Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't worked on that model Tillotson carb or that kind of saw but i wonder is there any chance the original carb was replaced with another model / variant Tillotson that was actually not the correct carb for that saw at some point?
There are any number of possibilities. All I know is that this saw is in mint condition, used very little from all appearances. And it seems that I have hijacked Kshansen's thread. Sorry about that. Don't know if it can be moved to my original thread in what's on your bench or another on Tillotson Carbs.

thinking about this, it really doesn't make any difference. the whole compartment for the carb is under this filter. if you're worried about that small hole taking air and dust into the carb throat, the entire carb inlet is sucking in massive amounts of that same air/dust like a vacuum.

View attachment 1213645
I totally agree. Please remember, my original question was, should there be anything in there or is it the way it should be? Could there be a Welsh plug, screen, etc. missing? Also why is it there? What is its purpose?
All openings are pretty much sealed by grommets, ie: throttle linkage, choke linkage, fuel line. OT

If that opening is on the front side of the throttle butterfly in the venturi, I suppose it wouldn't have any affect on how the saw runs. I probably missed this but are you having trouble tuning the saw? Or just happened to notice that mysterious air passage?

If that opening is on the front side of the throttle butterfly in the venturi, I suppose it wouldn't have any affect on how the saw runs. I probably missed this but are you having trouble tuning the saw? Or just happened to notice that mysterious air passage?
It is behind the throttle butterfly towards the reed valves. I noticed it while rebuilding the carb. Not having any tune problems yet as it's still off the saw. Here is a better pic of the hole I am concerned about.
IMG_0763.jpg

There are any number of possibilities. All I know is that this saw is in mint condition, used very little from all appearances. And it seems that I have hijacked Kshansen's thread. Sorry about that. Don't know if it can be moved to my original thread in what's on your bench or another on Tillotson Carbs.
Oletrapper, this is the Homelite stickie, it's not anyone's thread, it's a mix mash of everything Homelite.

Good plan!

If you can't get the saw to tune, one thing you could always do is carefully drill and tap that little passage with a small drill and tap and install a tiny set screw to plug it. Then you could aways unplug it.

Latest posts

Back