Makita 4030a 16" Electric Chainsaw clutch slipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbreezeet1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Moundsville WV 15 miles south of Wheeling WV
Please don't tell me to get a "Real" chainsaw. The Makita 4030a 16" Electric Chainsaw is regarded to be a good chainsaw. I only use the saw once in a while at home for cutting down bowl blanks for turning, and do not want the maintenance associated with gas motors.

The motor runs, chain is new, on in the right direction, but when you start to cut, the motor keeps running, but the chain stops, like the clutch is slipping.
I am not putting too much pressure, the weight of the saw alone can make it slip.
Is there any simple thing that might be wrong. I see lots of videos and articles about replacing clutch's on gas chainsaws, but none on the Makita 4030a 16" Electric Chainsaw.
Thanks,
Tony

Please don't tell me to get a "Real" chainsaw. The Makita 4030a 16" Electric Chainsaw is regarded to be a good chainsaw. I only use the saw once in a while at home for cutting down bowl blanks for turning, and do not want the maintenance associated with gas motors.

The motor runs, chain is new, on in the right direction, but when you start to cut, the motor keeps running, but the chain stops, like the clutch is slipping.
I am not putting too much pressure, the weight of the saw alone can make it slip.
Is there any simple thing that might be wrong. I see lots of videos and articles about replacing clutch's on gas chainsaws, but none on the Makita 4030a 16" Electric Chainsaw.
Thanks,
Tony

Tony

Welcome to AS! Making bowls sounds interesting!

I don't think electric saws have clutches. Gas saws have them so the engine can idle and not have the chain moving. One of the nice things about an electric motor is it doesn't have to idle.

I believe you may have a gear slipping on a shaft in the gearing on your saw. Not knowing the exact configuration of your saw it's hard to say what's slipping.

Dan

Last edited:
OK Thanks, Turning is pretty cool, but I am still pretty much a beginner.

Maybe they do not have a clutch, the only thing I see in the parts break down is called a Brake Drum assembly. Looks like the clutch would be inside it (if it had one.)
I am supposed to take it back to home depot Saturday, But the trouble is, it's a good hour each way.
I thought if it was something simple, I could fix it myself, and save the time and money driving up there.
I thought I was getting a deal on this, I brought it out of there tool rental department. But by the time I drive there and back 2 times now, I should have
just got a new one. There are a lot of president day 15% off sales this weekend too.,
Every time you try to save a nickle, it costs you a dime.

Tony

Welcome to AS! Making bowls sounds interesting!

I don't think electric saws have clutches. Gas saws have them so the engine can idle and not have the chain moving. One of the nice things about an electric motor is it doesn't have to idle.

I believe you may have a gear slipping on a shaft in the gearing on your saw. Not knowing the exact configuration of your saw it's hard to say what's slipping.

Dan

Just by looking at the pic I would say time for a new hub. looks like some filings on the drum, can you see wear marks on the drivers from it slipping?

Last edited:
Just by looking at the pic I would say time for a new hub. looks like some filings on the drum, can you see wear marks on the drivers from it slipping?

Didn't look at the chain all that close, It is a new chain though,
If I adjust the chain for about 1/4" slack at the top of the bar, I can pull it around the bar and get it to slip.
I really think that's what it is.
Should have just got a new one. (Chainsaw)

I think I would try that first. It sure looks like that is the culprit. :msp_thumbup:

I think I would try that first. It sure looks like that is the culprit. :msp_thumbup:

Thanks, There (Home Depot) supposed to look at it this weekend.
They say these tools are "Gone over" every time they come back in, and before they sell them.
They should not have let that go that way it was. :mad:
Next time ,it it's just gonna save me $100.00-$150.00 I am just going to buy new.
What I should have done in the 1st place.

Wish I had a new one to look at.
This thing might be more worn than it looks.
I don't know if the gear is supposed to be solid from the top of the drum to the bottom of that washer stack looking thing.
There are outlines of gears on the small washer part too, so maybe that is supposed to be a solid gear.

Well Im guessing the gear should look something like this View attachment 280227

unless chain runs in the outside rim , then for sure its shot

Yeah, solid like that up to the bottom of that washer stack.Those are solid on there, don't know why it's made quite like that.
What do you mean by "Outside rim" next to those washers?

It was hard to get a picture, but you should be able to see the teeth. Would this be bad enough to make the chain slip?
The brake drum comes right off with a e clip and a washer.
There is no clutch inside the drum.

No question in my mind that you found the problem! Congratulations! Great pics too!

280208d1361324388-dscf0588-jpg

This is what a good one looks like.

part_p_747632_3016797033.gif

Last edited:
View attachment 280228ya I didnt realise that was a stack of washers, I thought maybe that it was a wore rim sprocket.

Looks like a stack of washers, but they are fixed on the drum. Not really sure what they are.
Or what this is supposed to look like.
picture of the new part on line is not too good, I am looking for a better picture.

OK, almost has to be.
If you look at this drawing from the parts breakdown, it shows the teeth going all the way to the bottom of the "Washer stack"

No question in my mind that you found the problem! Congratulations! Great pics too!

Thanks manyhobbies, That camera is a fugi fine pic, it does take pretty good pictures.

this is what a new one looks like View attachment 280232 so no rim sprocket

its part # 125331-7 from what I can see

manyhobies and bushwackr's post s 13 and 14 I didn't see till just now.
Yeah, so it looks like the teeth are supposed to be solid.
I am gonna call them back and see If I can't just get them (home depot) to mail me the part. They probably don't have it in stock either. Save me the Gas for a hour each way.
So there we go another hour trip each way again to pick it up.
I can get a e mail address, and send them the pictures.

Just think, not you don't have to get a "real" chainsaw! :msp_ohmy: Just kidding! :msp_tongue: You'll be set for some time with this replaced. You might want to check the brush length while you're working on it.

These are great saws. I bought 2 (one for a friend) of the earlier model used from HD rental locations, and they have worked well for me. Always a bit of a crap shoot when you buy used. If mine 'died' I would not hesitate to buy a new (not used) one, or the equivalent Dolmar model.

MAKITA Industrial Power Tools - Tool Details - UC4030A

DOLMAR - ES-173 A

My saw (UC 4000) has a spring loaded, nylon gear behind the clutch drum that I do not see on your parts diagram. This gear was broken on one rental saw that I passed on.

Philbert

Those are well made saws. I've got one I bought used and it works great. Enjoy the variable speed feature. It's the only electric saw I know of that does this. The other Electric's are either on or off.

Back