McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I've been hitting this thread through the UserCP since I haven't a lot of time to peruse the site. Just noticed this thread went Sticky!!!

It is NOT what it is, because it will be what it wasn't!

Guess im wasting my time, least its not yours right :)

I think what Gary and I were trying to say is that you probably wouldn't notice much difference in the saw's performance by modding it. But since you're already tearing into it, the next thing I would do is take it outside or somewhere off your work bench and give the engine a good cleaning. Good luck on your build!

Last edited:
I think what Gary and I were trying to say is that you probably wouldn't notice much difference in the saw's performance by modding it. But since you're already tearing into it, the next thing I would do is take it outside or somewhere off your work bench and give the engine a good cleaning. Good luck on your build!

why wouldnt you notes much difference is it to small or just not a good-enough saw Iv dun small mods on small saws and they were a lot better and my weed eater is faster and has more power also ?

why wouldnt you notes much difference is it to small or just not a good-enough saw Iv dun small mods on small saws and they were a lot better and my weed eater is faster and has more power also ?

It's just not the kind of thing I would spend much time on. I said previously that I own a couple of this kind of saws and a couple of the metal ones also. I, personally, would not mod any of my saws other than maybe change something to make it simpler, easier to work on, etc. These little plastic saws are good enough to do trimming as they are. I can't see the advantage to getting more power out of them. I also have a Homelite 3850, which is a fun saw to use but it is what it is and to most here on AS they wouldn't take it if it was given to them, but it will cut firewood so I'll keep it around but I wouldn't consider any modifications to it other than to take that bothersome throttle cable off and try to replace it with a stiff wire, if possible.

It's just not the kind of thing I would spend much time on. I said previously that I own a couple of this kind of saws and a couple of the metal ones also. I, personally, would not mod any of my saws other than maybe change something to make it simpler, easier to work on, etc. These little plastic saws are good enough to do trimming as they are. I can't see the advantage to getting more power out of them. I also have a Homelite 3850, which is a fun saw to use but it is what it is and to most here on AS they wouldn't take it if it was given to them, but it will cut firewood so I'll keep it around but I wouldn't consider any modifications to it other than to take that bothersome throttle cable off and try to replace it with a stiff wire, if possible.

sorry I got it now and you're rite if just doing little work no reason I only mod my saws I use out in the field at work all day like my jonsered its only off to oil and fuel my big old fun saws are stoke but no need to mod them

sorry I got it now and you're rite if just doing little work no reason I only mod my saws I use out in the field at work all day like my jonsered its only off to oil and fuel my big old fun saws are stoke but no need to mod them

I think we've discussed it here on AS before that modding a muffler is one thing but extensive porting on an engine could turn the chainsaw into one which won't start, only has a narrow(high) power band or could be an instant door stop. If you're just starting out, small steps at a time is the order of the day. With modding a muffler about the worst thing to happen is you'll have to buy another muffler.

I think we've discussed it here on AS before that modding a muffler is one thing but extensive porting on an engine could turn the chainsaw into one which won't start, only has a narrow(high) power band or could be an instant door stop. If you're just starting out, small steps at a time is the order of the day. With modding a muffler about the worst thing to happen is you'll have to buy another muffler.

yes I agree I only and can only do muffler mods I don't and wont do porting no need to I will also do what I can to get more air to the carb without gating more dirt in it I did take 1 saw and put a small screen behind the carb to disperse the fuel better it helped very little and leaked in a short time so that don't work but you're rite little mods go a long way and if you're new get to no different saws and how they work I didn't do my first muffler mod for years and I started with a weed eater at that

May not be a "real" Mac, but I encourage you anyway. I like odd-ball builds.
Ya i mean come on a ported 3516 LOL

Thanks, i actually read on here a guy ported his 3516 and saw a drastic increase in power.

Ya i mean come on a ported 3516 LOL

Thanks, i actually read on here a guy ported his 3516 and saw a drastic increase in power.

Not trying to be a wiseass but if I want a more powerful saw I just go out to the garage and pick up my PM700. It's a lot easier than trying to modify my Eager Beaver.
insertimage.gif
attachment.php

Last edited:
Not trying to be a wiseass but if I want a more powerful saw I just go out to the garage and pick up my PM700. It's a lot easier than trying to modify my Eager Beaver.
insertimage.gif
attachment.php

lets just get one of those new green things at wall mart and mod it sorry saying the name of the green thing that starts with p will ruin my computer

Uncle gave it to me.

Looking to learn all the mods on this saw. What all can i do with it?

mac3516002.jpg

Like every one said, just leave it as is........

Not much you could do to it anyways. It does have the general mac saw longitudinal engine layout. With gas tank and oil in the wrong locations. Some what easy to work on and parts are kinda cheap. You CAN not get new rings for it. If you have a tach, it's max rpm is 11000. And boy does it vibrate! Don't run it with out the air filter house lid on. You'll lose the square bolts and retaining clips. Don't ask how it know! LOL :monkey:

I've got one that I need to rebuild the carb, change out the fuel lines and filter. Then it is going to my dirt poor neighbour.

Mike

lets just get one of those new green things at wall mart and mod it sorry saying the name of the green thing that starts with p will ruin my computer

Only reason I have this right now is that it was cheap ($8), looked like new and just needed carb cleaning and fuel line. Runs good. The only "mod" to my saw is the elimination of primer bulb. Starts just fine without it and the one on saw was busted. One aluminum patch, a little epoxy and some black primer paint and it looks like the primer bulb was never there.

Last edited:
price is good I had one till the plastic over the muffler caught on fire don't no if the fire or lake it went in did it probably lake

i could careless how crappy this saw will be even when i mod it. I want to learn on this saw so i can go to bigger and better ones. I do not want learn how to port on a $600 stihl, echo, etc. This isnt my everyday saw i have a nice echo that performs to my expectations.

Im having fun working on this little saw all im looking for is a little advice. Its my time and money that im blowing, but im having fun so who cares.

So with that said what flywheel puller works on this thing?

Last edited:
ok start with muffler mod see what you think then go to intake shave file and sand just a little not to much or you got more troubles than you want sea how it goes then do you low or hi speed or power go to exhaust do same as intake top side or bottom side you re choice but not both than reset carb hope you have a very good ear for this one that's about it and that's why I don't do bigger mods and a muffler mod does just fine on my saws that run from 4.5-6 hp. have fun with it and good luck

Alright guys!

Here goes!

What is the largest one man Mac that can be constructed? (gear drive of coarse!)
I am still figuring out the whole whole Mac series and possible matches!
I am pretty much just getting even more lost!
Know I know why you guys are liking these yellow things.

I have come to a uneducated find so far:
890G chassis
101AA engine

Any thoughts!
Thanks guys

Alright guys!

Here goes!

What is the largest one man Mac that can be constructed? (gear drive of coarse!)............................
I have come to a uneducated find so far:
890G chassis
101AA engine

Any thoughts!
Thanks guys

Matt,

The largest would be the 99 at 161cc and yes it can be ran as a 1 man saw without problems.

Bill

Latest posts

Back