I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I just can't think like a criminal but how is someone going to make money off something they don't have?

Never seen a scam like that for such a low $$ amount. What I've seen before is people hyjacking somebody else's listing and pics (but substituting their contact info). Ususally the listings are for vehicles or equipment that's worth between a few hundred and a few thousand dollars (so the buyer will have a wad of cash in pocket). They list it for a price that's "too good to be true". Not sure what their "end game" is.............but I'll bet it's a setup for a robery.

They'd arrange a meet in some remote parking lot or other place, then jack the buyer for the cashola. I've seen repeated listings (over the course of a few months) for Stihl 440's, farm tractors, and vehicles. The locations had been changed. I usually save interesting listings for a while, so I've been able to contact the original sellers. In all cases, the first guy had sold the item already, and had no idea why somebody else was using their pics and listing text. They contactd CL, and the scam ads disappeared shortly afterwards.

Maybe I just can't think like a criminal but how is someone going to make money off something they don't have?

It is the idea that if priced reasonably a person will pay for it up front and guy will say sure I can ship it and then it never shows up.

If you use paypal it would not work but guy might say money order only etc.
Just a scam on the small side.

They do this when they steal credit cards. Buy a song from napster and then do a cash with drawl if they find card is good for an amount that will fly under the radar at a bank. How do I know. It has happened to us with a credit card number getting stolen:msp_scared:

It is the idea that if priced reasonably a person will pay for it up front and guy will say sure I can ship it and then it never shows up.

If you use paypal it would not work but guy might say money order only etc.
Just a scam on the small side.

They do this when they steal credit cards. Buy a song from napster and then do a cash with drawl if they find card is good for an amount that will fly under the radar at a bank. How do I know. It has happened to us with a credit card number getting stolen:msp_scared:

Good info Shane (and Lee). Sorry that happened to you.

CHAINSAW

Somebody quick go grab this bargin:dizzy:

Yet another one. I thought that overpriced cinderblocks were unique to this area....

Wiow. This joker put the pics back in his ad and raised the price up $625..

Rare 50" Mcculloch 895 Chainsaw

He's listed this saw several times over the last six months or so. Started at $1200 (with the pics in the listing above). Let it go for a while. Relisted several times (without pics) with prices ranging from $875-$995. He'd most recently listed it (without pics) for $875 less than week ago. Now that listing's gone, and we're up higher than ever....

The older listing doesn't show up in a search.......................but I saved the link and it still works!:laugh:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/clt/2583416159.html

Edit:

I was mistaken. Found his original listing (that I'd saved) from March 11, 2011. It had no pics, but he'd listed the saw for $2000! Unfortunately, the link for that listing is now dead. The $1200 listings came later...

Last edited:
Just when I thought I would never see a big McCulloch in or around the Knoxville area McCulloch 1-60 in really good shape it looks like. Probably not worth $300, but I don't know. If anyone is interested I can help.

Rare 50" Mcculloch 895 Chainsaw

He's listed this saw several times over the last six months or so. Started at $1200 (with the pics in the listing above). Let it go for a while. Relisted several times (without pics) with prices ranging from $875-$995. He'd most recently listed it (without pics) for $875 less than week ago. Now that listing's gone, and we're up higher than ever....

The older listing doesn't show up in a search.......................but I saved the link and it still works!:laugh:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/clt/2583416159.html

Edit:

I was mistaken. Found his original listing (that I'd saved) from March 11, 2011. It had no pics, but he'd listed the saw for $2000! Unfortunately, the link for that listing is now dead. The $1200 listings came later...

I went back and forth with this cat a half dozen
times over the value of this 895. Even gave him
ebay item numbers for the recent saw king 890
and my 895 i paid 187.50 for. But he is a stubborn
sob and thinks his saw with a 50 inch bar is worth
millions. Although i did finally get him down to 400.00.
But still to much for me.
He needs to hear from others that he's out to lunch
on his prices.

Lee

I went back and forth with this cat a half dozen
times over the value of this 895. Even gave him
ebay item numbers for the recent saw king 890
and my 895 i paid 187.50 for. But he is a stubborn
sob and thinks his saw with a 50 inch bar is worth
millions. Although i did finally get him down to 400.00.
But still to much for me.
He needs to hear from others that he's out to lunch
on his prices.

Lee

Lee, I can't imagine you shooting straight from the hip and telling someone how it is.

Doesn't sound like the guy I know...

:laugh:

Chris

Latest posts

Back