Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
590 Project

attachment.php

Well the McDonald's version of the 590 is about ready to be started. I just want to blast and paint the muffler since it's very rusty and need a spark plug (it has a WAY wrong one in it). The lower brace needs to be attached to the bottom of the lower handle but as it sits on the bench it's about 2 inches away. I can flex it over because the anti-vibe spring in front let's me but it doesn't seem right. Is this purposely preloaded like that or is the tubular top handle likely bent?

Last edited:
attachment.php

Well the McDonald's version of the 590 is about ready to be started. I just want to blast and paint the muffler since it's very rusty and need a spark plug (it has a WAY wrong one in it). The lower brace needs to be attached to the bottom of the lower handle but as it sits on the bench it's about 2 inches away. I can flex it over because the anti-vibe spring in front let's me but it doesn't seem right. Is this purposely preloaded like that or is the tubular top handle likely bent?

That's pretty common Brian. The smallest bend in the front handle can throw it out of wack. Try loosening the front handle completely, also the side av screw that attaches to the cylinder. Once everything is loose, bolt the rear brace in. Then tighten everything else back up. Then remove the nut on the brace you just installed and see if it still is bowing out. You may have to put the front handle in a vise and give it a little straightening. If you run into a bind, you have my email.

I thought I wanted to try a 1020, but found out it's just a re-badged Partner. So what I'd really like to try is the 90...probably just a slightly bored out 80 and uses all the same parts? Anyway, VERY partial to the old 'true' Jonsereds.

Kevin

The 80cc version of the 90 is the 801, but the slightly older 80 is also very similar.

The last "true" Jonsereds was the 910 (1979), as I see it....:msp_wink:

The 80cc version of the 90 is the 801, but the slightly older 80 is also very similar.

The last "true" Jonsereds was the 910 (1979), as I see it....:msp_wink:

Why? Those 820-920's might have Electro Lux on them but didn't have any influence from the other "elux" companies. The re badged re plastic ed Husqvarna 625-630-670's were obviously a blend. Some of the cheap stuff pushed on the dealers were a result of that parent company. But the 930 was still all Jred....even the 2094 was still based on the old style Jonsered layout. I guess I understand from a purist stand point the 910. But really the design roots of a true Jonsered lingered into the 2095 series saw.

They had the Partner handle mount/AV system.

I see..Guess partner has had some impact in all of them. Is anything left of Partner other than the name? Might be an interesting line to collect. Other than the 5000 series are there and stand out BIG partners to hunt for? I know very little about them. (Another thread for this....I'll start one if you have any time to engage)

Last edited:
The brand is still sold at least in Europe, but is very far from the Pro brand it used to be.
The better saws may be made at the Husky factory in Sweden (not sure), and is still related to the P500/P5000 design - but most models are either made at a factory Husky owns in Italy (remnant of McC. Europe), or they are rebadged Poulans or Poulan Pros.

I'm sure you can find those kind too but I was referring to the chainsaw. I was in Moscow a few years back and Partner had a huge billboard right in the middle of the city. I was going to pick one up but didn't think it would fit in my carry on.

In my opinion, it was the 2095. At least that is the way I see it. ;)

2094/2095 is based on the 820/920 design, with the Partner handle system. It is a true Jonsered (as it isn't rebranded), but not a pure one.

Another point is that all the better Jonsered saws have been made at the Husky factory, at least since 1990. :msp_wink:

I see..Guess partner has had some impact in all of them. Is anything left of Partner other than the name? Might be an interesting line to collect. Other than the 5000 series are there and stand out BIG partners to hunt for? I know very little about them. (Another thread for this....I'll start one if you have any time to engage)

R440 and P100 are both 100cc saws that would be worth picking up. The P100 Super was painted red and sold as a Jonsered 1020. The P85 and P70 would be worth a look too.

Latest posts

Back