HP requirement for 22gpm Pump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called Prince. They tell me that their standard LS3000 splitter valve will flow 28gpm with no problem, even though their literature says 25... :dizzy: Since companies usually puff up the stats, I expected that 22 would be more in line with a valve claiming 25, not the other way around.

Ian

Interesting... they have 2 versions of the LS3000... the 3000-1 has 1/2" work ports and the -2 has 3/4" work ports. They claim 25 on the -2 and don't show a flow rating on the -1.

Nice price too... $80.

thanks,
Ian

ian:
sound good that it is coming together.

-pumps. Barnes is usually stated gpm at 3600 rpm. Pumps are usually defined as cubic inches or cubic centimeter per revolution. Outside of the logspltter world with 3400/3600 rpm engines, most applications run either by 1800 rpm electric motors, or any imaginable range if driven from engines or gearboxes. Thus, size is given in cubic inches, easily converted to gallons with the rpm a given pump runs at.

-tank size: old rules of thumb were tank size in gallons = one to one and a half times pump flow gpm. This allowed 60 to 90 seconds of dwell time for oil in the tank to settle particles downward, and release air upwards. Not realistic or required anymore, especially for mobile equipment that just doesn’t have the space or weight for a big tank.
The old ‘rule’ was for industrial use, often with a fixed pump, where space wasn't a big deal. The sides of the tank provided enough area for cooling of simple circuits on presses, auto assembly stuff, conveyor lines, etc. New oils act differently and release air better. Better filters clean the oil. Basically no junk big enough to ‘settle out’ had better be in the oil or there are other problems. Heating and oxidation and additive life should not be a problem on a logsplitter or any consumer equipment.

Of more importance is tank design. As wk noted, the return oil can short circuit right across and go around again. So the internal baffling should decelerate the high speed flow from return line (way UNDER the fluid level, not above it), let it spread out and move slowly as a nice uniform lazy river with no dead corners, as long as possible to the suction ports. Some dead space at bottom is good for dirt and water to accumulate and be drained off. A large internal hex bushing type suction strainer works well as a return line diffuser-the flow goes out through all the openings or holes or screens.
Using that old rule, your tank should be 40 gallons. Not a chance.…… 10 would be I think too small, since that is effectively maybe 8 of oil and 2 of air. 15 gallons or so would give you about 30 seconds of dwell time with good baffle design and that is workable. I am working on a small machine design (sort of like a logsplitter) that will have about 11-14 gpm normal flow with a 3.5 gallon tank. I would not recommend that small for a home project. It is taking some creative return line diffusing and internal baffling, but weight is critical and for the life of a few hundred hours it will work just fine. If the tank is small, it is also cheaper to change oil out more often.

-tank: I would not use the old air tank. a. it is a bit small b. can't add baffles properly c. might be galvanized or coated and thus tough to weld leak free d. most importantly it will be full of rust and scale no matter what you do to clean it, especially if you can’t open it up for access.

So, now I just added another item to your list, to buy and fab a tank….. Most Northern or similar tanks are a simple box, with no baffles and no cleanout/access cover. Some are also pretty thin metal and with poor mounting feet that tend to crack easily.

-engine mount. I forgot, you did say vertical shaft. Not many bellhousings available as there isn’t a standard SAE mounting pattern for most L&G applications. You are sort of stuck making a plate, getting things aligned as best as possible then welded up, in lieu of doing the proper machining after welding. Do most of the welding except final alignment, then use lots of spacer blocks and clamps to hold things rigid. Weld the final joints with short beads and lots of cooling. This will minimize distortion. Not a big deal, the coupling might eat center inserts a bit quicker but it will work just fine for the hours use it will get.

-the 16 hp Kaw (V twin?) should be sweet. Son has a 19? Hp Kaw V twin on his Lesco commercial mower and it was a good engine, pretty smooth running. 1100 engine hours and it runs just fine.

-Prince valve: the 1/2 ports and 3/4 ports are based on the same casting and spool, so the pressure drop internally will be similar. Although it seems much bigger, the 3/4 version is not. However, the adaptors and hose fittings will be much bigger ID, so the 3/4 version is overall a better choice.

Mission creep, big time, but in the end you will understand the system well, know why you did what you did, and have a fast and powerful machine.

kcj

Thanks Kevin..

The 17hp Kawasaki is on my JD mower, not available for scavenging unfortunately. I was just using that to get an idea what rpm small engines run at.

I want to find a twin in the 18-20 range, so I'm not maxing the engine out to run the pump. A bit of extra HP would be nice. I have several folk looking for one. I went to the Northern Tool store just outside of Nashville over the weekend and a new 20HP Honda costs 1100... I'd like to find something similar to that used for 1/4 of the price tag. The only thing I've come across so far is a used 16hp single cylinder horizontal shaft B&S for $250. I believe the 21hp lawn mower a coworker was going to sell me has fallen through.

Air tank out.. gotcha. I will look for another suitable tank of a larger size that I can get cleaned out and baffled. Maybe end up with a large piece of square tube like some store-bought splitters are using if nothing else.

Bell housings... I saw at Tractor Supply they had a plate like you spoke of welded onto the engine mount that held the pump, no bell housing. The smaller NT splitters have a nylon bell housing and the larger ones used a large cast metal housing that mounted to the engine.

How I end up mounting the pump will depend on what engine I end up with.

Hydraulic lines... Since this is going to be a horizontal only splitter, think it would be smart to plumb it with hard lines as opposed to rubber flex lines?

thanks again,
Ian

Last edited:
I have read most of this thread, so I do not know if it has been said. Imho I would not build a splitter without an auto cycle valve. I had an american splitter with the 4 way wedge and an 8 second cycle time and always dreamed of having an autocycle valve on it. When the wood was all blocked up 1 person had to really hustle(run) to get the next block onto the splitter before the ram returned and went idle. I guess this wouldn't make much difference on a virtical splitter though.

I would stay with hoses

Over pipe.. Gives me a safer feeling. The splitter does have a return detent valve on it and 3/4 inch fittings..(I actually looked at it today) 4 inch cylinder.
It sure could use a good pressure washing..Might want to have terry help you set it out at a car wash on the way back home? LOL
I assume Terry is coming with you?

I have an 18 Briggs driving a 28 gpm pump and there is never a moments hesitation. I'm sure a 16hp like is recommended would work great.

Thanks, good to know. I tend to overdo things at times and buy bigger than I need.

Over pipe.. Gives me a safer feeling. The splitter does have a return detent valve on it and 3/4 inch fittings..(I actually looked at it today) 4 inch cylinder.

Good to know the cylinder size... Now I can look up more hydraulics formulas and try to deduct tonnage and theoretical cycle time. LOL

The concern with the valve on it is that it might be a closed center valve since it's a tractor setup. If that's the case, I'll have to replace it.

The hard line thing was something that wandered between my ears without warning. I'd have to take it to a hydraulics place and have them bend the pipe, probably not going to happen. Didn't know how it would do with the vibration either.

It sure could use a good pressure washing..Might want to have terry help you set it out at a car wash on the way back home? LOL
I assume Terry is coming with you?

Yep, as of now Terry is riding shotgun.. It's going to be a long day, I think the pressure washing will probably wait a day or three.

Ian

Last edited:
Hope ya did'nt put away your pencil & paper yet. OK, We'll say you are using a Haldex 28GPM pump, the pump is rated at 22 GPM on the high side, and 6 GPM on the low side. Now, the valve you were talking about, the Prince LS-3000-2. This valve is rated for 25GPM at 2250PSI. OK, you might get away with that?? But, the relief valve is only rated for 3GPM at 2250
psi. Now, I think if you are going to try to push 6GPM though a 3GPM hole. The shriek is going too be so loud, you are going to have all the bigfoot hunters from three countys down their pouring plaster of Paris in every hole they can find. Just a thought!

I just saw where a fellow used a beer keg for his oil tank

Ian do you know anyone that can weld aluminum?LOL
If you know someone that can weld a couple of nipples onto an aluminum keg. Bring more trading material.I just happen to have one that I used to use for my stand by generator gas tank.

Hope ya did'nt put away your pencil & paper yet. OK, We'll say you are using a Haldex 28GPM pump, the pump is rated at 22 GPM on the high side, and 6 GPM on the low side. Now, the valve you were talking about, the Prince LS-3000-2. This valve is rated for 25GPM at 2250PSI. OK, you might get away with that?? But, the relief valve is only rated for 3GPM at 2250
psi. Now, I think if you are going to try to push 6GPM though a 3GPM hole. The shriek is going too be so loud, you are going to have all the bigfoot hunters from three countys down their pouring plaster of Paris in every hole they can find. Just a thought!

So what you're saying is that if I'm splitting a really tough piece and the pressure gets up to the point that the bypass valve opens, it'll let me know in a loud and irritating manner that I need to reposition that piece?

Ian do you know anyone that can weld aluminum?LOL
If you know someone that can weld a couple of nipples onto an aluminum keg. Bring more trading material.I just happen to have one that I used to use for my stand by generator gas tank.

Nope, no aluminum welders in my social circle..

Ian

Now, I think if you are going to try to push 6GPM though a 3GPM hole. The shriek is going too be so loud, you are going to have all the bigfoot hunters from three countys down their pouring plaster of Paris in every hole they can find. Just a thought!
Another been there got that. Yeh it will shriek but the second you hear it you let off. Been there doing that for a couple of years now. The second I'm onto the relief I just get off it. Problem solved.

H&H, for all intended purposes me and TreeCo are where you are going, so you know it can work. Great advice and knowledge from kevin j about the details of putting it altogether. Sometimes its a mix of tried and true vs engineering know how. But in the end you will have what your after. A mean- lean- splittin machine!!!

Last year I put together a 18 hp briggs L-head, 22 gpm pump, 5x30x2 cylinder, with the prince 3/4" port valve, the tank is 21.5"x20x1/4" pipe, the beam is 9/16x8x8 40lbs per/ft. With the research that you are gathering your splitter will just fine. Charlie

Found an 18.5 hp B&S today possibly for the low low price of FREE.. I also found an 18hp B&S for $125 and a 21hp B&S for $150.

The free engine is the older style opposed cylinder twin and I'm told the $125 dollar engine is a V. I've not seen any of them yet, so I don't know what kind of shape they're in.

Ian

The free engine fell through... :( but....

The pump is here, all 22lbs of it. I'm going to assume that the big hex is covering the unload valve adjustment, the small hex is the high pressure output and the 1" tube with the jag is the input side. What is the red capped orifice and the plug with the allen key hole for? --Ian

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
the red caplug should be out.
Large hex cover is the unloading valve adjustment.
Small hex is probably the check valve, isolating the small section from backfeeding through the unloader spool. Allen plug is probably just a through bored hole the unloader spool goes in to make machining easier.

kcj

I had some questions on my own splitter, and someone here said that the rule of thumb is two gpm per HP, so for a 22 gpm pump, you need a minimum of 11 HP, but preferably 13. I'm running a 22 gpm pump with a 10 HP, and it works all right, but probably would work better with a few more horses.
I'm running a 13.5 hp engine and a 22gpm pump and mine still doesn't work right it bogs down on big logs or stalls the engine. So i don't know i need a bigger hydraulic valve or what.

Back