McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of a surprise: Mac 1-71 - 740

Hi,

I bought this saw the other day - thinking it was a 1-71. I purchased it from looking at one photograph, which was taken from the right hand side of the saw. The early style recoil cover was what had me believing that it was a 1-71 model saw. The saw arrived this morning and when unpacking it I noticed that it was an auto oiler. Checking the numbers on the saw revealed that it is really a 740, and has been fitted with the starter assy and airbox cover from a 1-71.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm looking at a 797 that a guy sent me pictures of. He was told it was not a 797 but it has a 797 air filter cover. What other models could use that air filter cover. If it's not a 797 what else could it be?

I'm looking at a 797 that a guy sent me pictures of. He was told it was not a 797 but it has a 797 air filter cover. What other models could use that air filter cover. If it's not a 797 what else could it be?

It could be a number of different models.
From a 1-72, 740, 790, 795, etc.
Is it a geardrive or direct drive. I was looking
at a 797 and the pic's the seller sent showed
it to be a geardrive so it wasn't a 797.
Look at the bottom of the block and let us
know what numbers are stamped in it.

Lee

Hi Scott,

The 797 cover will fit a number of models. Does the saw have the DSP decomp system fitted ? What are the serial numbers on the lower side of the cylinder ? A few pics of the saw itself will help.

Regards,

Chris.

1-72/82 through 1-76/86 plus all the 700/800s share the filter cover. Get numbers off the bottom.

Most likely saws are any of the 700 Series, 740, 790, 795, 797.

Others that look similar are 1-70 Series but the external points/condenser on the 1-70 give them away, later ones look more like the 700's.

attachment.php

attachment.php

1-70
attachment.php

1-71 in front
attachment.php

There may be a CP125 that is similar as well but I don't have anything like that in my collection so far.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, do you ever have trouble with corrosion with any of your Macs? I bought one the other day that I knew was corroded but didn't realize it had corroded so much that the gas tank leaked. I posted this problem elsewhere on AS but thought you might miss it. Is there any repair other than replacing the tank?

Old McCulloch = corrosion problems.

As Brian has described, I bead blast and have had good success putting tape on the outside and JB Weld on the inside, really makes for a nice repair. I have patched both fuel tanks and gear cases this way and so far they seem to hold up very well.

I did coat the inside of a couple of fuel tanks with POR 15, one seemed to hold up very well, and one looks to be bubbling up a bit. I wish I had a better solution for coating the inside of the fuel tanks but I think it is difficult to come up with a product that is reasonably economical for use in very small batches.

Gear case halves for the 640 blasted, patched, and coated with POR15
attachment.php

Here you can see where the hole came all the way through, a piece of tape to cover the hole from the outside and JB Weld inside
attachment.php

Tank top half from the 840 blasted, holes patched, and coated with POR15, if I did this again I would put some grease on the threads of the fuel cap, I spent a fair bit of time with a dental pick cleaning the coating out of the thread ever with several layers of saran wrap over the fuel cap threads.
attachment.php

Mark

Am I right to presume the huge foam/material in the gas tank of the Super 44 A is a fuel filter? Ive never seen anything like it. It had a lot of gunk in the tank:censored:
But it does have good fire so maybe tommorow I can see if it will run.

Am I right to presume the huge foam/material in the gas tank of the Super 44 A is a fuel filter? Ive never seen anything like it. It had a lot of gunk in the tank:censored:
But it does have good fire so maybe tommorow I can see if it will run.

You are correct, it is a huge
fuel filter. Probably designed to
last the life time of the saw.
I have a Super 44A with the
same setup. I'm going to eliminate
it and try to go with a conventional set up.

Lee

Thanks Lee!
It is pretty nasty but I am going to wash it out, blow it out and try to get it cleaned up.
Really hope this ol beast fires to life!

Old McCulloch = corrosion problems.

As Brian has described, I bead blast and have had good success putting tape on the outside and JB Weld on the inside, really makes for a nice repair. I have patched both fuel tanks and gear cases this way and so far they seem to hold up very well.

I did coat the inside of a couple of fuel tanks with POR 15, one seemed to hold up very well, and one looks to be bubbling up a bit. I wish I had a better solution for coating the inside of the fuel tanks but I think it is difficult to come up with a product that is reasonably economical for use in very small batches.

Gear case halves for the 640 blasted, patched, and coated with POR15
attachment.php

Here you can see where the hole came all the way through, a piece of tape to cover the hole from the outside and JB Weld inside
attachment.php

Tank top half from the 840 blasted, holes patched, and coated with POR15, if I did this again I would put some grease on the threads of the fuel cap, I spent a fair bit of time with a dental pick cleaning the coating out of the thread ever with several layers of saran wrap over the fuel cap threads.
attachment.php

Mark
The place where mine leaks is in a corner where the tank hangs down. I doubt if tape would stick to the outside where it's corroded. I wonder if I could use some fiberglass cloth in the inside corner and cover it with JB Weld? I've also seen a few gas tanks on ebay but they're not for the 1-42. I wonder if some of the other 1-40 series tanks will fit it. They look pretty much the same as mine. Of course they may have leaks too.

The large felt pad in the bottom of the tank is indeed the fuel filter.

I have an advertisement showing how you can pour water (soda in the ad) and saw dust/wood chips in the tank and the saw just keeps on running.

The large felt filter will absorb a lot of water, and since the filter area is so large it will take a lot of dirt to block it.

Mark

How big is the hole? If it is small enough you might be able to just let the JB get a little tacky and form it to your hole and then put on a second coat from the inside.

d44 rebuild/upgrades?

i have a d44 that is locked up.i want to rebuild it and was wondering about bigger cylinders,cranks,etc?are these parts available?

Back