McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just opened up the muffler on my pm 650... did i need to? nah but was it worth it? you better believe it:greenchainsaw:

I know it's hard to tell from pics, but what do you Mac guys think about this kart cylinder? I can feel some score lines, but they don't really catch my finger nail (barely maybe). The piston number indicates it's a standard bore. Any guesstimate on how much it would have to be bored to clean it up? I don't have a pic of the piston, but it's not too bad. I doubt that a karter would reuse it, I'm just describing it. The rest of the cylinder looks good and it was real clean on the inside.

Like I said in another post, I'm pretty good at cleaning parts up, but I'm not too good at judging them- its kind of frustrating.

i HAVE SEEN PEOPLE RUN WORSE. IT DOESN'T LOOK HORRIBLE. I WOULD GIVE IT A GO IF IT WERE MINE. A GUY MAY WANT TO JUST PUT IT TOGETHER AND GIVE IT A COMPRESSION TEST TO SEE IF IT'S TOLERABLE. IF YA CAN'T FEEL EM WITH YOUR FINGER NAIL THEY MIGHT IT MIGHT JUST GET YOU BY WITH NO TROUBLE.

Kart cylinder

Has it been honed yet? If not , I'd give it a LIGHT hone, and use it. I would not hesitate to use it as is either. When I ran karts, I used a lot of stuff like that, especially on Sunday when it occurred on Saturday. I believe tfhat the scratches are not significant . Be sure the rings are free in the grooves.
Pruit

My first NIB Mac!

I recently picked this one up. It's cool that it's NIB, but it just doesn't "speak" to me like the older Macs. I just got it because the price was right. Not sure what to do with it, I thought about using it as my firewood saw, but most likely it'll go on fee-pay.

610ltside.jpg

610rtside.jpg

610rear.jpg

610giblets.jpg

The NIB Mac I really want awaits me in Iowa. Human eyes have not yet looked upon it, still has the staples in the lid.

PM800.jpg

Jim

Hey Calvin,

Not so much the past year, prior to that it seemed I was in Chesapeake (VA), Raleigh & Fayetteville (NC), and Salisbury (MD) quite a bit.

Either I solved all of their problems or they have given up on me...

On one of my trips out that way I got to meet Eddie Anderson (Stihl#1) and Steve Martin (wild'ncrazyguy).

attachment.php

And what does the #1 Stihl trainer in all of the USA have lurking in his private collection?

attachment.php

On another trip I met Hoss and Thall.

attachment.php

Since this is the McCulloch thread, here's Hoss giving his 73 a go

attachment.php

I believe that is his 797 in the background.

I need to find a way to get back out that way again...

Mark

Since this is the McCulloch thread, here's Hoss giving his 73 a go

attachment.php

I believe that is his 797 in the background.

I need to find a way to get back out that way again...

Mark

I love it!! Big billowing clouds of smoke, with the noise to match. That saw looks big even in his hands.

Hey could somebody please tell me where the decompression valve would be on my 7-10??? I think mine is having problems/broken/missing some parts.

Hey could somebody please tell me where the decompression valve would be on my 7-10??? I think mine is having problems/broken/missing some parts.
Should be on the back of engine, close to sparkplug on right if I'm not mistaken. Should be easy to see. Some of the 10 series saws don't have one, come to think of it. My 10-10 doesn't have one.

Last edited:
Has it been honed yet? If not , I'd give it a LIGHT hone, and use it. I would not hesitate to use it as is either. When I ran karts, I used a lot of stuff like that, especially on Sunday when it occurred on Saturday. I believe tfhat the scratches are not significant . Be sure the rings are free in the grooves.
Pruit
Actually, when you hone a cylinder you are scratching it...but all the scratches are in a uniform X pattern and (hopefully) are evenly spread on the cylinder.

Should be on the back of engine, close to sparkplug on right if I'm not mistaken. Should be easy to see. Some of the 10 series saws don't have one, come to think of it. My 10-10 doesn't have one.

Thanks for the reply. If I'm missing parts from that valve, do you think there's a way I could just plug it up??? and yeah, my 10-10 doesn't have one either. My problem with finding it on the 7-10 was that there is no visible switch/button for it. Maybe it's just automatic somehow???

Thanks for the reply. If I'm missing parts from that valve, do you think there's a way I could just plug it up??? and yeah, my 10-10 doesn't have one either. My problem with finding it on the 7-10 was that there is no visible switch/button for it. Maybe it's just automatic somehow???

I doubt it. The "automatic" ones like the Homelites used a stiff wire running from the rear handle to the top of the valve. If yours has parts missing or you just see a threaded hole there I suppose you could put a short bolt in it. Remember, these old saws don't have any metrics on them!

Last edited:
A pair of 47's

I picked up two model 47's in the last week from different people. The first appears to only be missing the original starter handle and has a piece out of the gas cap.

McCulloch47011.jpg

The second is all there:

Poulan245SA014.jpg

Here they are together:

Poulan245SA018.jpg

Latest posts

Back