McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this saw on CL sunday. The guy was selling his dads saw who's passed away a few years ago. He's moving onto a house boat and didn't want to keep it. I had no problem giving him the $60 he was asking.
Came with a 2nd brand new chain to fit the 24" bar, a Mac file & joint guide, as well as assorted files and other trinkets.

I scraped 20 years of oil/sawdust inside and out. Cleaned the carb and anywhere else I could reach easily.
Found it's got electronic ignition which surprised me because no E after 81. Glad to find it.
Piston is beautiful, compression is 145.
Only downfall is the fixed carb.
But after a few pulls, she came back to life with a puff of smoke and after some fine tuning, purrs like a kitten.....a big (82cc.)kitten.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I thought the E meant it was electric start. I used to work for a fellow that used a Mac 6-10E and his had electric start. Might have been 7-10, not sure but I am sure about it being an electric start and having the E on the decal.

I thought the E meant it was electric start. I used to work for a fellow that used a Mac 6-10E and his had electric start. Might have been 7-10, not sure but I am sure about it being an electric start and having the E on the decal.

Electric start? Like you press a button and vroom?

Exactly! McCulloch made some electric start chainsaws. The battery pack was in the bottom part of the rear handle. Other than for a collector's item I really wouldn't want one.

It would pretty much kill the strong arm "impress the chicks" factor.....

There were three electric start 10 Series saws, 3-10E, 5-10E, and 10-10E. The starter/generator were built in to the flywheel with an extra set of stator windings fixed to the saw. With batteries they are a bit heavy. One tree service guy told me they thought it would be more convenient using the electric start rather than pulling a starter rope while in the bucket, but the added weight of the saw meant it wasn't really any easier to use at the end of the day.

I have a 3-10E and a 5-10E, I went all out on the 3-10E and had a new battery pack made up at a local Batteries Plus store but they cost $70 so I don't think I'll do that again. The 5-10E that Warjohn picked up for me does start and run, but I haven't checked to see if the charging portion it working.

Still looking for a 10-10E to round out that portion of the collection.

There was a video of the 3-10E starting and cutting a cant in the thread from the Reinbeck, IA GTG last fall.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

I'm looking for pretty much the entire recoil starter for for a McCulloch Mini Mac 35 Model# 600091U

I need the following:

110706 Screw-Pan hd 8-18 x 1/2
68497 Washer-Special
92316A Drum/Rope Asy or 83203 Rope-Starter and 83876 Drum-Starter
83078 Spring-Rewind
91255 Kit-Starter handle

I also need an air filter (85127) and seal (84918)

Thanks!

Newb with with first post/question

I have a question (problem) with my Mac. Ask here or start new thread in the "general" area?

Hiya gents. Would one of you please send me an IPL for the Mac77? Zip me a PM and I'll send you my email addy. Gotta make sure the saw's complete. Looking in paticular at the bar mount studs and adjuster assembly.

This is a complicated saw. All kinds of buttons and levers. I can now see why they were so expensive back in 1957. If somebody has an operator's manual for one (or a Mac49....basicaly the same saw) that'd be great too.

Thanks!:clap:

PM me with your e-mail address and I can send the 77 IPL tonight, I will be one the road all day today.

The chain adjuster looks to be very similar to the system used on the other large gear drive McCullochs. Check cheapchainsawparts on e-bay as he has a lot of part for the 74/77 listed right now.

Mark

attachment.php

PM me with your e-mail address and I can send the 77 IPL tonight, I will be one the road all day today.

The chain adjuster looks to be very similar to the system used on the other large gear drive McCullochs. Check cheapchainsawparts on e-bay as he has a lot of part for the 74/77 listed right now.

Mark

Thank you Mark for the picture, and for the IPL offer. RandyMac sent me an IPL last night. Looks like I need the whole bar clamp/adjuster assembly (#19682), and one bar stud (#19416A). The front stud was replaced with a bolt. The bar is held on with washers and nuts only..............no adjuster. People do the strangest things when working on saws sometimes...

I'll check cheapchainsawparts on ebay. I believe he has a complete adjuster assembly for a 4-30. Would that work on this saw if I can't find one from a Mac 49 or 77? Also, will a bar stud from a Mac35A work on this saw? I have a 35A that I could mug for the stud. May just see if I can get one from cheapsawparts though. I think I'm missing the sheet metal bar plates too...

Thanks again,

-Aaron

Hiya gents. Would one of you please send me an IPL for the Mac77? Zip me a PM and I'll send you my email addy. Gotta make sure the saw's complete. Looking in paticular at the bar mount studs and adjuster assembly.

This is a complicated saw. All kinds of buttons and levers. I can now see why they were so expensive back in 1957. If somebody has an operator's manual for one (or a Mac49....basicaly the same saw) that'd be great too.

Thanks!:clap:

Would love to see a few pictures of that big old beast Eccentric! They are seldom seen amongst the giants.

Regards,

Chris.

Back