Husky Saw Chain / Raker with big bend in it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering why so many call these widgets "rakers" like they have a cutting function a la hand-crosscut.
They don't. Mfgs call them "depth gauges" which tells just what they do. Language at work.

One of these (20") H80 chains arrived with my refurb 455r Husky. Cuts fine, in oak, maple, ash; when need arises, I'll set the height with Granberg file guide. Only problem with the chain is that it's full-chisel, thus goes from sharp to dull like a snap-action switch. (My chains are mostly chipper, semi-chisel.)

209255d1322701557-vanguard-chain-jpg

I was given a couple of loops of it. It actually cuts not bad when you get it set right. I never tried to measure the rakers, too much hassle. When it wouldn't bite I just hit the rakers a couple of licks with the file.

A rotary tool would definitely be easier. PIA, but for free you can use it. I wore mine right to the witness marks on the cutters.

The wost kickback I ever saw was my nieghbor using a brand new loop of that stuff noodling a gigantic silver maple round. He just finished the cut and he gave it a little rev as he was pulling the saw up and those bent rackers caught on one side and his Shindaiwa 757 kicked up hard and fast pulling his hand off the front handle and his index finger went right into the chain. Luckily all he needed was a few stiches. He was missing the chain brake on the saw and he was reving it up as he pulled it out of the cut (that's one thing that always scares me when I see Brad Snelling reving up a ported saw as pulls it out of a cut on his videos) but I think those bent over rackers also contributed. I guess I would be careful with pinching the chain in the cut if I was using the stuff. I never wore PPE till that day either but after seeing how vilolent a saw can kick back I am a believer. I guess long story short, any chain can kickback and there are situations that I think this Vangaurd stuff can as well. Happy cutting and be safe.

Last edited:
Full Chisel ?

I realize this is a old thread but..... If the Oregon 72V chain is full chisel, why does it call for a round 7/32 file? I thought full chisel chain required a special type of flat file. The Oregon info .pdf for the Vanguard 72V chain says "full chisel", yet it also says "7/32 round file". I'm thinking about buying a Oregon 16" bar/chain combo, number 27851. It features the 72V chain. I can't seem to find any info on models of saws it will fit. Does anyone know if the this combo will fit a McCulloch 600 series/Timber Bear? If so, PM me.

Yes, I'm a novice.

(A thanks to Rick below. I can picture how a square cutter could be filed with a round file)

Last edited:
I realize this is a old thread but..... If the Oregon 72V chain is full chisel, why does it call for a round 7/32 file? I thought full chisel chain required a special type of flat file. The Oregon info .pdf for the Vanguard 72V chain says "full chisel", yet it also says "7/32 round file". I'm thinking about buying a Oregon 16" bar/chain combo, number 27851. It features the 72V chain. I can't seem to find any info on models of saws it will fit. Does anyone know if the this combo will fit a McCulloch 600 series/Timber Bear?

Yes, I'm a novice.

Yes, Vanguard chain is full chisel, round filed chain.

The chisel part denotes the cutting corner where the top plate meets the side plate. On that chain (and any full chisel chain) it's a neat point.
Semi-chisel and chipper chain have progressively larger curves on that corner to resist dirty conditions.

Square filed/ground chain is just full chisel chain that is, you guessed it, filed with a double bevel or triangular chisel file instead of a round file.

Wondering why so many call these widgets "rakers" like they have a cutting function a la hand-crosscut.
They don't. Mfgs call them "depth gauges" which tells just what they do. Language at work.

One of these (20") H80 chains arrived with my refurb 455r Husky. Cuts fine, in oak, maple, ash; when need arises, I'll set the height with Granberg file guide. Only problem with the chain is that it's full-chisel, thus goes from sharp to dull like a snap-action switch. (My chains are mostly chipper, semi-chisel.)

There is no such thing as full chisel - chisel is the correct expression.

Semi-chisel and chipper is not the same thing - they are two different designs. Chipper is mostly used on harvester chain these days, and no longer made for chainsaw use (as far as I know).

There is no such thing as full chisel - chisel is the correct expression.

Semi-chisel and chipper is not the same thing - they are two different designs. Chipper is mostly used on harvester chain these days, and no longer made for chainsaw use (as far as I know).

Carlton still make chipper chain in 3/8, it has a bigger curve than semi-chisel and it's a reasonable seller here in Australia.

Matt/MCW has posted some photo's up at various times showing the difference, I'll try and dig them up.

[edit] Niko, I just realised you are answering an old post, the fellow above me posted the most recent Q's. :D

Last edited:
Back