McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Teddy you pup.

I have read elsewhere that doing away with the governor is a good thing on some McCullochs. Al Smith mentioned his old 44 really woke up without the governor, I trust what Al says.

Re: Governor

Most of the Mac engines don't need a governor. Remember that many of the kart engines are built with the same parts from the saw engines (needle rollers, connecting rods, pistons, etc.) and turn over twice the RPM of the saw engines and last in service for years.

Yes, I only need the part that fits in the shaft of the carb. and it is a flatback.
Bob in NY had everthing except that part. Tom

I will take a lot tomorrow to see if
i may have it. But as others have said,
You don't need the governor.
I have a couple saws that had it but
are long gone now. The later saws such
as 795, 895, 797 did not have them.

Lee

Certainly the saws can be operated without the governor, but you will need to come up with some alternate way to insure the throttle opens. On governored models the spring on the air vane governor shaft pushes the throttle open and the air vane pushes it closed. The throttle linkage is there just to allow it to open up, does not really push it open.

I hope that makes some sense. I need to look through my stuff, I may have one of those carburetors lurking around some where.

attachment.php

Mark

Lee

It seems that the consense is I do not need it and I know that there is more knowledge here that I have on saws. That is why I read ever post.
Do not look for the part. I will set The saw up without it and once I get it running I will check back with you if I think I need it. Thanks for all the information and help. Tom

Worked on a plastic Mac today, a Mac Titan 35. Got it running by replacing the fuel lines and cleaning the Tillotson carb. It was pretty easy to work on compared to the mini-macs that I have sworn off and put on a shelf to never be spoken of again. Hopefully I can come across a real Mac at come point in the future. There is a junk yard a few miles away that are supposed to be pulling about seven or eight saws for me, a mix of Lombards and Macs, hope I can do something with them.

If you look at the photo above, you can see a hole in the lever arm on the throttle shaft; you should be able to modify your linkage just a bit to engage it in that hole and run the throttle open and closed.

Mark

I will try that. Thanks Tom

Jimdad - I have a Titan57 that I picked up recently. I had to replace all of the oil and fuel lines as well, now it seems to start and run nicely and oils freely.

I ran it in some wood a short bit without the oiler but didn't want to do any more than that. I must say is does accelerate nicely and revs up pretty high. Now I just need an excuse to go cut some wood.

Mark

Jimdad - I have a Titan57 that I picked up recently. I had to replace all of the oil and fuel lines as well, now it seems to start and run nicely and oils freely.

I ran it in some wood a short bit without the oiler but didn't want to do any more than that. I must say is does accelerate nicely and revs up pretty high. Now I just need an excuse to go cut some wood.

Mark

I'm still very much in the learning stages of how to work on saws and the many little tricks to working on them. I am finding that the bigger the saw, the easier it is to work on. That little Titan 35 was a nice change from those darn mini-macs. The oiler worked great when I got the saw running, the saw has not been run in over ten years. It is my wife's uncle's saw, he likes to drop off junk saws he's been holding onto ever since I started getting into this. Getting some good learning though. I learned how to tear down and rebuild a 660evl because of him, hard handing them back over after you put that kind of time into them.

Belgian,
That's an interesting air cover. I have an old Mac with 595 stamped on the block, but it was also marked 550. I'm not sure what I have. Other than a big project.

Tom

I had found evidence in service manuals that McCulloch of Belgium sold the 395 and 595 model over here. Since nobody in the US could answer me what they really were, I have been searching for these models to find out.

The 395 turned out to be a true 250super, in every detail. With the 595 I found yesterday, I can confirm that it was a 550super. Why McCulloch marketed these models separately for a while (the 250S and 550S as such were also sold during a period of time), remains a mystery.

Both the 395 and 595 I have did not have the silver metal ID plate on it, but they could be identified by the serial number on the block (and measuring the bore/stroke) to confirm. MY 595 has serial number 83090.

What's the serial number on your saw ?

Ok Im sending out my SOS to any macaholics that understand what im going thru. My MAC addiction is getting outta hand. Ive gotten a collection started ever since i fixed my mac 790 this past spring....now i have two 10-10s's a pro mac 55....a timber bear.....and last friday i picked up an almost prestine
1-70. My mac 1-70 has a problem...it has a clutch side starter....that wont engage...I took the cover apart and i have a starter pawl missing. Is that reapairable? Ive looked for the starter pawls on ebay but none are available...I see some for a 1-50...would they work? If not does anyone have a set they would sell to bring this thing to life? PM me....I'll even buy the whole clutch if anyone has one for sale...Im now a collector so its not to resell on ebay. I promise!:cheers: This is stressful..i have a new saw and i cant find out if it runs or not!:confused::censored:

My mac 1-70 has a problem...it has a clutch side starter....that wont engage...I took the cover apart and i have a starter pawl missing. Is that reapairable? Ive looked for the starter pawls on ebay but none are available...I see some for a 1-50...would they work? If not does anyone have a set they would sell to bring this thing to life? PM me....I'll even buy the whole clutch if anyone has one for sale...Im now a collector so its not to resell on ebay. I promise!:cheers: This is stressful..i have a new saw and i cant find out if it runs or not!:confused::censored:

The clutch on your 1-70 was used on a number of mac saws. I would recommend replacing the one existing pawl at the same time so that both pawls will equally engage the shaft and ratchet assembly, which I would also recommend replacing. Starting off fresh will help prolong the years of service you should get since the new parts will all mesh with each other properly and engage evenly.

The clutch used on all of the large frame right hand start saw (other than gear drives) are the same so you can use any from a D-44 all the way through the 797. That includes the 44 Series saws, 1-70 Series, the 440, and 700 Series saws. There may be a few more that I missed in the list. The 1-50 is a left hand starter with the pawls in the flywheel so that won't help you in this case.

If you really can't find one, I am sure to have a few spares in the attic.

Since this is the McCulloch thread I'll make mention of the fact that I only list my running saws in the signature, I probably have double that number in completes-non running, and half again as many in parts saws...when you start bringing home 5 saw or more per week you can claim CAD.

I guess it's a good thing I travel out of the country or by plane a few weeks each month, otherwise I'd have run out of storage space a long time ago.

This past weeks additions include 4-30, 1-61, 10-10, Super 55 (two parts saws), Power Mac 6, 650, and Sachs Dolmar 123. I almost forgot, a Target Quickie cut off saw based on the McCulloch 795 power head. When I parked it beside my Stowe version of the cut off saw I realized the Target has the blade to the right, and the Stowe has the blade mounted to the left.

Mark

Lee

Lee, I checked my saw today and I will need the part in question . The throttle return spring works off it. If I can not find one I will have to jury -rig a throttle return spring. Thanks Tom

Tom, I just looked through my small pile
of mac carbs and can't find what you need.
I thought i had one of those left over from
one of my 797G builds but can't seem to
find it.
If i come across it i will let you know.

Lee

Tom, I just looked through my small pile
of mac carbs and can't find what you need.
I thought i had one of those left over from
one of my 797G builds but can't seem to
find it.
If i come across it i will let you know.

Lee

Thanks for checking and the reply. I will find one somewhere or jury rig it. Thanks Tom

Just letting everyone know I posted a bar for a Mac with a D11 mount on the swap meet thread. It's 30 1/2 total hard nose. If your interested, check it out over there.

Pro Mac 700 & 555

My brother just gave me a Pro Mac 700 and a 555. The 700 is hardly use and almost like new. Not sure how old it is but it is a cutting machine :D.

Latest posts

Back