McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Primer instead of a choke is prolly a McCulloch Flatback carb. Decent carb, but rebuild kits are about 50 bucks a pop. Really poplular with the Kart guys.

A lot of Flatbacks got chucked back in the day and replaced with a Tilly HL.

Gary

Primer instead of a choke is prolly a McCulloch Flatback carb. Decent carb, but rebuild kits are about 50 bucks a pop. Really poplular with the Kart guys.

A lot of Flatbacks got chucked back in the day and replaced with a Tilly HL.

Gary

Ouch 50$ a pop, Ill most likely stick this saw upstairs then :jawdrop:

Would the numbers help on the ID?

If its a Mac the complete rebuild kit cost me 50 on the nose from Bob Johnson. But mine has a choke instead of primer. I thought the Tillys had the primers and all the Mac flatbacks had the choke. I dont know that for certain but the Mac carb I have has a choke.

If its a Mac the complete rebuild kit cost me 50 on the nose from Bob Johnson. But mine has a choke instead of primer. I thought the Tillys had the primers and all the Mac flatbacks had the choke. I dont know that for certain but the Mac carb I have has a choke.

Flip that. I have HLs all over, never seen one with a primer.

Kits with gaskets and diaphragms only are available from Sugarcreek Supply ([email protected]) for a lot less than $50. Bryce (cheapchainsawparts) sells the Sugarcreek Supply kits on e-bay or you can go right to the source.

Other parts if needed can be found, Bob Johnson is the best first choice.

Some of the OEM metering diphragms from Bob have an extra hole or two for the Kart type carburetors that must be plugged to work in the saw carburetors. Have a look at my McCulloch carburetor thread for some more details - link below.

The only McCulloch flat back carburetors with the choke (that I have seen anyway) are on the Super 250's.

Saw carburetors normally had the primer, kart carburetors were the only ones without choke or primer. Even if the primer is shot you can use the McCulloch carburetor by priming it manually to get the saw going. Lots of us did that for years not knowing there was any other way. If the primer leaks badly you can always just plug the ports where the primer fits.

Mark

Kits with gaskets and diaphragms only are available from Sugarcreek Supply ([email protected]) for a lot less than $50. Bryce (cheapchainsawparts) sells the Sugarcreek Supply kits on e-bay or you can go right to the source.

Other parts if needed can be found, Bob Johnson is the best first choice.

Some of the OEM metering diphragms from Bob have an extra hole or two for the Kart type carburetors that must be plugged to work in the saw carburetors. Have a look at my McCulloch carburetor thread for some more details - link below.

The only McCulloch flat back carburetors with the choke (that I have seen anyway) are on the Super 250's.

Saw carburetors normally had the primer, kart carburetors were the only ones without choke or primer. Even if the primer is shot you can use the McCulloch carburetor by priming it manually to get the saw going. Lots of us did that for years not knowing there was any other way. If the primer leaks badly you can always just plug the ports where the primer fits.

Mark
Does Bob Johnson have a website?

As this is the McCulloch thread, I thought I would post a pic of my SP125C saw fitted out with its new (vintage) bar and chain combo.

The bar is a Cannon roller nose, fitted out with a new loop of .404 semi chisel, .063 gauge chain. I enjoy running this saw, and look forward to getting it into some decent timber someday.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chris, That's a real beauty. the challenge will be finding some big wood to cut, I hope your neighbors are tolerant.
I started up my "Pro 10-10 Automatic" when my father was over, all he said was I'm glad I don't live next door! :D

I forgot to mention that the bar is 42". Yes the sound of the Macs and Homelites I run certainly drowns out all of the neighbourhood noises. I would much rather listen to my saws than one of the locals yelling at her kids!
When I get my fleet of 125's in shape, I will have to fire them at the same time to really get things happening.

There is nothing like the sound of a big McCulloch.

:cheers:

Chris.

You guys are killing me.:D Yes McCullochs are worth hearing, I hear them 24/7, becarefull so that you won't. Chris, if you remove that outside set of spikes, it will look like a falling saw, not a bucking saw. You most certainly have quite a selection, now look for a Super 250 and it's heavyduty brother the 660, Yes, the real 660:ices_rofl:

As this is the McCulloch thread, I thought I would post a pic of my SP125C saw fitted out with its new (vintage) bar and chain combo.

The bar is a Cannon roller nose, fitted out with a new loop of .404 semi chisel, .063 gauge chain. I enjoy running this saw, and look forward to getting it into some decent timber someday.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats horrible looking saw, The bar is incorrect
and doesn't look right. You need to send the
whole mess to me.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sweet saw Chris, Those 42 inch rollers are my favorite.
Just can't find enough of them.

Lee

There is alot of talk about these Super 250's around the traps (Gmax yours is a fine example), so I may have to buckle under peer pressure and look out for one! I was resigning myself to collecting Macs which were over 100cc but have faltered here as well.

Yes Lee, the 42" roller bars are really nice. I managed to score a trio of these a short while ago - one of which you see here, another with the McCulloch mount, and the third with a large Homelite mount. I will set the Homelite bar up with either 1/2" or 9/16" chain on the 900G.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris, it would be an honor to add your name to the Super 250 Club roll call. The three founding members Mr. Bowsaw, McBob will administer initation rites. We don't discuss the third original member, it's simply not done. Anyway, the Saw Dr. collects the dues, remember that the back row is reserved for whiskey and cigars, new members have to wear the hat and cleanup after meetings.

Latest posts

Back