McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my little guys, 2-10G and 1-10

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

A nice little pair Randy. How does the 2-10G perform? I have been intrigued by these small geardrive Macs ever since I have spotted them / known of their existence.

Your 2-10G is one nice example of the breed - very clean indeed. I have to ask as to what their popularity was like? It must have been a niche market McCulloch was aiming for in introducing a small bore geared reduction saw. I have always seen the geared saws as being the heavy duty larger capacity timber takers - particularly in the earlier days when engine technology / performance was increased by the addition of the reduction gearing. As we have seen, time marched on and the old growth timber was all but removed / restricted from the logging scene, and the need for the larger saws such as the the gear drives reduced, paving the way for dominance by the direct drive machines.

Regards,

Chris.

The 2-10G and it's brothers, are a replacement for the 33/35/39 series of all pupose saws. I think the thought behind the small geardrives is that they will cut anything. There is one at our local boatyard that is used to cut the lead keel weights out of sailboats. Our buddy Stinkbait's vid of his 5-10G shows that the 28" bar is entirely usefull, a 60" tree is not safe from the small geardrives. Homelite made very few XL15s, same thought, way different style.
The old "lunch box"

003.jpg

004.jpg

I haven't had the chance to saw anything with the 2-10 yet, I expect it will saunter it's way through just about anything. It will get a 28" bar, and real spikes as well as full wrap bars, why screw around:givebeer:

From my Australia thread earlier this year, I found a couple of non-McCulloch McCulloch colored saws. They are on the way over as I type, may even arrive this week if all goes well.

1st one, SP85 - a gift from Gumnuts (Graeme)

attachment.php

2nd one, SP118 - found in a shed at my friends neighbor, not sure but I may have to give $100 for this one, plus shipping eventually

attachment.php

I also have a PM1000 up on the shelf that needs some work and a new rear handle.

Mark

From my Australia thread earlier this year, I found a couple of non-McCulloch McCulloch colored saws. They are on the way over as I type, may even arrive this week if all goes well.

attachment.php

Mark

Graeme is a Great guy!
I have been fortunate to be able to share CAD with him!
A great guy indeed!

We all saw your thread Mark! Some even are still drooling!! LOL!

Looking For IPL or Manual for Mac 7-10A

Just received a nice Mac 7-10 Automatic. I was hoping someone could help me out with some documentation.
Appreciate any help. thanks,
Bob

Nice looking saw Steve. So I assume it came in the mail?

It came in on Thursday.

Is that saw a runner?
Looks clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It needs some work but it's clean.

2nd one, SP118 - found in a shed at my friends neighbor, not sure but I may have to give $100 for this one, plus shipping eventually

attachment.php

I also have a PM1000 up on the shelf that needs some work and a new rear handle.

Mark

Let us know when you get the 118. I'd like to know the serial number to see how close these are or not.

Just received a nice Mac 7-10 Automatic. I was hoping someone could help me out with some documentation.
Appreciate any help. thanks,
Bob

i can take the huge manuel i have for all macs there is even repair manuels in that thick old book i can scan them to make them pdf and email you the copy but this may take awhile let me know if you interested

i am may upload it to my parts lookup site i built
chainsawpartslists.com

still adding ipls i scan on my own

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Mark,

wow....nice finds right THERE!!!

good stuff.

LOL...only 100?? that saw looks barely USED!!! judging by the bottom of it!!!

I want a 85 &118 (hell, and a pm1000...) it would tie the Macs to the Dolmars, to the Partners...then maybe a Poulan to keep them all company!

I guess dolmar was quite the Wh0re of the saw-world, huh?? lol

Last edited:
i can take the huge manuel i have for all macs there is even repair manuels in that thick old book i can scan them to make them pdf and email you the copy but this may take awhile let me know if you interested

i am may upload it to my parts lookup site i built
chainsawpartslists.com

still adding ipls i scan on my own

Calvin, what repair manuals are included in your book? I have the 1-40.1-50, & 1-60 McCulloch Shop Manual, part # 60270. It is a great information source. Many of the early McCulloch owner's manuals were also called shop manuals, but they didn't give the amount of information that a true shop manual would contain.

anyone know if or where I can get a regular handle for a pm 850, or want to trade? I have the full wrap and Im not such a fan.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

I kinda like the looks of that "german cousin" to a mac. The color grows on yaa.

Any performance mods available for A PM850?

I just about have all my pieces together to build a personal use PM850. It will have a NOS cylinder, crank case and piston. While durability is my main goal, I would like to enhance the performance if I could. I can polish the ports and tinker with the muffler. I plan to get the piston coated by JetHot. But what else can I do? Is this a saw that is worthy of a port job? If so, any one that you would recommend? I like the low profile of the PM850 air filter cover, but are there performance gains from the high top cover of a PM800, 805, 8200, DE80 style?

Thanks for your input. Ron

I just about have all my pieces together to build a personal use PM850. It will have a NOS cylinder, crank case and piston. While durability is my main goal, I would like to enhance the performance if I could. I can polish the ports and tinker with the muffler. I plan to get the piston coated by JetHot. But what else can I do? Is this a saw that is worthy of a port job? If so, any one that you would recommend? I like the low profile of the PM850 air filter cover, but are there performance gains from the high top cover of a PM800, 805, 8200, DE80 style?

Thanks for your input. Ron

Those PM850's and there brothers run very well stock.
I'm not up on mods but if everything is new it sould
run very well.
"As Randy stated" A good chain is needed.

Lee

Nice Old Pulp Wood Saw

The more I worked on this 10-10A the more I really enjoyed it. If this old girl could talk she could tell some good stories. Nice old saw.

attachment.php

I'll post the rest of them on the main Chainsaw board.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back