McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Randy passes on this 77 i would be interested.

Lee

I'll keep you in mind Lee. Randy and one other feller are first in line. I'll put you up next.

Heck, now it looks like I've gotta make a drive afterall. Hope it all works out. One of you fellers will get a big, rare Mac, and I'll have something fun for the next PNW GTG...:cheers:

I've been out of touch for a couple of days making my way home from Argentina but...if no one else jumps on the 77 I am certain I could find something in the way of trade or cash...please don't let it slip away from us.

Roland, I think if you take a die grinder and rough out a bit of a groove in that crack and fill it with JB weld you would have it fixed. You might need to make a bit of a dam and cover the bottom of the tank with the JB after a very thorough cleaning to make sure it seals and stays together. I know that Bob Johnson had a NOS oil tank for a saw like that before and may still have one available. I will try to remember to check with him next week.

Mark

I've been out of touch for a couple of days making my way home from Argentina but...if no one else jumps on the 77 I am certain I could find something in the way of trade or cash...please don't let it slip away from us.

Mark

I'll keep you in mind after Randy, OMG, and Lee. Going to get in touch with the seller again tomorrow. If I can't make the drive tomorrow I'll do it some time during the week. I certainly don't want it to slip away. My aim is for it to go to someone here in "the family".:givebeer:

I'll keep you in mind after Randy, OMG, and Lee. Going to get in touch with the seller again tomorrow. If I can't make the drive tomorrow I'll do it some time during the week. I certainly don't want it to slip away. My aim is for it to go to someone here in "the family".:givebeer:

It's a good thing that saws go where they are wanted. I have all the old style McCullochs that I want, anything more would be redundent. I filled a spot in the 87cc McCullochs with these 4-30s.

007.jpg

The next one to find is the Super44A.

It's a good thing that saws go where they are wanted. I have all the old style McCullochs that I want, anything more would be redundent. I filled a spot in the 87cc McCullochs with these 4-30s.

007.jpg

The next one to find is the Super44A.

Nice 4-30's Randy. I would have never thought
they had the power that they have till i ran one.
I have a non runner but i had the chance to run
a nice runner and that thing had some pull. Must
be with the geardrive. But boy was i ever impressed.

Lee

Sounds real good Roland! That is a pretty nasty crack. Looks like it took a pretty big hit to fracture the tank like that. Someone must have said some choice words when that happened. :bang:

To be honoust, I don't think the saw got a big hit, but do believe it's a casting or assembly failure. Will have a detailed look at it.

Come to think of it, Roland probably muttered a few similar expletives himself when he discovered the crack. :bang:

You got that right ...:laugh::laugh:

Roland, that break looks like it might need to be stop drilled to keep the fracture line from spreading. I hope to one day to be able to repair pot metal & magnesium/aluminum alloys with metal, or at least find someone competent who could do so. JB Weld would probably work, provided that the surface was roughened up enough to allow the epoxy to adhere properly. There is another product available here in the US called Seal-All. It is a contact adhesive & a sealant. Must be good stuff, for the first word on the top of the tube is "DANGER".

I think you are right, Vince. I will make a tiny drill hole to stop the crack from growing. JB might do the trick with a good surface preparation, and I'll try this before. My biggest concern is that when tightening the tank bolts again, some stress might cause it to crack again. If it doesn't work, I'll have to wait for a donor saw...

What is the part # for that tank? Does it have the automatic oil pump mounted on top?

Yes, it has the automatic oil pump on top. Part number should be 63060.

Last edited:
Well, the Mac77 program is on hold for the moment. Got the green light from The War Department for a Sunday family drive to go pick it up (that's the good news). Called the seller this morning, but was only able to get their machine. Called again an hour or so ago, and got the machine again. I get the impression they're out of contact frequently. The first time I contacted them, it took several days before they responded and sent me pics of the saw.

Hopefuly they'll call this evening so I can go get the saw tomorrow. I don't have to be back at work until Tuesday afternoon. Wish me luck my friends. If they call back tonight or tomorrow morning, we'll have a nice Mac 77 in the A.S. Mac family soon...:popcorn:

Well, the Mac77 program is on hold for the moment. Got the green light from The War Department for a Sunday family drive to go pick it up (that's the good news). Called the seller this morning, but was only able to get their machine. Called again an hour or so ago, and got the machine again. I get the impression they're out of contact frequently. The first time I contacted them, it took several days before they responded and sent me pics of the saw.

Hopefuly they'll call this evening so I can go get the saw tomorrow. I don't have to be back at work until Tuesday afternoon. Wish me luck my friends. If they call back tonight or tomorrow morning, we'll have a nice Mac 77 in the A.S. Mac family soon...:popcorn:

Best of luck.
Hope you do get it.

Lee

YAY! I joined the 100+ CC club!!

Went to a farm auction Saturday. Auction bill stated "McCullogh model 99 two man saw with 6 foot bar and 3 smaller McCullogh saws" Yes, that's the way they spelled it. :) The 2 man was complete, and had compression. It was in above average condition compared to the few others I have seen. I am still kicking myself for not getting it. It sold for 290 dollars.
I did get one of the "smaller" saws, a Super Pro 105! :clap: It was complete and in decent shape. Could not get it to fire, put in new plug, cleaned and gapped points, and gapped the coil. Pulled it and it fired! So I took it outside, gave it a squirt of juice down the carb, and it fired up, ran and idled great! Man, am I pumped! After recently running a couple of my 10-10's and my 1-60, I was honestly surprised at how quiet it is. It sounds real good, just not as loud as I expected. Up side: I paid 110 bucks for it. Looks complete and original. Downside: four fins are missing from the flywheel. I'm guessing someone broke two using a screwdriver to hold the flywheel, then broke the other two off to balance it. :censored: Also, the bar isn't in real good shape, and is just a 24 inch or so hardnose. All in all, I'm pleased with it.
I know, I know, without pics it didn't happen. Well, our desktop computer took a major blue screen dump, and the laptop doesn't have the photoshop software, so you'll just have to be patient with me.
The other saws were a 1-52 with a cracked clutch cover for 25 bucks, and a Super 44 in good shape for 80 bucks.
Jim

Went to a farm auction Saturday. Auction bill stated "McCullogh model 99 two man saw with 6 foot bar and 3 smaller McCullogh saws" Yes, that's the way they spelled it. :) The 2 man was complete, and had compression. It was in above average condition compared to the few others I have seen. I am still kicking myself for not getting it. It sold for 290 dollars.
I did get one of the "smaller" saws, a Super Pro 105! :clap: It was complete and in decent shape. Could not get it to fire, put in new plug, cleaned and gapped points, and gapped the coil. Pulled it and it fired! So I took it outside, gave it a squirt of juice down the carb, and it fired up, ran and idled great! Man, am I pumped! After recently running a couple of my 10-10's and my 1-60, I was honestly surprised at how quiet it is. It sounds real good, just not as loud as I expected. Up side: I paid 110 bucks for it. Looks complete and original. Downside: four fins are missing from the flywheel. I'm guessing someone broke two using a screwdriver to hold the flywheel, then broke the other two off to balance it. :censored: Also, the bar isn't in real good shape, and is just a 24 inch or so hardnose. All in all, I'm pleased with it.
I know, I know, without pics it didn't happen. Well, our desktop computer took a major blue screen dump, and the laptop doesn't have the photoshop software, so you'll just have to be patient with me.
The other saws were a 1-52 with a cracked clutch cover for 25 bucks, and a Super 44 in good shape for 80 bucks.
Jim
It didn't happen....

Jim, the flywheels will interchange back and forth between the big saws and the smaller units. If you don't have a 1-40/50 or 200/300/400/500 parts saw to take the flywheel off of let me know and I can throw one in.

At this time the next confirmed trip out east will be the third week of September but I will be as close as Claypool/Warsaw IN the week of 16 August. Hope to make the GTG in Iriquois, IL on 31 July but that schedule is still a bit up in the air.

Just to let you know, I am still waiting on my saws from Australia so I know how anxious you must be.

Mark

Jim, the flywheels will interchange back and forth between the big saws and the smaller units. If you don't have a 1-40/50 or 200/300/400/500 parts saw to take the flywheel off of let me know and I can throw one in.

I've got a 1-43 parts saw, that'll fit?? That would be awesome.

At this time the next confirmed trip out east will be the third week of September but I will be as close as Claypool/Warsaw IN the week of 16 August.Just to let you know, I am still waiting on my saws from Australia so I know how anxious you must be.

Mark

Mark, yer killin' me! Just kidding, I am anxious to get them, but I know they are in good hands. I'll think about Warsaw, that could be doable. My wife already thinks I'm nuts for driving 1 1/4 hours to stand for 3 1/2 hours in the sun in 90+ degree heat for a chainsaw. :hmm3grin2orange:
Jim

In the later 250 IPL there is a note that says "part numbers which have been changed since the previous printing of the illustrated parts list covering these saws, are indicated with a dash (-) preceeding the new part number."

I have exactly the same IPL drawing with the old number for the 1-43 (48485) and the new part number for the 250 (68282). The SP105 is the same 68282 part number as the 250, which is the same part number as the 1-43. Don't you love the way parts work back and forth on the good old McCulloch saws?

Mark

Best of luck.
Hope you do get it.

Lee

Thanks Lee. So do I. Still no contact from the seller. Left a message today asking them to call me whether or not the saw is already sold. It took several days for them to return my original email (asking for saw pics).............so all is not lost yet...:givebeer:

The felt filters are available from Baileys, pretty low cost and fast delivery to boot.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OEP+07204&catID=

You can cut the "bell" off and put a more conventional filter on the line, just be sure the pick up line is still long enough to let the filter reach the bottom of the tank or you will run out of fuel before the tank is empty. It may be possible to plug a regular filter through the bottom of the bell without cutting the fuel line at all.

Mark

The felt filters are available from Baileys, pretty low cost and fast delivery to boot.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OEP+07204&catID=

You can cut the "bell" off and put a more conventional filter on the line, just be sure the pick up line is still long enough to let the filter reach the bottom of the tank or you will run out of fuel before the tank is empty. It may be possible to plug a regular filter through the bottom of the bell without cutting the fuel line at all.

Mark
I think I'd just buy the standard filter..they're not that hard to install and don't work too bad.

One nice benefit of the felt fuel filters is that they will absorb water from the fuel mix. They should be allowed to air dry before being put back into serevice again.

On a similar note, old time mechanics used to remove water from gasoline by straining the gas through a chamois cloth.

Back