McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez it's hot. Fifth day in a row above 90 here. I have everything to get that D44 done sitting on the bench. A couple hours of work and she'd be back in business. But I have to work all day in this heat, when I get home I come inside to a/c and refuse to go back outside for anything. I grew up without it, so I really appreciate it. Maybe this weekend. Need to play with that 1-70 I picked up, too. New starter sitting here ready to go on it and unlock the mysteries within...

Mcculoloch 890 Bar Tip, WOW GREAT!!!!

Thanks Jay,

If you find one let me know. I won't trash the bar.

Mike

A waste of space, and a pile of unusable trash...

send it to me, i'll add it to the scrap pile, and recycle properly

well, on the other hand, i could use the recoil rope, so, maybe a case of bar/chain oil for the trouble :monkey::cry:

mlind i *may* have a replacement roller...don't trash the bar...it may take me a bit to dig it out.

Jay

Got her running pretty good, even tried her out on a 2x4 real quick, but she won't idle. I'll try the hi \ low settings you suggested. Does the oiler have a seal? How do I correct the problem? Also, the fuel is mixed at 30:1 and am wondering if that could be the smoking problem? Thanks everyone for your help so far, this crap is greek to me......hehehehe..........

Sometimes when a saw has sat for a long time with oil in it it seeps into the crankcase. It might be all right after you burn the initial amount out of it. If you plan on not using the saw for awhile I'd drain the bar oil to keep this from happening again. That excess oil might be the reason it doesn't idle too well also. You might want to run it several times before adjusting carb so all the chain oil will be out of it then adjust the carb when engine is warm. No reason yet to adjust the H screw as that does little to the idle, adjust the L and the idle speed screw.

Last edited:
Sometimes when a saw has sat for a long time with oil in it it seeps into the crankcase. It might be all right after you burn the initial amount out of it. If you plan on not using the saw for awhile I'd drain the bar oil to keep this from happening again. That excess oil might be the reason it doesn't idle too well also. You might want to run it several times before adjusting carb so all the chain oil will be out of it then adjust the carb when engine is warm. No reason yet to adjust the H screw as that does little to the idle, adjust the L and the idle speed screw.

my bad I forgot the oil seepage he is rite don't do the carb yet

Geez it's hot. Fifth day in a row above 90 here. I have everything to get that D44 done sitting on the bench. A couple hours of work and she'd be back in business. But I have to work all day in this heat, when I get home I come inside to a/c and refuse to go back outside for anything. I grew up without it, so I really appreciate it. Maybe this weekend. Need to play with that 1-70 I picked up, too. New starter sitting here ready to go on it and unlock the mysteries within...

Yes my friend the AC has been cranking for a few days. Getting ready to head down to Arcola, Indiana for a pull hopefully the heat breaks. I was out working on some saws last night and after 15 minutes enough is enough. You gotta love mysteries on these old beasts.

I have this MC 91A kart engine I talked about earlier http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71126&page=433 . I've heard you can put these in Mac 250 frames. I don't want to port it or add the big carbs, I want it to look stock. How complicated would it be to put it in the 250 frame? Will the saw reed, carb, and air cleaner parts bolt right up? Can I build a hotter saw by using carb and reed parts off another mac saw? Will the clutch and other parts bolt up? So now I have a 100cc kart engine saw, so how hot will it be- is it worth it?

I had really rather see the engine used on a kart, but it might be a fun project- but maybe it's too complicated for me.

Yes my friend the AC has been cranking for a few days. Getting ready to head down to Arcola, Indiana for a pull hopefully the heat breaks. I was out working on some saws last night and after 15 minutes enough is enough. You gotta love mysteries on these old beasts.

Have fun at Arcola, should be a good show. I'm heading for Ubly after work tomorrow. Beer fueled street party with a tractor pull right through the middle of it. Tons of fun to go to.

Actually... I digress on the DB saw thingy in this thread...

Mods should remove anything said about the DB saw and the whole deal... my above post included.

This is a fantastic thread about McCulloch saws... It shouldn't get all boogered up with this. There is already a thread elswhere about the saw in question...

I would rather not see this thread as a sticky, but that's not my choice.

Gary

I have this MC 91A kart engine I talked about earlier http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71126&page=433 . I've heard you can put these in Mac 250 frames. I don't want to port it or add the big carbs, I want it to look stock. How complicated would it be to put it in the 250 frame? Will the saw reed, carb, and air cleaner parts bolt right up? Can I build a hotter saw by using carb and reed parts off another mac saw? Will the clutch and other parts bolt up? So now I have a 100cc kart engine saw, so how hot will it be- is it worth it?

I had really rather see the engine used on a kart, but it might be a fun project- but maybe it's too complicated for me.

I think it is worth it. This is a sp105 I built with a 92 kart engine.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rf0RiNExNH8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rf0RiNExNH8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Also, I was able to use an efco bar with out modifiying it for the old McCulloch. I need to take that saw out an run it again. It really is a fun old saw.

I think it is worth it. This is a sp105 I built with a 92 kart engine.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rf0RiNExNH8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rf0RiNExNH8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Also, I was able to use an efco bar with out modifiying it for the old McCulloch. I need to take that saw out an run it again. It really is a fun old saw.

pretty nice the old ones always are fun I use my Mac 35A to make smoker chips

Back