McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could do it, in Redwood with a very light touch, you might live long enough to finish, and then there was an Echo ad showing a 302 with 28" of bar falling a 60" Redwood. Fine if you have all day. You can bear down on a 895 with a 72" and with a 797 with 60".

You could do it, in Redwood with a very light touch, you might live long enough to finish, and then there was an Echo ad showing a 302 with 28" of bar falling a 60" Redwood. Fine if you have all day. You can bear down on a 895 with a 72" and with a 797 with 60".

Spoken by a man who knows, and has done it! Good on you Randy, and thanks for your experience!

:cheers:

Chris.

PS - How is that 900G of yours going? Have you got her cleaned up yet?

I dont think I could even imagine cutting trees like that. Very impressive pictures, thanks for posting them.

Redwoods present problems that few other trees have, some of the great Cedars are similar. The great size, height, weight and brittleness require a level of expertise not often seen. Also the job requires teamwork, 2-4 men at the tree, atleast one D8, maybe two, for clearing the layout. Other that that, a tree is a tree, the same princibles apply, large or small.
I didn't get to fall any really prime Redwoods, mostly topless, rotten stuff, "beginner's" trees, all under watchfull eyes. I missed getting into the 12 foot club by 3 inches, no matter how I measured, I couldn't come up with the full 12 feet. Should have cut closer to the ground on that one :)

Those are great photos, thanks for posting them Chris. Does the book mention where they were taken?

The first photo belongs to a fallen tree at 'Fritz's Plot' in Big River - Mendocino County. The pic was taken in Feb 1995, and the tree netted almost 25,000 board feet of prime timber. In 1989 the tree had fallen into the river roots and all and formed a natural bridge for about 5 years. High water moved the tree 4 miles downstream, where it was bucked off its stump, pulled into the beach with a D8, and then bucked into sections as per the -
photo.

The second tree was felled at Mule Creek, Mendocino County, 1984. The tree was a big 'double' and measured 22 feet at it's widest point.

The last photo shows a picture of Mike Davis using the 125 Mac. This was taken in 1985 at James Creek, Jackson State Forest - Mendocino County.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics - here a couple more ( I won't post anymore due to the fact that this is Gerry's work and that we need to support him and go out and get hold of his wonderful book!)

Regards,

Chris.

These are all taken of the big tree at Mule Creek.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

For a unbiased opinion I think you guys should hook me up with a 797, 895, 090, 090G, and a SP125C, and one with a Kart motor

:D

Off to Acres to check out the 797 and 895

Thanks for the pictures Chris. Dont think Id mess with the hoss holding the 125

For a unbiased opinion I think you guys should hook me up with a 797, 895, 090, 090G, and a SP125C, and one with a Kart motor

And you are going to test them on what? you will need some serious wood, 6 foot or better to get a real test.

And you are going to test them on what? you will need some serious wood, 6 foot or better to get a real test.

A quick 2 hour trip up to VA to see Stinkbait and IGPOE. The wood we were cuttin at the Heritage Vestival is up there. It was 67" oak, is that big enough? None of that silly softwood you guys cut in the PNW :D

A quick 2 hour trip up to VA to see Stinkbait and IGPOE. The wood we were cuttin at the Heritage Vestival is up there. It was 67" oak, is that big enough? None of that silly softwood you guys cut in the PNW :D

Yeah, we still have our silly big conifers here, we also have plenty of big hardwoods, world class, just just like the conifers. 67" is a start, better start the cream sickles at the small end, so they can appear to be competitive.

All these pictures of big wood and long bars...This must be the "Homelite Forum". ROFL :givebeer:

Homelites did indeed get their share, in some regions all you would see were big Homelites. The late arriving foriegn saws saw so little of the big old growth, and yet from what we hear, Stihl "owned" the woods. Wishfull thinking and fabrication from some owners of imported boat anchors. Where were the imports during the '50s and '60s when the bulk of the old growth was felled, nobody cares, they weren't here.

Nice pic's Chris. Going to order the book today.

Randy, As always i like hearing your experiences.

I wish i had some BIG wood to sink my big saws into.
But i will have to make do with the little wood we have
in the Northeast.

Lee

Come on up to Ma.
I can let you run all of these except the 090G.
I hear there not all what there cracked up to be.
I would take a Homie 3100G over an 090G
Also have the only 797G that i know of.

Lee

Lee buddy!!!
You might have your chance, but you will have to come West. I'm talking to a big timber company, trying to get them to pony up some logs for a charity based GTG, we will saw for those who can't. They are liking the PR spin, but I'm dealing with the office crowd, I may have to resort to speaking bureaucrat with them, something I do well at, but hate it. Being civil with idiots is tiresome.

Hi,

here are a couple of pics from the G. F. Beranek book - 'High Climbers and Timber Fallers' showing an 090 with fitted out with an 84" bar. She must have been working hard with that much bar in tow. Definitely gear drive material those lengths.

Being a McCulloch thread - I had to include a picture of the mighty SP125, fitted in this case with the Kart engine.

The book is an excellent read and is available to order from him at:

http://www.atreestory.com/

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

Very cool pics, thanks for sharing. Those guys are way more manly than me :dizzy: Any one who can stand up on a 2x6 and use a sp125 gets my respect :clap:

Latest posts

Back