Makita 4030a 16" Electric Chainsaw clutch slipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, well I can't see HD changing the bar, but maybe they did. I didn't count this one, but the one he gave me is 57 drive links.
Yeah, I know the 91VXL is not low kick back. I thought a "Non" non kickback chain was mostly a danger when plunge cutting,
And was reading where a lot of guys like this chain, as it lasts a long time, and stays sharp longer.
Of course, I am by no means a professional.
I have a 91VXL056G on my 358.341161 craftsman Electric, and it seemed to work pretty well.

Let me ask you this; I still need to learn to sharpen, but a sharpening shop told me I should have the chain professionally sharpened after about the 3rd. or 4th "home sharpening".
Is this true?

I have a 91VXL056G on my 358.341161 craftsman Electric, and it seemed to work pretty well.

You can try that one on the Makita and see if it fits. Some saws are forgiving for a link or two. Others are not.

. . . but a sharpening shop told me I should have the chain professionally sharpened after about the 3rd. or 4th "home sharpening".

Depends on how you sharpen and how good you are. If you don't get your angles and cutter lengths identical, it's good to have them cleaned up periodically. If you do, no need.

Philbert

OK, Sounds good. Might try it out tomorrow if we get a decent day.
Thanks,
You can try that one on the Makita and see if it fits. Some saws are forgiving for a link or two. Others are not.

Depends on how you sharpen and how good you are. If you don't get your angles and cutter lengths identical, it's good to have them cleaned up periodically. If you do, no need.

Philbert

OK, Sounds good. Might try it out tomorrow if we get a decent day.
Thanks,

Well used it yesterday for a little while, not slipping now at least. Does not seem to chatter like my sears 16" would do sometimes.
I think the chain could stand to cut a little faster, might try the 91VLV still.
Have to take the chain off, and run it, in the time I used it, I did not see the oil level dropping in the reserve tank.
Maybe that filter the manual talked about?

Well used it yesterday for a little while, not slipping now at least. . . .I did not see the oil level dropping in the reserve tank.

Glad the clutch issue was addressed.

Did you try the classic 'bar oil test' to see if your chain is oiling (sometimes take several seconds to show up)? I sometimes use an old pizza box as a target - oil shows up good on the white cardboard.

Philbert

Glad the clutch issue was addressed.

Did you try the classic 'bar oil test' to see if your chain is oiling (sometimes take several seconds to show up)? I sometimes use an old pizza box as a target - oil shows up good on the white cardboard.

Philbert

No, Maybe I will try that. Might be a few days, were supposed to have a pretty good storm coming in over night.

No, Maybe I will try that. Might be a few days, were supposed to have a pretty good storm coming in over night.

And if it is cold outside (below 40 or 45*F) you want to run winter weight (thinner) oil, or thin your bar oil up to 50% with kerosene. Regular stuff is too slow to flow when it is cold, and electric saws don't generate any heat to warm it up like 2-cycle saws do.

Philbert

And if it is cold outside (below 40 or 45*F) you want to run winter weight (thinner) oil, or thin your bar oil up to 50% with kerosene. Regular stuff is too slow to flow when it is cold, and electric saws don't generate any heat to warm it up like 2-cycle saws do.

Philbert

don't have any kerosene, but I just read thinning with ATF?

Back