McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a chance to get some better pics for you guys to dissect!
I have Mac's and only know the names of 2, and that is it!
890, ?, and a G-70

I will post a couple pics of each below!

Thanks Guys!

attachment.php

Whats s Stihl guy like you doing with those dirty old Macs on your nice clean new bench? You should box them up and send them to me before your bench gets to dirty, mine is already dirty so it wont hurt. Looks like you have a real nice start to a Mac collection! :cheers:

Replacement Bearings and Seals

Any of you guys care to share interchange numbers for 10 series bearings and seals? I'm having trouble locating NOS bearings and using 30+ years old NOS seals just doesn't seem right to me. Thanks in advance. Ron

A good haul of parts and pieces

I visited and old McCulloch agent today with the view of picking up some parts for my 125's. I managed to get some nice wrap handles, including a new wider wrap bar to suit the chain brake version. I also got 2 x NOS 797 pistons, 1 std and the other 0.030" oversize. That was a nice score. A few more wrap bars for the older series saws, a spare 797 cylinder, 797 parts saw, 640 geardrive parts saw, a few SP / CP 125 tank and airbox covers and a 1-76 parts / possible rebuild saw as well. It was a good morning. I also picked up a nice SP125 / 105 and PM105 owners manual to complement the line up. The old Australian built (IEL AB) 'Blue Streak minor' was also an interesting find.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That looks interesting Randy - 101 kart engine perhaps? 797 frame ? You will have to keep us posted - that racing engines sticker is a beauty.

Well done on securing whatever it is. It is always nice to see these orphans going to a good home.

Regards,

Chris.

Any of you guys care to share interchange numbers for 10 series bearings and seals? I'm having trouble locating NOS bearings and using 30+ years old NOS seals just doesn't seem right to me. Thanks in advance. Ron

I can't help with cross over numbers as I don't have them recorded on my computer and I am away from home this week. The bearings and seals on the crank shaft are the same on the 600 Series saws (605, 610, 650, 655, Tmber Bear) as the 10 Series saws. Maybe your McCulloch guy just doesn't want to look back as far as the 10 Series but may look at the 600 Series parts.

I bought the PTO side needle bearings and seals on e-bay recently for $9 a set + $5 shipping, seller may have more if you care to search for it. The bearings and seals both have the mfg. numbers on them but again, I don't have access to them until the weekend at the earliest.

I expect Calvin (lawnmowertech37) would have them on hand, or give Bob Johnson a call as he has most everything for the 10 and 600 Series saws available as well.

Mark

Last edited:
Nice score Chris, I would be on that 797
and give here a good restoration. You got
a lot of nice goodies in there. The 797 pistons
are sweet.

Lee

Hi Lee - the 797 parts saw is in need of alot of parts to get her back running again. I guess I could hunt down the correct parts and rebuild it piece by piece, as the only parts I have to work with at the moment are the cylinders and the tank assy. It is fitted with a Tillotson carb - but I think I will put this on the Super 797 I have, as its Walbro SDC carb throttle shaft bore is flogged out. In the interim I will make up a shaft sleeve / bushing for the SDC carb as opposed to trying to find a complete assembly, and return it to the Super 797 at a later date.

The 1-76 parts saw is a much more viable option for resto / rebuild at this stage. I have enough saws to keep me going for a while, so will just have to try and stop looking for more!

Regards,

Chris.

Did all the 44A come with a 2 piece head?
Started to strip the saw apart to get a good look, and noticed a 2 piece head.
Ya I am new to the Macs, is this standard to the 44A??????? Just was looking for some knowledge!

Thanks guys!

attachment.php

Yep Teddy, you have a Super 44A. It's 87cc with a drophead. Kart equivalent is the MC-10. The Xs over the 55A is because the same block was used for the geardrive 55A. They did the same thing on the 1-70/80 and the early 700/800 series blocks.

Now here's a weird one. My Super 55a I recently got is stamped S55-486 on the bottom with the A off to the side. All I can figure is that this was a very early model 55a after the changeover built with a left over S55 block and they haphazardly punched the A into it. Yes, I have measured the stroke and it is a Super 55A.
attachment.php

Yep Teddy, you have a Super 44A. It's 87cc with a drophead. Kart equivalent is the MC-10. The Xs over the 55A is because the same block was used for the geardrive 55A. They did the same thing on the 1-70/80 and the early 700/800 series blocks.

Now here's a weird one. My Super 55a I recently got is stamped S55-486 on the bottom with the A off to the side. All I can figure is that this was a very early model 55a after the changeover built with a left over S55 block and they haphazardly punched the A into it. Yes, I have measured the stroke and it is a Super 55A.
attachment.php

Thanks cpr!!!!
COOL! never seen one, seems like a good idea.
But still not a saw I am planning on keeping!
Really needs them gears I adore!!! LOL!

Tune it up good and run it before you decide... It'll grow on you.

I know!!!!
It needs about $40-65 in parts(Ebay pricing) and that is just from a look over!
Will see, but if I keep finding the other gear drives, then this one will definitely just sit!

I can't help with cross over numbers as I don't have them recorded on my computer and I am away from home this week. The bearings and seals on the crank shaft are the same on the 600 Series saws (605, 610, 650, 655, Tmber Bear) as the 10 Series saws. Maybe your McCulloch guy just doesn't want to look back as far as the 10 Series but may look at the 600 Series parts.

I bought the PTO side needle bearings and seals on e-bay recently for $9 a set + $5 shipping, seller may have more if you care to search for it. The bearings and seals both have the mfg. numbers on them but again, I don't have access to them until the weekend at the earliest.

I expect Calvin (lawnmowertech37) would have them on hand, or give Bob Johnson a call as he has most everything for the 10 and 600 Series saws available as well.

Mark

Thank you. I'll start looking for 600 #'s. Ron

Back