McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those PM850's and there brothers run very well stock.
I'm not up on mods but if everything is new it sould
run very well.
"As Randy stated" A good chain is needed.

Lee

Quote: Just keep it sharp, that is all you will need for a PM850.

So you guys don't recommend even polishing up the castings? I went to buy a PM850 in January of 1981. The dealer talked me into a PM700 instead. He said a PM850 was too hot and I would likely burn it up. He claimed 13,500 rpm's and that at 9500 rpm a PM700 was more durable and better suited for my general use. He also mentioned that a PM700 made better use of dull chains than a PM850 (personally I don't believe in dull chains - I rather use a so so saw with a sharp chain than use a great saw with a dull chain). I still have the PM700 but after running a PM8200 the old flame was rekindled. Since I'm building it from parts (first and hopefully only saw I'll build), I just wanted to do something special with it. But if you say keep your hand off the cylinder, I'll oblige. Thanks for your input. Ron

While they are not made of "unobtanium", pistons and cylinders for the 850's are as rare as hens teeth; I would recommend keeping it stock and making sure you always run a good mix and just a tad on the rich side to keep those NOS parts as good as NOS.

P.S. If you have a supply of NOS cylinders and pistons, please let the guys here know as several of us would be willing to make a nice offer on some.

Mark

redfir.jpg

While they are not made of "unobtanium", pistons and cylinders for the 850's are as rare as hens teeth; I would recommend keeping it stock and making sure you always run a good mix and just a tad on the rich side to keep those NOS parts as good as NOS.

P.S. If you have a supply of NOS cylinders and pistons, please let the guys here know as several of us would be willing to make a nice offer on some.

Mark

All I have is a stash of attention needing 82cc Macs. There are NOS "A", "B" and "C" pistons out there - anywhere from $60 to $85; just do a google search using "McCulloch and the right part number". I got the cylinder and crankcase off Ebay for next to nothing. Small engine shop seller didn't know what it was. I thought I recognized it and ask for a bore measurement. When she came back with the right measurement, I bid on it. I don't think anyone else took the time to figure it out or they didn't want to risk it. Other than being new, it is identical to my PM850 (there are no numbers on it just the "B"). Just look everyday for something and you maybe surprised with what you'll find - you may also go broke or get thrown out of the house or both. I got quizzed just today about the arrival of a PM570 I bought for the parts! To think I joined this site only recently for help with a PM8200 only to end up with it inviting a PM850, a SP81E, 2 PM800's and a DE80 over for company is a little overwhelming for me. I don't even know what CAD stands for but I think I caught it. :dizzy: Seriously, I plan to rid myself of all but two before Fall. With help from this site, I am slowly get them to run right and put back together (so far just fuel issues and replacing chain brakes and the like). Ron

I'm sure Wiseco could be talked into it, but after some serious research into a Wiseco 066 piston for my 288, I decided against it. Don't get me wrong, they're very nice parts, but for the money I couldn't see doing it and they're considerably heavier. Mac pistons aren't that scarce... yet.

I even have a Yellow saw to go along with the Orange & Black saws!

attachment.php

OK whats the deal on this saw? I looked at the Acer's site, and there is no Super Pro 118 listed. Is this just a saw that they missed, or is this some kind of inside joke? What are the specs on this saw? Is it 118cc as the name would suggest, or something altogether different? Thanks for any and all information. JR

OK whats the deal on this saw? I looked at the Acer's site, and there is no Super Pro 118 listed. Is this just a saw that they missed, or is this some kind of inside joke? What are the specs on this saw? Is it 118cc as the name would suggest, or something altogether different? Thanks for any and all information. JR

Yes the saw is really a Dolmar 166 with a McCulloch paint job and decals. Only imported to Australia. There were six other Dolmar's in this series. Go here for more info -> http://macbobaust.com/saws69.html.

saaaaxxxaayyy.

lol.

is that a decomp valve i see??? would be very useful on just about ANY dolmar i've ever ran...lol

J

Some of the earlier model 166's didn't have a decompression. But most did have them.

Steve

Steve,

I hate you In a nice way:cheers:

Wow...is that saw new? good lord. the muffler doesn't have a spot on it, and I think the 'missing' paint on the bottom was from when it was removed from the box it came in!!!

Are the bumble's prevalent in Aust?? I'd love to have one someday.

J

Last edited:
The Mcculloch SP118 was made by Sachs Dolmar for Mcculloch only in Australia. Yes it is 118cc's and it is the
same saw as the Sachs Dolmar 166.

Lee

Leeha, 166, and everyone, this is what I love about this site. You ask a question and very quickly you get an answer and all the good stuff. McCulloch sure did some weird thing when they were going strong. That saw is in great shape. Bet is cuts great to. Thanks guys. JR

Leeha, 166, and everyone, this is what I love about this site. You ask a question and very quickly you get an answer and all the good stuff. McCulloch sure did some weird thing when they were going strong. That saw is in great shape. Bet is cuts great to. Thanks guys. JR

+1:cheers::agree2:

I've been spoiled here...having some issues with the wife's TDI Jetta, and over at the TDIClub forum, etc...it's VERY slow getting a response from people.. UGH!

J

Latest posts

Back