Husqvarna Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of my new-to-me 242XP, I apologize for the bad cellphone picture, but it is what it is.

Haven't really cut anything with it yet, but did mess around with it for a couple of minutes and liked the feel of it a lot, even though I'm not a massive fan of the slanted Husky handles.

dsc00342h.jpg

:clap::clap:
Here's a pic of my new-to-me 242XP, I apologize for the bad cellphone picture, but it is what it is.

Haven't really cut anything with it yet, but did mess around with it for a couple of minutes and liked the feel of it a lot, even though I'm not a massive fan of the slanted Husky handles.

dsc00342h.jpg

Nice saw! I like it! :clap:

It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark...It runs!

I am having a heck of a time getting the carb adjusted (but I pretty much always do).

Does the new P&R make it harder to adjust?

I had a couple 242XPs and was disappointed with their performance. The way they were talked up, I thought they would be a little stronger than they are. A 346 will run circles around them.

Yeah, I'm not expecting miracles here, and I take lots of the things said about them with a grain of salt. But as a light, quick, cheap saw for occasional small stuff, I think it'll do just fine.

Good Job on the 65 Brian! It looks good.

The carb shouln't be hard to adjust. Screws should be a little over 1 turn out to start.

:help:

I started 1-1/4 out on high needle, 1 out on low needle. Right now it idles nice but when I try to smack the throttle to go to high RPMs it bogs down and I have been up to 1-3/4 out on the low speed needle trying to chase scare that bogging away. If I baby the throttle just enough to get the chain spinning then smack the trigger and it will crank right up with the thottle to high RPMs no problem...

Last edited:

I started 1-1/4 out on high needle, 1 out on low needle. Right now it idles nice but when I try to smack the throttle to go to high RPMs it bogs down and I have been up to 1-3/4 out on the low speed needle trying to chase scare that bogging away. If I baby the throttle just enough to get the chain spinning then smack the trigger and it will crank right up with the thottle to high RPMs no problem...

Did you remove the welch plugs in the carb and make sure the 3 little idle holes under it were clear and not plugged?

Did you remove the welch plugs in the carb and make sure the 3 little idle holes under it were clear and not plugged?

I did remove the welch plugs and made sure I could see through every little hole. However, as carbs go, this one was the nastiest I have seen. All sorts of old white/brown stuff in there. I suppose something could have jiggled loose after all the cleaning...

I might have an extra welch plug from my Jonsereds 70E carb (didn't replace that one)...Should I pull it apart again?

husky

i have a 285 cd it has some igniton probs it will run for a min then die stone cold pull it three or 4 times and it will fire back up only for a min ,

I did remove the welch plugs and made sure I could see through every little hole. However, as carbs go, this one was the nastiest I have seen. All sorts of old white/brown stuff in there. I suppose something could have jiggled loose after all the cleaning...

I might have an extra welch plug from my Jonsereds 70E carb (didn't replace that one)...Should I pull it apart again?

I don't know, those 3 holes let the fuel out in transition to the throttle plate position and if some were plugged it can do like you described. Does the L screw seem to work and adjust normally when idling?

Maybe if it was that nasty something could have broken loose. Maybe pull the carb all back down and soak it in something for a while?

I don't know, those 3 holes let the fuel out in transition to the throttle plate position and if some were plugged it can do like you described. Does the L screw seem to work and adjust normally when idling?

Maybe if it was that nasty something could have broken loose. Maybe pull the carb all back down and soak it in something for a while?

No the low needle doesn't behave right. I can turn it in and make the saw run bad but when I back it out to clear up the "bog" it doesn't seem to do anything once it's about 1 turn out it seems inneffective...

Sounds like you might have some crap left in it. I think 1 3/4 out would make it so rich it would die.

Yeah, seemed weird...I guess I will pull that carb apart again and go for round two! If this is the only issue I have then I guess that would be okay!

Yeah, seemed weird...I guess I will pull that carb apart again and go for round two! If this is the only issue I have then I guess that would be okay!

I agree with Mark.... Quite probably crap under the welch plug on the low side. OOOPPS!!! Sorry..Didn't read the previous page where you said you had the plugs out!! I guess the next question would be, are you sure they are back in tight and not leaking? A little dab of fingernail polish on each one will seal them fine. Sounds like you will have to follow the low speed circuit back from start to finish, must have some crap lodged in there somewhere, limiting flow and not allowing you full adjustment. Also make sure you have the metering lever set correctly. Just a few thoughts... good luck.

Wouldn't fingernail polish come off in gasoline? I think I have an extra big welch plug but I can't pull the little one unless I buy a new kit.

Latest posts

Back