McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going by Acres site on the 300 as being 80 cc but looking through the IPL's it seems the 300/380/650 all use the same crankshaft as the Super 250 which I must assume is 1.5" stroke making it 87 cc. The 660 is a different part number but the saw is listed as 87 cc.

I have the 300 and 380 covered as well as many of the others but still have a few holes in the 87 cc part of the line up.

Can anyone out there clear up the 440, is it in fact 87 cc or is it merely 80 cc?

I can't cross reference the crankshaft from the 440 IPL to any other known saw to verify the stroke/displacment.

Thanks,

Mark

According to Acers site its 87cc with a 1.5 stroke. And when I was watching one on Ebay a while ago the guy who was listing it sell a lot of Macs and always has his shop talk video and said it was 87cc too.

Mike Acres has a few mistakes in his McCulloch listings like the 1-52, 1-53, and the 300 are all actually 87 cc, but all are listed as 80 cc.

Well I can't figure out out to add it here to prove it but looking through some other IPL's I found a listing of specifications for the 440 and it confirms 1.5" stroke, 5.3 In³/87 cc.

I have that one covered thanks to Big Bore 77.

Mark

Last edited:
Other than design variations like front mount gas tank or top mount, is there any real difference in each 87cc model? Does one have more aggressive porting than the other? If so which would be the most aggressive do you think?

Mike's site has a few flaws, and it is the best source for us. The listing for the 660 shows it to be a righthand starter, there are other misscues.
As was McCulloch's way, motors were often used in both direct drives and geardrives, this practice goes way back.
The 660 shares the same motor as the Super 250, it will pull 60" bars if you need to, I have done so. I wasn't cutting any wussy green wood, but decade old Doug Fir on a stream bed. I earned my bucking spurs on the Bull Creek Drainage.

I can't prove it, yet, but I suspect the Super 44A may have as aggressive of porting as any of the saws other than the Super 250 and maybe even then.

McCulloch did a lot of subtle little things making saws different so there definitely are difference in the 87cc saws. Some would be higher speed, others more intended for torque, some just a bit mild to make them last longer.

It sure would be nice to have a real old McCulloch hand provide some better answers on which saws were which. I know in one thread JJ was commenting on the difference between the S44A and the 1-70. Both were in production about the same time but the 44's were fast and the 1-70's were more of a torque saw.

Mark

I will make sure to bring it along for the next PNW GTG assuming I receive notification in time to get the trip scheduled and the Super 44A prepared.

If I am home at all this week I can take a look, I think I may have another S44A that is currently a non-runner, in fact I think there is a S55A converted to direct drive in that bunch as well. How interested are you in getting your hands on one?

I could probably fill the truck with only 87 cc saws but what fun would that be?

Mark

Last edited:
what is the difference between a super pro 80 and 81

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry, I'm not usually such a smartarse, but I can't answer your question. So, I substituted humor for knowledge. :)

Last edited:
Just got this power mac 6 2 days ago almost fires got some work to do, appears to be a one handed trim

Unknow piston and cilinder

Hi fellas,
A friend of me have this p/c for some mc culloch chainsaw. You can see the piston serial, but the cilinder haven´t any number in any side. I think that could be for a 395, a Mc Culloch sold in Europe via Belgium. Anyone know anything about? Thanks:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Man I love to see NOS pistons and cylinders for old saws!:cheers:

I embark upon the epic Mac77 roadtrip tomorrow morning. Hope to pic up a Mac450 while I'm at it. Afterwards, it's off to work. Gonna be a lllooooonnnnggggg day, with lots of driving. Wish me luck gents!!!:givebeer:

Last edited:
We will also be on the road tomorrow, headed south to Ferndale for hats and chainsaws. Then back north to have lunch at the Samoa Cookhouse, a quick stop at the chainsaw mine in Arcata to see if anything turned up. I even washed the Ranchero, it's going to be a fun drive, get to see lots of trees, ocean, lagoons, streams, Elk and assorted touristas.

I would love to build something like this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDi71xjMpCM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDi71xjMpCM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Super pro 81 for the mac lovers

Found this saw on CL sunday. The guy was selling his dads saw who's passed away a few years ago. He's moving onto a house boat and didn't want to keep it. I had no problem giving him the $60 he was asking.
Came with a 2nd brand new chain to fit the 24" bar, a Mac file & joint guide, as well as assorted files and other trinkets.

I scraped 20 years of oil/sawdust inside and out. Cleaned the carb and anywhere else I could reach easily.
Found it's got electronic ignition which surprised me because no E after 81. Glad to find it.
Piston is beautiful, compression is 145.
Only downfall is the fixed carb.
But after a few pulls, she came back to life with a puff of smoke and after some fine tuning, purrs like a kitten.....a big (82cc.)kitten.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back