I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This ad is Stihl :laugh: up. Nobody is interested in a MS660 with a 30" bar for $400.00? Yes, it looks rough, but if runs well and is a solid saw....

Pasadena is a short drive for me. No, it's not my saw.

Stihl 660 30" CHAIN

That is worth it.

That's what I think, especially for someone who is looking for a work saw where cosmetic condition isn't important (of course the saw would need to be machanically sound). Around my area running 460s in that condition will bring $400.00.

:Eye:^:Eye:
This ad makes for some amusing reading. It's possible, maybe, that there might be a Bubba Jr. somewhere willing to barter.

Craftsman 18" chainsaw

He needs to add Sam I am I don't like green eggs and ham Sam I am

A dumb question: Would backing over the stump pull up the roots? Before anyone asks, no, I wouldn't attempt it.

Unless that stump has been there ten years in a damp enviroment there is no way that stump will just knock over. I have ground out stumps that have been sitting for five years and a lot of them turn rock hard and don't rot.

He needs to add Sam I am I don't like green eggs and ham Sam I am

Unless that stump has been there ten years in a damp enviroment there is no way that stump will just knock over. I have ground out stumps that have been sitting for five years and a lot of them turn rock hard and don't rot.

I was kinda joking but if it's rotten enough you could break it in two. No, the roots stay in the ground even if you ground up the stump, awfully hard to get all the roots out of the ground from some trees. There are some that don't have a bunch of roots, I think Pine or Cedar may not have as many as maybe a Maple or oak.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Mac Super 250 Not sure if that's a Super 250 or something else. It has a 450/550/S-550 AF cover on it. The black clutch cover sez 450/550/S-550 to me too. Has the good muffler and a full wrap handlebar. If it's a S-250 (with the wrong AF cover), 450, 550, or S-550, then that saw should be grabbed ASAP. A 'regular' 250 or some other 'pedestrian' front tank Mac (with the 450/550 AF cover swapped on) isn't quite so desirable, but it's still not too far off on the price given the good parts there. It requires a closer look...

Mac 10-10S And he's got a Stihl "311Y".........those are rare and sought after....:jester:

Poulan Super 250A Yet another guy who can't read a cursive "D" on a Super 25DA. You reposted the "311Y" and 10-10S link here BTW.

Craftsman-colored Poulan CounterVibe That's a clean 3.7 (Poulan 3700 or 3800) for a decent price.

... and go 'Shoot the s**t with Jeff! Probably a good guy. Shoot the #### with him for a spell and he'll probably cut you a good deal on those PM700's and such......................if he likes you.:D

Last edited:
That's what I think, especially for someone who is looking for a work saw where cosmetic condition isn't important (of course the saw would need to be machanically sound). Around my area running 460s in that condition will bring $400.00.

Yea. I found a 064 in my area a couple of years ago for 300. It needed another 125 or so to be a reliable work saw but its still cheaper than market pricing for similar size saws.

Makes me wish I had the cash and was close enough to buy that 660. That thing ported would be a hell of a monster.

whats up with the muffler on that mcgregor? Looks like a printer connection is stuffed in it...

That's a 'stack' style McCulloch 'muffler'. Common on the earlier front tank Macs and the Mac15. Homelite had similar 'stack' setups on early XL-12 and C-series saws. Remington and others had similar setups as well....

That's a 'stack' style McCulloch 'muffler'. Common on the earlier front tank Macs and the Mac15. Homelite had similar 'stack' setups on early XL-12 and C-series saws. Remington and others had similar setups as well....

Yep, and they were really bad designs. Loud as hell, and robbed power from the motor.

so, regarding the stack muffler. i have a C-5 that i am approaching the conclusion of a almost complete rebuild and am wondering if there's an alternate muffler that would be better suited.
i know the stack is loud but how does it rob power?

so, regarding the stack muffler. i have a C-5 that i am approaching the conclusion of a almost complete rebuild and am wondering if there's an alternate muffler that would be better suited.
i know the stack is loud but how does it rob power?

Two strokes need some back pressure to work effectively. Not familiar with that exact muffler, but too open leading to not enough back pressure would make it loud and "rob power". You can see optimum with the pressure waves on those hotsaw expansion chambers.

So...perhaps on those stock mufflers you could add a blocking plate, a small amount??

Latest posts

Back