm an equal opportunity saw lover. just sayin.
startin to wonder "what the h am i doing with all these saws? i must be sick (like the ol says) or something:msp_smile:"

I don't think you have the fever bad enough for her to care, yet.

I don't think you have the fever bad enough for her to care, yet.

yeah you're right but thats just my homies. got 40+ saws overall. while not that many compared to many of yas it still poses a storage problem. plus, the ol's opinion in this regard doesn't really matter; if it wasn't saws it would be something else

I posted in the old mag thread also,

Do any of you old mag Homie types know if the XL piston and SXL are the same or is it a bore and stroke difference? i have a nice looking SXL that has a scored piston and am looking for a donor.

Latest posts

Back