McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hah ha, lets just say it doesn't on pump gas. Please don't be calling dibbs just yet, details are being worked out, shouldn't be too long.

It is the McCulloch in this pic.
Vestal.jpg

That looks like it powers a snowmobile, not a saw. Still, I stand in awe. As in Awe shucks, its not mine

Holy good GOD...

20hp saw...lol

I had to rep ya for that.

I think that if you had a weak set, just touching that saw would help you out.

This pretty much says it all. From the local fish wrap.

"Vestal Gardner Skaggs passed away June 28, 2010. Born January 14, 1950 in Crescent City to Dow and Flossie Skaggs, who preceded him in death. He grew up in Klamath and lived in Del Norte County his entire life. Vestal worked in the woods as a timber faller, later a tow truck driver and a mechanic before opening his own business. Vestal’s greatest passion was racing, starting his racing career in 1973 with his best friend Joe Wilson. He loved competing in logging shows, running hot saws, and the axe throw. Best known for his love of his wife and family and his extended family that were such a big part of his every day life. Vestal has left a hole that can never be filled"

Everytime I drive south of town past his shop, I almost pull in, I have gone as far as hitting the turn signal, before remembering he ain't there no more.

Dammitalltohell

I posted this awhile ago, my old buddy is on the right.

TreeLife0002.jpg

I have seen before, but can't find it, or the other 20 posts that explained the WHOLE Mac 125's!
What was the actual differences. (sp125, sp125c, ect.)
Is there one most preferred over the other as to changes made over the later???

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacob J has the tech stuff. I'll take a stab at it, the 797 it is a whole 'nother critter, no AV, righthand start and enough power to make your heart pound when you lit it up.
The CP125 was the first 123cc with a sort of an AV system, had a different motor than the 797 and the SP125, more beans than the SP, a bit less than the 797. A good compromise between the raw brute of the 797 and the de-tuned SP.

Alright, the 125 is the predecessor to the 797(in a nut shell)
What was with the:
CP 125
CP 125S
Super Pro 125
Super Pro125C

(besides the chain brake) I only can find a difference from when they were produced. Seems that they are all pretty much the same?.?.?.?.

Alright, the 125 is the predecessor to the 797(in a nut shell)
What was with the:
CP 125
CP 125S
Super Pro 125
Super Pro125C

(besides the chain brake) I only can find a difference from when they were produced. Seems that they are all pretty much the same?.?.?.?.

The 797 was first, the CP then the SP.
Better wait for JJ, I just beat them, didn't care about what made them different.

Here's JJ's 125 tech school copied from this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=135464

I got a little time while my lasagna is cooking, so here goes:

The 797 engine was birthed from the 101b yes, but the timing is not quite the same but close to a 101b. If you look at the piston, you'll see it's identical to that in the 101b. Later pistons from other 101 motors can't be easily interchanged without changing the rod as well, since there were minor variations in the crown height of the piston(s). There's a 101 piston with windows that's timed for the boost port blocks that works well in the 797 with the corresponding rod. There's a rod that's proprietary to the 101b, 101d, and 101AA that can be used in the 797 if you have the matching piston.

The 797 is part of the family of "Super Series" engines which include some of the kart engines and saw engines. The 797 blocks have the removable boost port "window" which later became boost ports actually cast into the block, seen on later kart engines and 125 saw motors. The 797 block is not a third-port block like the Mc20 kart engine or D44 saw motor.

Main 797 features: removable boost port window, bridged exhaust, hemispherical combustion chamber, horizontal-mounted coil, DSP-style compression release, right-hand start, moderately aggressive intake and transfer timing, same stuffer as stock 101b motor (w/cut-out for pulse oiling), crank w/bolt-on weights, and kart-mount style exhaust. The 797 Super would have the updated main bearings, different carb (usually SDC?), thin-ring piston.

The CP-125 block has the cast boost ports, slightly smaller combustion chamber, bridged exhaust, less aggressive intake and transfer timing, horizontal-mount coil, kart-mount style exhaust, single-reed intake manifold, and straight compression release. The piston in the CP motors should have cut-outs for the boost ports and came in both thin and thick-ring. The CP rod would use the 1/2" wrist pin with needle rollers in the piston rather than in the rod. The CP blocks are all steel sleeve blocks as are the 797s.

The SP-125 block has the large oval-shaped exhaust port (longest blow-down time of any of the saw blocks) w/different exhaust mounting, larger combustion chamber, lower intake and transfer timing, dual-reed intake manifold, diagonal-mounted ignition, and "hockey-puck" piston w/no cut-outs for boost ports. The rod in the SP motors uses a 9/16" wrist pin with needle bearings in the rod rather than in the piston. The SP pistons were usually thin-ring. The SP block came in both steel sleeve and chrome-lined bore. The SPs used the straight compression release and the funky squared off muffler with its own proprietary cover. These are not compatible on the Cp and 797 blocks. Cranks on the SPs had the welded-on weights.

Thank you cpr!

Looks like I want a SP over the CP.
I do like the Black heavy look over the mostly yellow though! LOL!

Thats a lot of great information. Would anybody be able to explain the function of the reeds. My guess is it acts as a sort of fuel and air agitator. But like I said that is a pure guess.

Thats a lot of great information. Would anybody be able to explain the function of the reeds. My guess is it acts as a sort of fuel and air agitator. But like I said that is a pure guess.

The way the saw is ported, the piston doesn't block off the intake. As the piston travels downward, it blows the mix up through the transfers, right in front of the intake. When this happens, the pressure differential closes the reeds so the mix just sucked in isn't blown right back out through the carb. That's the short version...

Thinking about how the cylinder is laid out that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I like understanding how what I am working on works.

Gonna have to get with it this fall and get the Super 250, 1-70, 1-72, Super 55A, and 1-82 out for an 87cc shootout! I think if I can find some appropriately sized wood, the geardrives will surprise some folks.

Gonna have to get with it this fall and get the Super 250, 1-70, 1-72, Super 55A, and 1-82 out for an 87cc shootout! I think if I can find some appropriately sized wood, the geardrives will surprise some folks.

CPR!!!!
You will also need a 650, 660, 4-30............................................
The

I have been working on getting one of each of the 87cc models, I have a pretty good start.

Back